PDA

View Full Version : Issues at school already and it's the begining of the year.

Trinity
09-10-2009, 06:33 AM
My oldest son hands me a disciplinary form last night and says here mom you have to sign this. It was an after school detention form. I read it and asked him what it was for. He told me that his social studies teacher had given him in school restriction (ISR)for missing work. And he had forgotten about it so he didn't go.

I asked him what missing work? He said all the work that I had to make up from being off school due to surgery. It took him about two weeks to get caught back up with doing his daily work, and current homework.

Now normally I would have scolded him and signed off on it. However since it was directly related to something he really had no control over (surgery) I read over very carefully. This is what was written on the form.

Explanation of issue: #1, #10, #12 Refused to follow the simple instructions of his teacher.

Other disciplinary notes: Sign and return or detention will be 2 hours.

I asked my son what is #1, #10, #12 he says it's from the student handbook.

So I pull out his student hand book and this is what is listed for these numbers.

1. Disruption of school - A student shall not by his/her actions dress or appearance disrupt the normal operation of the school. The student shall not engage in any act that may be harmful to the health, welfare and safety of him/her and others.

10.Insubordination - No student shall refuse to comply with a reasonable request or follow directions of teachers, student teachers, teacher aides, principal, assistant principal, or other authorized personal during any period of time when student is properly under the authority of school personal.

12. Disrespect - No student shall insult or in any manner abuse verbally, physically, or in writing any member of school staff or student body.

Now looking at the descriptions of the items listed the only one that looks to me that would apply here would be 10.

So due to the lack of information (oh and by the way if I would have put in notes like that at my job I would have been written up for it.) I refused to sign the detention slip and added my own notes to it. Which are listed below.

1. Not enough information for me to sign off on this.

2.It appears you are threatening my child with an additional hour of detention if he does not have me sign this and return to you. I refuse to sign off on this without further information. You can contact me at the cell phone number listed below.

I initialed what I wrote, however I did not sign the form. And I made a copy of the form before giving it to my son to take back to school. I expect I will be getting a phone call from the school today.