PDA

View Full Version : Al Sharpton Receives Threats On His Life

stephanie
04-14-2007, 10:23 PM
:poke: He's probably taking some heat from getting that poor ole liberal radio host fired, so he is now screaming..........I AM A VICTIM
National Action Network Cites Phone Calls, E-Mails

(CBS) NEW YORK WCBSTV.com learned early Saturday that the National Action Network has increased the Rev. Al Sharpton's security due to a number of death threats in the wake of the firing of radio host Don Imus by MSNBC and CBS Radio.

There will also be added security at the National Action Network's headquarters in Harlem.

“We have no way of knowing the seriousness of these threats, but they have intensified greatly in the last two days as Rev. Sharpton was figured prominently in the firing of Don Imus," Attorney Charlie King said in a statement early Saturday morning.

"Since Rev. Sharpton survived a personal assassination attempt where he was stabbed, we take any and all threats, especially at this volume, very serious. Therefore, all may be comfortable that we will not take the safety of our staff or that of our President lightly.”

Sharpton was stabbed in the chest by Michael Riccardi on Jan. 12, 1991, as the Reverend was leading a protest in the Bensonhurst section of Brooklyn. Sharpton later filed suit against the city accusing the NYPD of failing to protect him. The two sides eventually settled.

Sharpton took up the cause of the members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team after Imus referred to them as "nappy-headed hos" on his radio show last week.

Sharpton told CBS 2's Marcia Kramer on Friday that just hours after he met with CBS Chairman and CEO Les Moonves on Thursday he got a call that Imus was getting fired.

"I remember saying to Mr. Moonves, 'if you said it, you'd be fired. Does he have more rights than you?'" Sharpton said.

Part of Sharpton's power and visibility comes from his National Action Network -- with its half a million supporters across the country, and his ability to mobilize both opinions and protesters.

Despite toning down his flamboyant and combative style over the years, many still think Sharpton hasn't done enough to erase his controversial past. In the interview with CBS 2, he admitted to making mistakes in the past.

"I think sometimes (I was) being flippant, shooting from the hip, sometimes letting your vanity outrun your sanity," Sharpton said.

His most talked about misstep came two decades ago when he threw much-publicized support behind then-15-year-old Tawana Brawley. The black woman received national attention after claiming she was raped by half a dozen white men, including police officers, near Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

The alleged incident soon became a media sensation, with Sharpton pulling all the strings. However, a grand jury investigated and in October 1988 said there was a lack of evidence that she had been abducted, assaulted, raped or sodomized.

"He could be much more of a formidable force in this country, much more of a leader and respected across the board if he just said I apologize for my past. I did wrong. I'm sorry," radio host and columnist Armstrong Williams told CBS 2 on Friday.

In 1999, Sharpton came to the aid of the family of Amadou Diallo, an African immigrant who was shot to death by NYPD officers. Sharpton claimed that Diallo's death was the result of police brutality and racial profiling. Diallo's family was later awarded $3 million in a wrongful death suit filed against the city.

More recently, Sharpton took up the cause of Sean Bell, an unarmed groom, who was shot dead in a hail of 50 police bullets on Nov. 25, 2006. Sharpton has been a fixture next to Bell's friends, Trent Benefield and Joseph Guzman, who were wounded in the shooting.

While Sharpton is a hero in the black community, he said he realizes he has some work to do in the overall court of public opinion.

"I think I've grown. I think I've learned to talk to a broader audience in a way that I don't think everybody is the enemy so I'm trying to offend them," he said.
http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_104002437.html

Samantha
04-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Are you on the side of the criminals issuing the death threats?

Personally I hope the criminals are caught and face justice for threatening someones life.

Mr. P
04-14-2007, 10:41 PM

Personally I hope the criminals are caught and face justice for threatening someones life.

As far as I know a threat is NOT a criminal act unless it's against the President of the United States or terroristic threats (which have context and specific circumstances). Talk show hosts get threats all the time, it's nothing new and not news worthy.

shattered
04-14-2007, 10:46 PM
You can threaten someone until you're blue in the face.. The best you can hope for is to file a harassment complaint, which does nothing, but possibly resulting in a restraining order, until something is *actually* done to you.

stephanie
04-14-2007, 10:46 PM
As far as I know a threat is NOT a criminal act unless it's against the President of the United States or terroristic threats (which have context and specific circumstances). Talk show hosts get threats all the time, it's nothing new and not news worthy.

That's why I said he must be getting some flak over the Imas debacle..
Why else would they print a story about him receiving death threats..
I'm sure it's not the first time..:poke:

loosecannon
04-14-2007, 11:27 PM

yeah death threats are definitely criminal acts, esp when they happen over the phone, across state lines or via the internet.

04-15-2007, 04:59 AM

The only criminal I can for sure prove exists is Al Sharpton. The man is an extortionist. Wouldnt surprise me if he made up the entire thing.

Oh, and i hope that all you liberals who threaten the President daily are brought to justice too.

Nuc
04-15-2007, 05:50 AM
What is the National Auction Network? Is that some kind of eBay television show?

Mr. P
04-15-2007, 07:53 AM
yeah death threats are definitely criminal acts, esp when they happen over the phone, across state lines or via the internet.

Depends. Here's Ca criteria.
http://www.criminalattorney.com/pages/firm_articles_terrorist_threats.htm

Birdzeye
04-15-2007, 12:34 PM
He's probably taking some heat from getting that poor ole liberal radio host fired, so he is now screaming..........I AM A VICTIM

Sharpton's a first class buffoon, but I'm really astonished at the casual attitude by some here over the fact that he's received death threats.

I'm sure the attitude would be quite different if it were Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh getting death threats (and I'm sure they have).

stephanie
04-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Sharpton's a first class buffoon, but I'm really astonished at the casual attitude by some here over the fact that he's received death threats.

I'm sure the attitude would be quite different if it were Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh getting death threats (and I'm sure they have).

Are you SURE???
I'm SURE they all get death threats, liberal and conservative..
It just seems the conservative one's don't make the front page headlines...:poke:

Gunny
04-15-2007, 12:46 PM

Must you toss some partisan crap in with every post?

The casual attitude is pretty easy to define. Al Sharpton is a controversial person who uses the cry of "racism" as a battleaxe, and the SP PC types give in to him for fear of being called a racist.

I for one have to question the intellect of anyone who supports that agenda, or him, and I am contemptuous of ANYONE who goes scurrying the second he names a name.

Coulter and Limbaugh aren't even in his league, but I am sure just as you said, they recieve death threats too.

So how come THOSE aren't making Page One like this one?

as far as the threats themselves are concerned, there are idiots out there on the extremes of both sides. There are abortion clinic bombers who commit murder to protest murder. There are peace activists who commit violence to protest violence.

Since when did a whacko have to make sense?

Mr. P
04-15-2007, 12:49 PM

They all get death threats, Birdseye. Those you list just don't try to capitalize on it.

typomaniac
04-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Oh, and i hope that all you liberals who threaten the President daily are brought to justice too.You are a freaking hatemonger.

You should know, as has been pointed out to Birdzeye multiple times, that all types of whackos threaten the President, whoever he may be. From the right and the left. Now tone it the fuck down.

Gunny
04-15-2007, 02:55 PM
You are a freaking hatemonger.

You should know, as has been pointed out to Birdzeye multiple times, that all types of whackos threaten the President, whoever he may be. From the right and the left. Now tone it the fuck down.

Gee, I guess you missed the part where Birdzeye took the same type partisan shot that avatar did? Where's the admonishment for her?

Which, would be the whole point to avatar's post. The double-standard based on blind partisanship.

So how about YOU tone it the fuck down?

manu1959
04-15-2007, 03:07 PM

a person asks that people who threaten the life of the president of the united states be brought up on charges and you call him a hate monger? and tell them to tone it the fuck down.

wow.

typomaniac
04-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Gee, I guess you missed the part where Birdzeye took the same type partisan shot that avatar did? Where's the admonishment for her?

Which, would be the whole point to avatar's post. The double-standard based on blind partisanship.

So how about YOU tone it the fuck down?You first. :slap:

Gunny
04-15-2007, 03:25 PM
a person asks that people who threaten the life of the president of the united states be brought up on charges and you call him a hate monger? and tell them to tone it the fuck down.

wow.

I have always been under the impression that communicating a threat to do physical harm to another was a crime.

If communicating a threat is a crime, and they catch the individual(s), they should be prsecuted according to that law.

It has been my observation that most people who communicate threats do not follow through with them. They're just extremist whacko's wallowing in their own impotence.

People who are actually going to do it, just do it.

manu1959
04-15-2007, 03:35 PM
I have always been under the impression that communicating a threat to do physical harm to another was a crime.

If communicating a threat is a crime, and they catch the individual(s), they should be prsecuted according to that law.

It has been my observation that most people who communicate threats do not follow through with them. They're just extremist whacko's wallowing in their own impotence.

People who are actually going to do it, just do it.

my experience is a bit different having designed battered womens centers....

threats are illegal in some states and not others......it is why women have wanted a law to put abusive husbands in jail for their threats....usually all you can get is a restraining order....then you get to arrest the dude when he kills his wife or girlfriend...

Gunny
04-15-2007, 03:42 PM
You first. :slap:

Nothing for me to tone down, junior.

Gunny
04-15-2007, 03:44 PM
my experience is a bit different having designed battered womens centers....

threats are illegal in some states and not others......it is why women have wanted a law to put abusive husbands in jail for their threats....usually all you can get is a restraining order....then you get to arrest the dude when he kills his wife or girlfriend...

I know why I think that. In the military, it is unlawful to communicate a threat.

I did not however realize it was an area the government hasn't usurped the powers of the state on ...yet.

typomaniac
04-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Nothing for me to tone down, junior.I won't bother to point out 50 or 60 threads to prove you wrong, because I know that even you don't believe your own press.

No marine is THAT stupid. :drillsarge:

04-15-2007, 04:37 PM

Im a hatemonger for wanting disgusting people who support murder of the President to be brought to justice? On what planet?

Apparently something about bringing these people to justice upsets you. You really want the President dead that much?

Gunny
04-15-2007, 04:39 PM
I won't bother to point out 50 or 60 threads to prove you wrong, because I know that even you don't believe your own press.

No marine is THAT stupid. :drillsarge:

What would YOU know about Marines? Been watching Blockbuster videos, have you?

You couldn't prove me wrong if I actually was.:laugh2:

If and when you wish to debate something intelligent, in an intelligent manner, you let me know. To date, I've seen nothing but trolling from you, and one good case of jumping to erroneous conclusions based on half-bakeds assumptions and using that to launch a personal attack in an attempt to hide the fact you were clearly above your head.

Hugh Lincoln
04-15-2007, 04:48 PM

You'll notice we don't see that reported.

Duh. I wonder why?

04-15-2007, 04:49 PM

Duh. I wonder why?

Because the media wants them dead...

Mr. P
04-15-2007, 06:24 PM

Duh. I wonder why?

Because the media wants them dead...

and it's NOT news.

Dilloduck
04-15-2007, 06:42 PM
and it's NOT news.

Exactly---our society tolerates it when some people get worse treatment than others. It doesn't even phase anyone.

Hugh Lincoln
04-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Exactly---our society tolerates it when some people get worse treatment than others. It doesn't even phase anyone.

As in, why you've hard about Don Imus nonstop, but you've never heard of this:

http://www.topix.net/forum/news/violent-crime/T82VDBHERUNI3VF99

typomaniac
04-15-2007, 07:22 PM

Duh. I wonder why?Damn that insidious left-wing conspiracy that pervades all commie US media...

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/aliens/abduct.gif

typomaniac
04-15-2007, 07:25 PM
What would YOU know about Marines? Been watching Blockbuster videos, have you?I know what honor is supposed to mean to them. And I know that you don't behave accordingly.
You couldn't prove me wrong if I actually was.:laugh2:Already have. Many times. You're still in denial.
If and when you wish to debate something intelligent, in an intelligent manner, you let me know. To date, I've seen nothing but trolling from you, and one good case of jumping to erroneous conclusions based on half-bakeds assumptions and using that to launch a personal attack in an attempt to hide the fact you were clearly above your head.Sounds like your own modus operandi, to me.

Kathianne
04-15-2007, 07:27 PM
I know what honor is supposed to mean to them. And I know that you don't behave accordingly.Already have. Many times. You're still in denial.Sounds like your own modus operandi, to me.

Could you please supply the links to your claims? Even if DP links alone? See, Gunny has cred and you don't, yet.

glockmail
04-15-2007, 08:50 PM

Hatemonger for wanting justice. Bizzaro-liberal world. :cuckoo:

REDWHITEBLUE2
04-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Who gives a shit about the 2 phony reverends? as long as the drive by media keeps their names in the news Sharpton and Jackasson are laughing all the way to the bank... wheres a good assassin when you need one!!!

typomaniac
04-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Could you please supply the links to your claims? Even if DP links alone? See, Gunny has cred and you don't, yet.You can start with "TYPO's thread on solutions to the problems in Iraq" in the War on Terror forum, if you're truly interested...