PDA

View Full Version : Clunker Math

red states rule
09-17-2009, 06:17 AM
I just got this email and wanted to share it

A vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons a year of gasoline. A vehicle at 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480 gallons a year.

So, the average clunker transaction will reduce gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

They claim 700,000 vehicles - so that's 224 million gallons a year. That equates to about 5.26 million barrels of oil. 5.26 million barrels of oil is about 1/4 of one day's US consumption. And 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at $75/bbl.

So, we all contributed to spending $3 billion to save $350 million.

They'll probably do a better job with health care though.

Jeff
09-17-2009, 06:47 AM
I just got this email and wanted to share it

A vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons a year of gasoline. A vehicle at 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480 gallons a year.

So, the average clunker transaction will reduce gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

They claim 700,000 vehicles - so that's 224 million gallons a year. That equates to about 5.26 million barrels of oil. 5.26 million barrels of oil is about 1/4 of one day's US consumption. And 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at $75/bbl.

So, we all contributed to spending $3 billion to save $350 million.

They'll probably do a better job with health care though.

Ya reckon if ya forward this to the messiah he might figure it out ?

red states rule
09-17-2009, 06:49 AM

I doubt it

I would like to know much energy was consumed to produce the 700000 functional clunkers that they destroyed?

Not to mention a paid for vehicle. Now we have a bunch of people in debt when they had running paid for vehicles. I can see a ton of repos on the horizon.

Emmett should be doing better soon as the repo orders come in

Jeff
09-17-2009, 06:51 AM
I doubt it

I would like to know much energy was consumed to produce the 700000 functional clunkers that they destroyed?

Not to mention a paid for vehicle. Now we have a bunch of people in debt when they had running paid for vehicles. I can see a ton of repos on the horizon.

LOL I bet Emmett was standing on the street corner telling all what a great deal this was, with in a year ol Emmett will be a millionaire, lol

red states rule
09-17-2009, 06:55 AM
LOL I bet Emmett was standing on the street corner telling all what a great deal this was, with in a year ol Emmett will be a millionaire, lol

Repos, defaults, unemployment, and foreclosures and being highly stimulated by Obama's economic policies

How is that hope and change going for you?

Jeff
09-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Honestly this bastard has made it where I know run 7 days a week and am only averaging 3500 miles a week, I use to run 5 and a 1/2 days a week and get anywhere between 3500 and 5000 miles a week, seems the freight is now so cheap that we sit after every drop waiting for the broker's to come up on the price and then run all night to make the deliver on time,

The best part is there are those on here that will say hell he is only a lonely trucker, LOL, but guess where the money difference is going to be passed onto, you got it the consumer, LOL, so Ya'll can thank Obama

red states rule
09-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Honestly this bastard has made it where I know run 7 days a week and am only averaging 3500 miles a week, I use to run 5 and a 1/2 days a week and get anywhere between 3500 and 5000 miles a week, seems the freight is now so cheap that we sit after every drop waiting for the broker's to come up on the price and then run all night to make the deliver on time,

The best part is there are those on here that will say hell he is only a lonely trucker, LOL, but guess where the money difference is going to be passed onto, you got it the consumer, LOL, so Ya'll can thank Obama

Ig you are lkucky, the local government can use stimulus money to put big screen TV's in the unemployment office, so you can watch Obama in style as you file for benefits

Jeff
09-17-2009, 07:09 AM
You know I sat here for a second and thought ( damn I do that once in a while) but with the economy the way it is, in the first quarter there were like 200 trucking companies went under, the rising price of fuel the lowering price of freight is going to run many more out of business, it is so bad now anyone can buy a truck, hell they know a owner op has to be awful lucky to make it , so they are giving anyone a truck and reposing it 6 months later, when the trucking companies suffer like this it will surely be passed on to the consumer, I spoke to a driver in NC last week he works for a company that owns 3 companies, Gainey , super service, and another I can't remember , the first 2 are pretty good size companies and they are on the board to highest bidder
When the trucking industry suffers ( lets face they move America) that tells ya the state of the country

red states rule
09-17-2009, 07:13 AM
You know I sat here for a second and thought ( damn I do that once in a while) but with the economy the way it is, in the first quarter there were like 200 trucking companies went under, the rising price of fuel the lowering price of freight is going to run many more out of business, it is so bad now anyone can buy a truck, hell they know a owner op has to be awful lucky to make it , so they are giving anyone a truck and reposing it 6 months later, when the trucking companies suffer like this it will surely be passed on to the consumer, I spoke to a driver in NC last week he works for a company that owns 3 companies, Gainey , super service, and another I can't remember , the first 2 are pretty good size companies and they are on the board to highest bidder
When the trucking industry suffers ( lets face they move America) that tells ya the state of the country

You are so right. I remember the post where Virgil insulted truck drivers by demeaning their job and insulting you

Trucks keep America moving - yet his arrogrance prevents him from seeing that fact

Without trucks he would not be able to buy his lattes and tofu

Jeff
09-17-2009, 07:16 AM
You are so right. I remember the post where Virgil insulted truck drivers by demeaning their job and insulting you

Trucks keep America moving - yet his arrogrance prevents him from seeing that fact

Without trucks he would not be able to buy his lattes and tofu

Thats exactly right, even if something is flown into the country a truck moves it from the airport to where ever it is going

As for MM, he wouldn't last 2 days in my world, LOL, they would find him belly up in a ditch somewhere, LOL

red states rule
09-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Thats exactly right, even if something is flown into the country a truck moves it from the airport to where ever it is going

As for MM, he wouldn't last 2 days in my world, LOL, they would find him belly up in a ditch somewhere, LOL

If that would happen they would try to roll him back into the water :laugh2:

Virgil thinks manual labor is a mexican obstritian

Trinity
09-17-2009, 06:11 PM

My stepfather is a truck driver and has been for as long as I have known him which is about 28 years now. He was an owner operator and it got so bad he sold his truck, semi-retired, and is barely getting loads now working for some company. Of course he really just needs to retire fully, he is getting up in age. His problem is that's all he knows and he has no real hobbies, so if he's not working, he's going stir crazy.

Joyful HoneyBee
09-17-2009, 07:51 PM
I doubt it

It is just a matter of time before the whole vicious cycle re-runs itself. They're getting people into new car payment, new house payments, soon they'll inflate property values again and sell houses for more than they are actually worth (again). Wall Street will start swapping CDO's again and it will collapse all over again. This garbage is bound to be recycled unless someone with common sense steps in and stops it all.

I give it about three or four months before people start defaulting on their new auto loans, right about the time for Christmas shopping when people will overuse their credit cards and get in over their heads. If folks couldn't resist the urge to jump in with both feet, they'll be in hot water over their heads.

But, hey...good for Emmett. He may be able to enjoy the fruits of Obamanomics soon. :laugh2:

emmett
09-17-2009, 07:53 PM

Remember, Emmett owned a trucking company when he became a member of DP......guess what, the truck I have left is sitting in front of the office collecting rust. I hauled cars! That's irony isn;t it.

The cash for clunkers program will not necessarily make a difference to me in the repo business. We're getting clubbed big time. Our clients are filing BK's left and right so the work we are doing we are getting screwed out of . One of our biggest just broke the news yesterday.

Another factor is the clunkers are being turned in but credit is not being handed out. Sure ...people with A-1 credit, say scores over 650 or so are getting loans but not the ones who end up defaulting. Way lower odds. Now...the ratio of those in better credit tiers are indeed getting picked up at a rate higher than before but the residual is catching up.

New loans are not rerplacing them at a rate fast enough. Repo companies are dropping like flies. Now ...THAT is good! Less competition....bad part is we might be one of them before long.

Hey Jeff.....is Gainey hiring? :laugh2:

I would lease my truck on somewhere but it needs injectors, batteries and a going over. Probably 5K or so and I ain;t got it.

Kathianne
09-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Remember, Emmett owned a trucking company when he became a member of DP......guess what, the truck I have left is sitting in front of the office collecting rust. I hauled cars! That's irony isn;t it.

The cash for clunkers program will not necessarily make a difference to me in the repo business. We're getting clubbed big time. Our clients are filing BK's left and right so the work we are doing we are getting screwed out of . One of our biggest just broke the news yesterday.

Another factor is the clunkers are being turned in but credit is not being handed out. Sure ...people with A-1 credit, say scores over 650 or so are getting loans but not the ones who end up defaulting. Way lower odds. Now...the ratio of those in better credit tiers are indeed getting picked up at a rate higher than before but the residual is catching up.

New loans are not rerplacing them at a rate fast enough. Repo companies are dropping like flies. Now ...THAT is good! Less competition....bad part is we might be one of them before long.

Hey Jeff.....is Gainey hiring? :laugh2:

I would lease my truck on somewhere but it needs injectors, batteries and a going over. Probably 5K or so and I ain;t got it.

I'd think it's a 'very good time to be the Repo man?'

red states rule
09-17-2009, 10:41 PM
It is just a matter of time before the whole vicious cycle re-runs itself. They're getting people into new car payment, new house payments, soon they'll inflate property values again and sell houses for more than they are actually worth (again). Wall Street will start swapping CDO's again and it will collapse all over again. This garbage is bound to be recycled unless someone with common sense steps in and stops it all.

I give it about three or four months before people start defaulting on their new auto loans, right about the time for Christmas shopping when people will overuse their credit cards and get in over their heads. If folks couldn't resist the urge to jump in with both feet, they'll be in hot water over their heads.

But, hey...good for Emmett. He may be able to enjoy the fruits of Obamanomics soon. :laugh2:

Gee what are some other stupid ideas the Democrat/Enviromental wackos going to come up with next?

Obamacare and Cap and Trade come to mind

Don't forget the inevitable spike in used car prices. That should help the poor and middle class

Emmett please remember MY CAR IS PAID FOR

cat slave
09-19-2009, 11:34 AM

Only if someone puts it on his telepromptor.:lol::laugh2::salute: