PDA

View Full Version : Revamp of Afghan military strategy

Noir
09-01-2009, 05:55 AM
It'll be interesting to see if the stratagy changes with the release of this new report.

General Stanley McChrystal acknowledged drawbacks of the approach used for the past eight years
The top US commander in Afghanistan, General Stanley McChrystal, yesterday called for a complete revamp of military strategy in the country, in a sweeping review of operations that acknowledges the disastrous approach of the last eight years and may pave the way for a demand for more troops.
The revised strategy, in the face of the Taliban's expanding influence and waning support for the Kabul government, changes the emphasis from engaging directly with militants to winning the hearts and minds of the Afghan population, officials in Washington and Nato headquarters said.
McChrystal portrayed the recent strategy of western forces as the equivalent of a lumbering bull attacking a matador's cape, gradually tiring and finally being killed off. The general, appointed earlier this year, is to go to Washington later this month to advise Barack Obama on whether he needs more troops in adaddition to the 108,000 international troops already there.
The recommendations came as two further British soldiers were killed yesterday, compounding what is the deadliest year for foreign troops since the 2001 invasion. The deaths of the soldiers from The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland, took the total number of deaths of UK service personnel since operations began in 2001 to 210. The soldiers were killed in a blast while on patrol north of Lashkar Gah, in Helmand province, the Ministry of Defence said. Two American soldiers were also killed in an explosion, the US military said.
Britain is not expected to announce a major increase in the number of its troops in Afghanistan, whatever the US does. Senior British military sources say Britain has effectively increased its contribution by maintaining the extra number of troops sent to Afghanistan this year to help with the elections.
After sending his report to the Pentagon and Nato headquarters, McChrystal said yesterday that, despite the lost ground, victory was still possible. "The situation in Afghanistan is serious, but success is achievable and demands a revised implementation strategy, commitment and resolve, and increased unity of effort."
McChrystal has already begun to implement the new strategy, ordering his forces not to fire or drop bombs if there is a risk of civilian casualties. He has also shifted the focus from the eradication of the poppy crop, which alienated farmers, to attacking drug traffickers.
A key part of this approach is advocating that US, British and other international forces not only train Afghan forces but operate alongside them.
The basis of McChrystal's assessment is contained in guidelines he sent to troops last week in which he said: "The conflict will be won by persuading the population, not by destroying the enemy."

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gmg/op/sFKVMju8Scbp0XkxrBkdEvQ/view.m?id=164679&tid=120787&cat=United_States

Nukeman
09-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Herre's the plus side. WE know all their tactics since after all WE Trained all the Taliban. Soo many forget that little tid bit.

Not only did we arm the Taliban WE even help radicalize the populace. Now we are reaping what we sow so to speak. We did this just to punish/embarrass the USSR and now we have the mess to contend with.

Our CIA and other "world organizations" need to get the hell out of that country let it attempt to stabilize and offer help!!!!!!!

glockmail
09-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Obama's not going to commit troops for fear of losing his liberal base, although they'll tolerate keeping the same level. Therefore more US troops will die and we'll eventually lose altogether.

Gaffer
09-01-2009, 09:25 AM
The afghan's are muslims. As long as they are muslims there will be fighting there. Want to end the war. Eradicate the muslims. Force the population to convert to something else or die. Outlaw islam.

We didn't teach the taliban anything except how to aim stingers. The tactics and fanaticism was their own as it is today. The dark lord is only doing what he has too there. Nothing more that. He doesn't want a winning situation and he can't afford to pull out completely at this time.

Noir
09-01-2009, 09:49 AM
The afghan's are muslims. As long as they are muslims there will be fighting there. Want to end the war. Eradicate the muslims. Force the population to convert to something else or die. Outlaw islam.

We didn't teach the taliban anything except how to aim stingers. The tactics and fanaticism was their own as it is today. The dark lord is only doing what he has too there. Nothing more that. He doesn't want a winning situation and he can't afford to pull out completely at this time.

Wow.

Eradicate all the Muslims? Gee, dun't really know what to say to that,
But while you're at it i guess you better Eradicate all Muslim countries, even ones that aren't involved in any sort of war yeah?

Seriously though, wow!

Gaffer
09-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Wow.

Eradicate all the Muslims? Gee, dun't really know what to say to that,
But while you're at it i guess you better Eradicate all Muslim countries, even ones that aren't involved in any sort of war yeah?

Seriously though, wow!

That would be the solution. I do realize it's not possible.

If you think about it though. The muslims are much like the Japanese before and during WW2. They were fanatical with Bushido. They worshiped the emperor as a god. Committing suicide in his name. Dying to the last man on the islands they controlled.

Emperor worship was outlawed by the US after their surrender. The religion was snuffed out completely. Japan is a completely different and peaceful society now.

Wouldn't you like to see scientology outlawed and eradicated.

Noir
09-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Hm, eradicate, soloution, then the irony to mention WW2, srsly dude?

Also, I want to see the business of $cientology outlawed and the criminals behind it put i'm jail. But I hold nothing against the religion and the beliefs of it.

Gaffer
09-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Hm, eradicate, soloution, then the irony to mention WW2, srsly dude?

Also, I want to see the business of $cientology outlawed and the criminals behind it put i'm jail. But I hold nothing against the religion and the beliefs of it.

But their beliefs are what make them criminals. Give them time to grow and I'm sure they will inspire martyrs as well.

As for eradicating islam. It can be done without killing everyone involved in the religion. Practice islam, go to prison. Remove islam from the government. There's plenty that can be done without killing off entire populations. The Jews were never given a chance to convert. A Jew who converted to Christianity was still a Jew in the eyes of the nazis.

If we can treat all scientology cult members as criminals why can't we treat all muslims as criminals.

Noir
09-01-2009, 04:19 PM
But their beliefs are what make them criminals. Give them time to grow and I'm sure they will inspire martyrs as well.

As for eradicating islam. It can be done without killing everyone involved in the religion. Practice islam, go to prison. Remove islam from the government. There's plenty that can be done without killing off entire populations. The Jews were never given a chance to convert. A Jew who converted to Christianity was still a Jew in the eyes of the nazis.

If we can treat all scientology cult members as criminals why can't we treat all muslims as criminals.

Righto, two topics to deal with here, the first being Muslims, the second being $cientoligists.

Muslims- So it's ok to kill them all/lock them up aslong as you have given them a chance to convert first? Gee, how nice of you.
Dare I ask what you would think if you heard that coming from a Muslim? 'oh we'll give christains a chance to convert to Islam, and if they don't we'll kill them or lock them up.
What was there? A half price sale on pots and kettles of the colour black today?

$cientology- Were have I said that all $cientologists are all criminals, it is only the folk at the top, and members of the OSA who have commuted the criminal acts, most $cientoligists are victims of the Co$, being milked of their money and having their lives ruined the in the process. So I'll say again, and don't get the two confused, I am against the head of the Co$ and the OSA for their criminal activities, I am not against the people, and their right for freedom of religion.

Gaffer
09-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Righto, two topics to deal with here, the first being Muslims, the second being $cientoligists.

Muslims- So it's ok to kill them all/lock them up aslong as you have given them a chance to convert first? Gee, how nice of you.
Dare I ask what you would think if you heard that coming from a Muslim? 'oh we'll give christains a chance to convert to Islam, and if they don't we'll kill them or lock them up.
What was there? A half price sale on pots and kettles of the colour black today?

$cientology- Were have I said that all $cientologists are all criminals, it is only the folk at the top, and members of the OSA who have commuted the criminal acts, most $cientoligists are victims of the Co$, being milked of their money and having their lives ruined the in the process. So I'll say again, and don't get the two confused, I am against the head of the Co$ and the OSA for their criminal activities, I am not against the people, and their right for freedom of religion.

Ummmm Ever notice the muslims have made that demand of us already. Convert or die. I am proposing the same thing be applied to them as they actually do. Go to any muslim country and try to establish a church of any kind. There is no tolerance of other religions in islam. Only patience until they can destroy the other religions.

The cos can hardly be called a religion. In your research have you found what they worship? The followers of that cult are sheeple. Like most muslims they follower their leaders and do as they are told. Do you actually believe you will get rid of the religion and the problems by arresting all the leaders, or will they just select new leaders and carry on as usual?

Noir
09-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Ummmm Ever notice the muslims have made that demand of us already. Convert or die. I am proposing the same thing be applied to them as they actually do. Go to any muslim country and try to establish a church of any kind. There is no tolerance of other religions in islam. Only patience until they can destroy the other religions.

Ofcourse some countries with Islam as their main religion and law do have that attitude, which you no doubt think is wrong, as do I.
But to then adopt the same attitude to them is a best hypocritical, and at worst just plain stupid.

The cos can hardly be called a religion. In your research have you found what they worship? The followers of that cult are sheeple. Like most muslims they follower their leaders and do as they are told. Do you actually believe you will get rid of the religion and the problems by arresting all the leaders, or will they just select new leaders and carry on as usual

Indeed I do believe they ar a cult, and I have looked into what they believe , somthing the Co$ would rather you did not know until you have handed them large sums of money. And on the whole it's jibberish, 70 million years ago, alien race, Xanu, alien sprigs bound to men ect ect, however, while I think it's all a load of non-sense if someone wants to believe that then fair enough. My only problem is with the criminal activities of the Co$ who use religion to mask their acts. Maybe when the current leadership are removed another will step into place. This is why our main goal is to teach what $cientology is to the regular man in the street, with less new members, and thus less new money for the grinder, the business that is $cientology will crumble.