PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal............

-Cp
09-14-2009, 03:56 PM
To take a squirt-gun and shoot a mormon or JW in the face when they come knocking on your door?

Are they withing their legal right to come to MY property and petition me?

emmett
09-14-2009, 04:04 PM
To take a squirt-gun and shoot a mormon or JW in the face when they come knocking on your door?

isn't it great how they show up unannounced and uninvited, then act as if you hate god if you do not immediately invite them in to disrupt your daily schedule?

Mr. P
09-14-2009, 04:51 PM

I think it is a trespass but a cool lil sign would help yer case.

On the other hand it could be an assault on them too..

09-14-2009, 05:16 PM
going to have to say its depends on the state... that way i get out of any firm commitment either way.

Little-Acorn
09-14-2009, 05:37 PM
The Mormons have always been very polite to me. I tell them, "No thanks, we're not interested", and they say, "Okay, well, have a nice day", and they leave. Not the slightest problem. And they only knock every six months or so, though I see them around the area as often as once a month (who else walks around in pairs, wearing white shirt and long tie, carrying books?)

-Cp
09-14-2009, 05:40 PM
So I guess the larger question is - does anyone have the legal right just to come onto your property up to your door - uninvited?

hjmick
09-14-2009, 06:17 PM

It's probably more legal than opening up on them with a 12 gauge...

Mr. P
09-14-2009, 07:11 PM
So I guess the larger question is - does anyone have the legal right just to come onto your property up to your door - uninvited?

Yes, NO, Maybe

Trespassing Basics

Trespassing is a legal term that can refer to a wide variety of offenses against a person or against property. Trespassing as it relates to real estate law means entering onto land without consent of the landowner. There are both criminal and civil trespass laws. Criminal trespass law is enforced by police, sheriffs, or park rangers. Civil trespass requires that the landowner initiate a private enforcement action in court to collect any damages for which the trespasser may be responsible (regardless of whether a crime has been committed).

Intent and Knowledge Requirements
Traditionally, for either type of trespass -- criminal or civil -- some level of intent is required. Thus, the trespasser must not simply unwittingly traverse another's land but must knowingly go onto the property without permission. Knowledge may be inferred when the owner tells the trespasser not to go on the land, when the land is fenced, or when a "no trespassing" sign is posted. A trespasser would probably not be prosecuted if the land was open, the trespasser's conduct did not substantially interfere with the owner's use of the property, and the trespasser left immediately on request.

Express Consent

The landowner may indicate -- verbally or in writing -- permission to enter onto the land.

Implied Consent

The existence of consent may be implied from the landowner's conduct, from custom, or from the circumstances. Consent may be implied if the landowner was unavailable to give consent, and immediate action is necessary to save a life or prevent a serious injury.

http://realestate.findlaw.com/trespassing/trespassing-basics.html
Why do you ask?

Noir
09-14-2009, 07:38 PM
I always miss the Mormons at my house though there are a fair few dandering about the streets that I see.

I don't know how you would argue it's tresspassing, unless you're saying everyone who ever comes down your drive without prior consent is a tresspassor. Which is just daft.

Mr. P
09-14-2009, 07:48 PM
I always miss the Mormons at my house though there are a fair few dandering about the streets that I see.

I don't know how you would argue it's tresspassing, unless you're saying everyone who ever comes down your drive without prior consent is a tresspassor. Which is just daft.

Daft? No, the legal "boundary" is the property line and not everyone that crosses it is trespassing in the legal sense. Where would you like to move that boundary line to, yer living room?

Noir
09-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Daft? No, the legal "boundary" is the property line and not everyone that crosses it is trespassing in the legal sense. Where would you like to move that boundary line to, yer living room?

I don't suggest moving any boundries anywhere, I just suggest a measure of common sense, and some mormons knocking on your door every few months is not tresspassig.

DragonStryk72
09-14-2009, 11:48 PM

Strictly speaking, it is not illegal, as it is not really an assault, unless you fill it with something other than water, then there could be legal issues.

crin63
09-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Unless your property is fenced and the gate locked with no trespassing signs posted, I think you would have a hard time proving trespassing when someone just comes to your door. If you post signs that say no soliciting you might have recourse in calling the police. Some cities require permits to go door to door which is another avenue you may check on. They may also have a do not disturb registry for door to door folks.

I would suggest that you not do anything that touches them in anyway unless they were to try and force themselves into your house. There are to many scenarios for that to go bad for you if you did squirt them.

No1tovote4
09-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Why would you do that? All you have to do is say, "no, thanks" and they go away. We don't even take the tracts because we don't want to waste their money.

All they are trying to do is save your soul.

Nukeman
09-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Why would you do that? All you have to do is say, "no, thanks" and they go away. We don't even take the tracts because we don't want to waste their money.

:clap::clap::clap: yep some people take things TOO far!!!! :clap::clap:

-Cp
09-15-2009, 01:10 PM

Uhh..... Why do folks use spam-filters for their email-box? To remove unwanted spam- that's what JW's and Mormon at my door are.... they are unwanted spam...

Nukeman
09-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Uhh..... Why do folks use spam-filters for their email-box? To remove unwanted spam- that's what JW's and Mormon at my door are.... they are unwanted spam...

If they are coming by the hundreds and thousands every month or year you have a legitimate gripe however if your talking a couple of times a year get a thicker skin..... If I only received spam email twice a year I wouldn't need a filter now would I??? Bad analogy

09-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Strictly speaking, it is not illegal, as it is not really an assault, unless you fill it with something other than water, then there could be legal issues.

Criminally, you are correct. As a tort, however, it would qualify as an intentional tort. Though I cant imagine any damages being awarded for shooting a water gun.

09-15-2009, 03:38 PM
If they are coming by the hundreds and thousands every month or year you have a legitimate gripe however if your talking a couple of times a year get a thicker skin..... If I only received spam email twice a year I wouldn't need a filter now would I??? Bad analogy

its more fun talking with different people anyway.

-Cp
09-15-2009, 03:50 PM
its more fun talking with different people anyway.

I disagree, I think it'd be more fun to see the looks on their faces after getting douched w/ a squirt-gun! :P

-Cp
09-15-2009, 03:51 PM

Not a bad analogy at all, people use spam filters to block unwanted emails from folks they DON'T KNOW - in the same way, I'll use a squirt-gun on Mormons and JW's whom I DON't KNOW...

Nukeman
09-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Not a bad analogy at all, people use spam filters to block unwanted emails from folks they DON'T KNOW - in the same way, I'll use a squirt-gun on Mormons and JW's whom I DON't KNOW...

Actually a better analogy would be to have a guard dog to scare off any unwanted visitors or to post signage that States "NO SOLICITING" "NO TRESPASSING". A more proper analogy to your squirting them in the face would be for you to find where the spammers live and disrupt their computers.... Just enough to irritate them....

bullypulpit
09-16-2009, 04:42 AM
SO when they tell me they "...Want to bring Jesus into my life.." I tell them, "Fine, Jesus can come in, but y'all have to stay outside.", then close the door in their faces. They haven't been back since. Of course, I was nekkid at the time too.