PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Olympics?

Kathianne
04-14-2007, 04:12 PM
They got the nod:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=ap-usoc-2016&prov=ap&type=lgns

Chicago picked by USOC to bid for 2016 Olympics<
April 14, 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Chicago beat Los Angeles on Saturday in a U.S. Olympic Committee vote to pick a candidate for the 2016 Summer Games.

Chicago, which has never held an Olympics, now will try to persuade the International Olympic Committee that it deserves to be the host, joining a group of bidders expected to include Madrid, Prague, Rome, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo.

"It was a very tough decision," USOC chairman Peter Ueberroth said before opening a sealed envelope and revealing the winning city. "If I had all the power -- and sometimes people accuse me of that -- I would take the map and merge the two cities, because I'll tell you what: If you could take the mayors of these two communities and have them run our country, we would all be better off."

The IOC will award the 2016 Games in October 2009.

"It's just beginning," said Patrick Ryan, Chicago's bid committee chairman. "It's a long road."

The USOC had said beforehand it would not release Saturday's vote count.

By choosing Chicago instead of Los Angeles, the 11-member USOC board of directors went with a city that does not have major venues already in place. Los Angeles held the Summer Games in 1984 -- when the Olympics were run by Ueberroth -- and in 1932.

Chicago, meanwhile, offered a bid that hinges on building new facilities, mostly situated around the downtown lakefront and nearby parks. The centerpiece would be an 80,000-seat, $366 million temporary Olympic stadium that would be built in historic Washington Park. Chicago's plans also call for a $1.1 billion lakefront village that would be built near the convention center just south of downtown.

"This is a wonderful and very important thing for our city," Ryan said.

The lack of ready-to-go venues apparently did not dissuade the USOC during its board meeting at a hotel Saturday, despite what happened the last time the IOC was looking for a Summer Games site.

New York City appeared to be a front-runner for the 2012 Olympics until financing for a new stadium in Manhattan fell apart just weeks before the final vote. New York wound

manu1959
04-14-2007, 04:16 PM
just saw that while watching pitt and ottaw...cool for you

Kathianne
04-14-2007, 04:21 PM
just saw that while watching pitt and ottaw...cool for you

I hope so. The Chicago World Exposition did a lot to make it a world class city. We can hope that is earned, this would add to that.

Yurt
04-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Have always wanted to visit chicago, that would be the perfect excuse. Not to mention I am eating my own chicago hot dog right now...

Kathianne
04-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Have always wanted to visit chicago, that would be the perfect excuse. Not to mention I am eating my own chicago hot dog right now...

It really is a great city. I'd move there in a Chicago minute, if I could afford a safe neighborhood. The taxes are crushing, for both individuals and corporations. But it is lovely.

Yurt
04-14-2007, 06:03 PM
It really is a great city. I'd move there in a Chicago minute, if I could afford a safe neighborhood. The taxes are crushing, for both individuals and corporations. But it is lovely.

I like all the diversity, especially the food. I also like the seasons. I live in San Luis Obispo right now, but my wife and I want to move back to the NW, probably seattle because of its proximity to Canada (canadian that she is eh).

What is a chicago minute though? Heard of a NY minute, so is a chicago minute fastor or slower than a NY minute :coffee:

Kathianne
04-14-2007, 06:24 PM
I like all the diversity, especially the food. I also like the seasons. I live in San Luis Obispo right now, but my wife and I want to move back to the NW, probably seattle because of its proximity to Canada (canadian that she is eh).

What is a chicago minute though? Heard of a NY minute, so is a chicago minute fastor or slower than a NY minute :coffee:

A Chicago minute is a second or two slower, but much nicer. ;)

Yurt
04-14-2007, 06:24 PM
A Chicago minute is a second or two slower, but much nicer. ;)

:lmao:

LiberalNation
04-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Hope they get it. Chicago isn't too far from here.

Kathianne
04-14-2007, 06:30 PM
:lmao:

I found something I read the other day, which illustrates my point:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0704110655apr12,1,5722277.story

Thank you, Chicago, for making our spring break vacation such a pleasant and memorable one. We don't remember ever feeling so much kindness in a city in our entire lives. The CTA employees were outstanding and helped us "poor," lost, small-town Ohioans navigate around the city. Thank you to the young man who gave me a seat on the crowded Purple Line, and to all those who offered advice for traveling the line.

We cannot thank the city enough for the kindness extended to us during our recent stay. And to all those who offered "sympathy" over Ohio State's recent loss in basketball, we jokingly say we know you Chicagoans understand how it feels to lose the big one!

We will definitely be returning to visit again in the future.

Glenn, Chris and Scott Turner

Van Wert, Ohio

Kathianne
04-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Hope they get it. Chicago isn't too far from here.

Where is 'here'?