PDA

View Full Version : Nappy headed hos

Yurt
04-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Wonder if these "nappy headed hos" will speak up more about these nappy headed bruthas saying such things.

Dilloduck
04-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Wonder if these "nappy headed hos" will speak up more about these nappy headed bruthas saying such things.

Not if they wanna get paid. :laugh2:

manu1959
04-13-2007, 09:37 PM

first of all none off them had nappy heads....they all had "cracker hair"......and i doubt anyone was payin dem for head....anyone want to be the token crackers never got a game?

Yurt
04-13-2007, 09:48 PM
first of all none off them had nappy heads....they all had "cracker hair"......and i doubt anyone was payin dem for head....anyone want to be the token crackers never got a game?

:coffee:

gabosaurus
04-13-2007, 11:28 PM
So what do idiot rappers have to do some elderly nutcase radio hosts spouting racial comments on the air?
Imus was fired. Maybe they will get rid of the rappers next.

Yurt
04-14-2007, 11:09 AM
And in the words of our esteemed black males:

Comparing Don Imus' language with hip-hop artists' poetic expression is misguided and inaccurate and feeds into a mindset that can be a catalyst for unwarranted, rampant censorship," Simmons said in a statement Friday.

The superstar rapper Snoop Dogg also denied any connection to Imus. "(Rappers) are not talking about no collegiate basketball girls who have made it to the next level in education and sports," he told MTV.com. "We're talking about hos that's in the 'hood that ain't doing ---- that's trying to get a n---- for his money."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070413/ap_on_en_mu/imus_rap;_ylt=AkqUd4cAuBNOtqrAyDuYvxAEtbAF

KarlMarx
04-14-2007, 11:20 AM
So what do idiot rappers have to do some elderly nutcase radio hosts spouting racial comments on the air?

Hey... does anyone remember the big controversy when some public official used the word "niggardly" in a sentence (the word means "miserly")?

WTF!

BTW... Name one continent where slavery is flourishing!

Answer: Africa! How about that? I wonder, will Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson be going to the Dark Continent (oops, is that a racist remark?) to demand reparations from blacks?

Dilloduck
04-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Hey... does anyone remember the big controversy when some public official used the word "niggardly" in a sentence (the word means "miserly")?

WTF!

Answer: Africa! How about that? I wonder, will Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson be going to the Dark Continent (oops, is that a racist remark?) to demand reparations from blacks?

Have a Happy Nappy Hair Day !!!!
http://nappyhairaffair.com/

But Hair Days are our hallmark. These simple gatherings where sisters and brothers symbolically celebrate their culture by nurturing their natural hair have had powerful and healing effects.
One of our most devoted members is Alpha Thomas who is a breast cancer survivor. Her story of losing her locks while undergoing chemotherapy but not losing her spirit has been an inspiration for other women in our group. Alpha's locks have grown back with a vengeance, and I count on her as my unofficial counselor for other women who have come to me with similar challenges. We welcome you to become a part of our nappy nation where we are very much into celebrating who we really are.

Nappily,
Mosetta

and you can get his book too if you like ! http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Be-Nappy-Jump-Sun/dp/0786804270

04-14-2007, 07:09 PM

Perhaps you can educate us about what was racial about that statement. It's clear how its mean, sexist, and stupid, but the racial aspect is still a mystery to most thinking people.

Mr. P
04-14-2007, 07:18 PM

WTF!

I remember that Karl.

Kathianne
04-14-2007, 07:27 PM
I remember that Karl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_about_the_word_niggardly#David_Howar d_incident

David Howard incident

On January 15, 1999, David Howard, a white aide to Anthony A. Williams, the black mayor of Washington, D.C., United States, used the word in reference to a budget. This apparently upset one of his black colleagues (identified by Howard as Marshall Brown), who incorrectly interpreted it as a racial slur and lodged a complaint. As a result, on January 25 Howard tendered his resignation, and Williams accepted it.[1]

However, after pressure from the gay community (of which Howard was a member) and black leaders, an internal review into the matter was brought about, and the mayor offered Howard the chance to return to his position as Office of the Public Advocate on February 4. Howard refused but accepted another position with the mayor instead, insisting that he did not feel victimized by the incident. On the contrary, Howard felt that he had learned from the situation. "I used to think it would be great if we could all be colorblind. That's naive, especially for a white person, because a white person can't afford to be colorblind. They don't have to think about race every day. An African American does."[1]

It has been speculated that this incident inspired Philip Roth's novel The Human Stain. [2]

[edit] Public response

The Howard incident led to a national debate in the U.S., in the context of racial sensitivity and political correctness, on whether use of the word niggardly should be avoided because of its potential association with the extremely pejorative racial slur nigger, despite the entirely separate and unrelated etymologies of the two words.

The national debate was made up almost entirely of commentators defending use of the word. As James Poniewozik wrote in Salon, the controversy was "an issue that opinion-makers right, left and center could universally agree on." He wrote that "the defenders of the dictionary" were "legion, and still queued up six abreast."[3]

Julian Bond, then chairman of the NAACP, deplored the offense that had been taken at Howard's use of the word. "You hate to think you have to censor your language to meet other people’s lack of understanding", he said. "David Howard should not have quit. Mayor Williams should bring him back — and order dictionaries issued to all staff who need them."[4]

Bond also said, "Seems to me the mayor has been niggardly in his judgment on the issue. [...] We have a hair-trigger sensibility, and I think that is particularly true of racial minorities."[5]

[edit] University of Wisconsin incident

Shortly after the Washington incident, another controversy erupted over the use of the word at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. At a February meeting of the Faculty Senate, Amelia Rideau, a junior English major and vice chairwoman of the Black Student Union, told the group how a professor teaching Chaucer had used the word niggardly. Rideau later said she was unaware of the related Washington, D.C., controversy which came to light just the week before. She said the professor continued to use the word even after she told him that she was offended. "I was in tears, shaking," she told the faculty. "It's not up to the rest of the class to decide whether my feelings are valid."[6]

Rideau's plea struck an unintended chord, helping to destroy the school's speech code. "Many 'abolitionists', as they now were called, believe that Rideau's speech, widely reported, was the turning point", according to an article in Reason magazine, which also cited a February 2, 1999 editorial in the Wisconsin State Journal, which said: "Thank you, Amelia Rideau, for clarifying precisely why the UW-Madison does not need an academic speech code. [...] Speech codes have a chilling effect on academic freedom and they reinforce defensiveness among students who ought to be more open to learning."[6]

[edit] Wilmington, North Carolina incident

In late January or early February 2002, a white fourth-grade teacher in Wilmington, North Carolina was formally reprimanded for teaching the word[7] and told to attend sensitivity training.[8]

The teacher, Stephanie Bell, said she used "niggardly" "during a discussion about literary characters. But parent Akwana Walker, who is black, protested the use of the word, saying it offended her because it sounds similar to a racial slur", the Wilmington Star-News reported.[8]

Bell's union, the North Carolina Association of Educators, told her not to speak about the situation, so her son, Tar Bell, spoke to the newspaper. Tar Bell said his mother received a letter from the school principal stating that the teacher used poor judgment and instructing her to send an apology to the parents of her students, which was done. In the principal's letter, she also criticized the teacher for lacking sensitivity.[8]

The daughter of the complaining parent was moved to another classroom. Norm Shearin, the deputy superintendent of schools for the district, said the teacher made a bad decision by teaching the word because it was inappropriate for that grade level.[8]

Bell defended the appropriateness of her teaching the word. "If these children read it," she said, "they are going to need to know what they are reading. ... What word do we take out next?"[7]

[edit] Other complaints

[edit] Economist magazine, 1995

In 1995, years before the incidents in Washington, Wilmington and Madison, The Economist magazine used the word "niggardly" in an article about the impact of computers and productivity: "During the 1980s, when service industries consumed about 85% of the $1 trillion invested in I.T. in the United States, productivity growth averaged a niggardly 0.8% a year." The magazine later pointed out with amusement that it received a letter from a reader in Boston who thought the word "niggardly" inappropriate. Another letter writer, this one from New York City, had objected to the magazine's use of "spicing" in an article about second-generation Hispanics ("spicing their language with a little Spanish is the easiest way of being cool"). The word "spicing" was hyphenated at the end of a line, perhaps adding to the confusion. "Why do we get such letters only from America?" the British magazine commented.[9]

[edit] Dallas Morning News

At some point before the Washington, D.C., incident (of early 1999), The Dallas Morning News had banned the use of the word after its use in a restaurant review had raised complaints.[10]

[edit] An old complaint

An article in McClure's magazine in March 1924 prints this exchange (although it may have been from a short story, making it a fictional complaint and a (humorous?) observation by the author of the potential for confusion):[11]

"'A niggardly and disgusting habit,' I commented. ... 'Just lay off that "nigger" stuff after this,' warned Pete."

[edit] Publicity and new racially tinged use of the word

The public controversies caused some commentators to speculate that "niggardly" would be used more often, both in its correct sense and as fodder for childish humor, as a racist code word or both.

"The word's new lease of life is probably among manufacturers and retailers of sophomoric humor", wrote John Derbyshire, a conservative commentator, in 2002. "I bet that even as I write, some adolescent boys, in the stairwell of some high school somewhere in America, are accusing each other of being niggardly, and sniggering at their own outrageous wit. I bet ... Wait a minute. "Sniggering"? Oh, my God...."[9]

Derbyshire wrote that although he loved to use words that are sometimes considered obscure, he wouldn't use the word in mixed company, especially among less-educated African Americans, out of politeness and not wanting to make someone feel uncomfortable, regardless of any non-racial meanings he would intend.[9]

Shortly after the Washington, D.C., incident, James Poniewozik wrote in his column at Slate online magazine that some were already using "niggardly" in a way that made their motives ambiguous. He quoted a posting at a reader forum at the New York Times Web site: "[W]hat were the motivations of 'chill10d', posting in the Times forum at 6:05 a.m. Saturday, who just happened to use 'niggardly' — linguistically correctly — in connection with the two African-American principals in the Clinton investigation? You tell me:[3]

B. Curry [sic] got a pc pass because her testimony like that of all Clintonistas was niggardly with the truth. It is predictable that V. Jordan will have his opportunity to be equally niggardly in this regard. Witnesses? A woman (child), a negro, and a jew — very pc indeed!

"You can't say chill10d -- white, black or Klingon for all I know -- had racist motives. And you can't exactly not say it", Poniewozik wrote. "Any bets on how many newly vocab-enhanced pinheads somewhere in America asked black waitresses not to be "niggardly" with the coffee this week?"[3]

But there would be a different reaction in polite company, he wrote: "Like it or not, the word is now radioactive; having defended it, no one can now use it — especially in racially mixed company — without raising the question of motives, which, however, few will dare voice. So odds are we'll lump it in with the actual epithets and, in our grand tradition of racial denial, clam up about it. In theory, you, I and the columnist next door will defend to the death our right to say "niggardly." But in practice, will we use it? Or will the caution linger in the back of our minds — you do the rhyme, you do the time??"[3]

[edit]

Sitarro
04-14-2007, 08:27 PM
I bet Sharpton really hates that nappy hair comment since his hair is a lot like Buckwheats but slicked back.:laugh2:

Dilloduck
04-14-2007, 08:31 PM
I bet Sharpton really hates that nappy hair comment since his hair is a lot like Buckwheats but slicked back.:laugh2:

Ain't it the truth---damn greaser !!! :laugh2:

Sitarro
04-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Ain't it the truth---damn greaser !!! :laugh2:

Hey Dillo, How's that global warming workin for ya?:laugh2: :laugh2:

KarlMarx
04-14-2007, 08:38 PM
I wonder if Santa Claus will be next? You know that "Ho Ho Ho" gig is bound to offend some of the black persuassion.

Perhaps he should change it to "Hey Honky M*********er" to avoid controversy.

Sitarro
04-14-2007, 08:42 PM
I wonder if Santa Claus will be next? You know that "Ho Ho Ho" gig is bound to offend some of the black persuassion.

Perhaps he should change it to "Hey Honky M*********er" to avoid controversy.

Or Ha Ha Ha :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

KarlMarx
04-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Or Ha Ha Ha :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
or Fee Fi Fo Fum
or Eenie Meenie Mienie Mo
or Hocus Pocus

KarlMarx
04-14-2007, 09:03 PM
And what about the fate of this favorite lunchtime snack?

http://blogging.la/archives/images/2006/08/box_hohos.jpg

I guess we'll just have to call them "Himies" instead. Perhaps Jesse Jackson will understand!