PDA

View Full Version : Ted Kennedy = Edward Kennedy

KitchenKitten99
08-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Ok... how did he get named "Ted"?

I fully admit that I thought Edward M. Kennedy and Ted Kennedy were two different people, knowing that the Kennedys were a big family and I never bothered to know all their names and what they do/did (if anything).

However today I find out they were the same guy. :o

And here I heard "Senator Ted Kennedy" passed away from a brain tumor and then read on a headline that "Senator Edward Kennedy" passed away...thinking two Kennedys died within 24 hours of each other.

How did He come to be named "Ted"?

I tried a couple searches but no success.

Noir
08-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Yar, that got me too.

Also John Kennedy was also Jack Kennedy,
=/
plain weird.

Gaffer
08-26-2009, 06:55 PM
It's confusing because the kennedy's used so many nick names. Edward was Ted. John was Jack. The real Jack died in WW2. Robert was Bobbie. The sisters and wives had a variety of names too.

You can't tell a kennedy without a score card.

I really don't remember why he was called ted, but I read or heard about years ago. I really don't care to look it up again. A lot of the really bad things that happened over the last 40 wouldn't have happened if he had just drowned with Mary Jo.

KitchenKitten99
08-26-2009, 07:15 PM
It's confusing because the kennedy's used so many nick names. Edward was Ted. John was Jack. The real Jack died in WW2. Robert was Bobbie. The sisters and wives had a variety of names too.

You can't tell a kennedy without a score card.

I really don't remember why he was called ted, but I read or heard about years ago. I really don't care to look it up again. A lot of the really bad things that happened over the last 40 wouldn't have happened if he had just drowned with Mary Jo.

Jack=John confused me too because i found a short version of the Kennedy family tree (see this link (http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/082609_familytree.pdf) ) and nowhere does 'Jack' show up in the listings!
What is wrong with just using your given name (a shortened or classic variation/version is ok) or have a nickname that isn't one you would give to someone for a legal first name?

That's like naming my son Benjamin Martin (which is his name) then just calling him Jim. I dunno... the Kennedy's are just an eff-ed up family I guess.

I really thought "Ted" 's first name was Theodore or something close to that.

:cuckoo:

Gaffer
08-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Jack=John confused me too because i found a short version of the Kennedy family tree (see this link (http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/082609_familytree.pdf) ) and nowhere does 'Jack' show up in the listings!
What is wrong with just using your given name (a shortened or classic variation/version is ok) or have a nickname that isn't one you would give to someone for a legal first name?

That's like naming my son Benjamin Martin (which is his name) then just calling him Jim. I dunno... the Kennedy's are just an eff-ed up family I guess.

I really thought "Ted" 's first name was Theodore or something close to that.

:cuckoo:

Don't feel bad, the whole country was totally confused about them for 50 years. I'm sure with him dead the networks will be putting out all sorts of stuff on the kennedy's (again). Probably a months worth on the history channel. I'm glad my TV isn't hooked up, you all are going to have a week of funeral and remembrance shows now. He was a darling of the media after all.

He was also the reason for the fall of Vietnam and the slaughters in Cambodia. But they will forget to mention that.

Trigg
08-28-2009, 02:44 PM
A lot of bigger families have nicknames for the different kids.

My husbands family has so many different names that half the time I don't know their real names until someone gets married or has a baby shower.

Sara=Toogie
Ronald=Bud
Luther=Butch
Genida= Wapie
Seldon=Aggie
Danielle=Danny
Sofia=Fia
Uncle Sandy=Sam
Uncle Merlin=Stacy

Anyway small example of nicknames of some of hubbies cousins. Large families are different from small, people have more of a need to stand out. Hubby has 17 aunts and uncles and 40+ cousins