PDA

View Full Version : Are mobile phones wiping out our bees?

-Cp
04-15-2007, 01:31 AM
It seems like the plot of a particularly far-fetched horror film. But some scientists suggest that our love of the mobile phone could cause massive food shortages, as the world's harvests fail.

They are putting forward the theory that radiation given off by mobile phones and other hi-tech gadgets is a possible answer to one of the more bizarre mysteries ever to happen in the natural world - the abrupt disappearance of the bees that pollinate crops. Late last week, some bee-keepers claimed that the phenomenon - which started in the US, then spread to continental Europe - was beginning to hit Britain as well.

The theory is that radiation from mobile phones interferes with bees' navigation systems, preventing the famously homeloving species from finding their way back to their hives. Improbable as it may seem, there is now evidence to back this up.

Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) occurs when a hive's inhabitants suddenly disappear, leaving only queens, eggs and a few immature workers, like so many apian Mary Celestes. The vanished bees are never found, but thought to die singly far from home. The parasites, wildlife and other bees that normally raid the honey and pollen left behind when a colony dies, refuse to go anywhere near the abandoned hives.

The alarm was first sounded last autumn, but has now hit half of all American states. The West Coast is thought to have lost 60 per cent of its commercial bee population, with 70 per cent missing on the East Coast.

CCD has since spread to Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece. And last week John Chapple, one of London's biggest bee-keepers, announced that 23 of his 40 hives have been abruptly abandoned.

Other apiarists have recorded losses in Scotland, Wales and north-west England, but the Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs insisted: "There is absolutely no evidence of CCD in the UK."

The implications of the spread are alarming. Most of the world's crops depend on pollination by bees. Albert Einstein once said that if the bees disappeared, "man would have only four years of life left".

No one knows why it is happening. Theories involving mites, pesticides, global warming and GM crops have been proposed, but all have drawbacks.

German research has long shown that bees' behaviour changes near power lines.

Now a limited study at Landau University has found that bees refuse to return to their hives when mobile phones are placed nearby. Dr Jochen Kuhn, who carried it out, said this could provide a "hint" to a possible cause.

Dr George Carlo, who headed a massive study by the US government and mobile phone industry of hazards from mobiles in the Nineties, said: "I am convinced the possibility is real."

The case against handsets

Evidence of dangers to people from mobile phones is increasing. But proof is still lacking, largely because many of the biggest perils, such as cancer, take decades to show up.

Most research on cancer has so far proved inconclusive. But an official Finnish study found that people who used the phones for more than 10 years were 40 per cent more likely to get a brain tumour on the same side as they held the handset.

Equally alarming, blue-chip Swedish research revealed that radiation from mobile phones killed off brain cells, suggesting that today's teenagers could go senile in the prime of their lives.

Studies in India and the US have raised the possibility that men who use mobile phones heavily have reduced sperm counts. And, more prosaically, doctors have identified the condition of "text thumb", a form of RSI from constant texting.

Professor Sir William Stewart, who has headed two official inquiries, warned that children under eight should not use mobiles and made a series of safety recommendations, largely ignored by ministers.

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/wildlife/article2449968.ece

Dilloduck
04-15-2007, 06:40 AM
It seems like the plot of a particularly far-fetched horror film. But some scientists suggest that our love of the mobile phone could cause massive food shortages, as the world's harvests fail.

They are putting forward the theory that radiation given off by mobile phones and other hi-tech gadgets is a possible answer to one of the more bizarre mysteries ever to happen in the natural world - the abrupt disappearance of the bees that pollinate crops. Late last week, some bee-keepers claimed that the phenomenon - which started in the US, then spread to continental Europe - was beginning to hit Britain as well.

The theory is that radiation from mobile phones interferes with bees' navigation systems, preventing the famously homeloving species from finding their way back to their hives. Improbable as it may seem, there is now evidence to back this up.

Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) occurs when a hive's inhabitants suddenly disappear, leaving only queens, eggs and a few immature workers, like so many apian Mary Celestes. The vanished bees are never found, but thought to die singly far from home. The parasites, wildlife and other bees that normally raid the honey and pollen left behind when a colony dies, refuse to go anywhere near the abandoned hives.

The alarm was first sounded last autumn, but has now hit half of all American states. The West Coast is thought to have lost 60 per cent of its commercial bee population, with 70 per cent missing on the East Coast.

CCD has since spread to Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece. And last week John Chapple, one of London's biggest bee-keepers, announced that 23 of his 40 hives have been abruptly abandoned.

Other apiarists have recorded losses in Scotland, Wales and north-west England, but the Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs insisted: "There is absolutely no evidence of CCD in the UK."

The implications of the spread are alarming. Most of the world's crops depend on pollination by bees. Albert Einstein once said that if the bees disappeared, "man would have only four years of life left".

No one knows why it is happening. Theories involving mites, pesticides, global warming and GM crops have been proposed, but all have drawbacks.

German research has long shown that bees' behaviour changes near power lines.

Now a limited study at Landau University has found that bees refuse to return to their hives when mobile phones are placed nearby. Dr Jochen Kuhn, who carried it out, said this could provide a "hint" to a possible cause.

Dr George Carlo, who headed a massive study by the US government and mobile phone industry of hazards from mobiles in the Nineties, said: "I am convinced the possibility is real."

The case against handsets

Evidence of dangers to people from mobile phones is increasing. But proof is still lacking, largely because many of the biggest perils, such as cancer, take decades to show up.

Most research on cancer has so far proved inconclusive. But an official Finnish study found that people who used the phones for more than 10 years were 40 per cent more likely to get a brain tumour on the same side as they held the handset.

Equally alarming, blue-chip Swedish research revealed that radiation from mobile phones killed off brain cells, suggesting that today's teenagers could go senile in the prime of their lives.

Studies in India and the US have raised the possibility that men who use mobile phones heavily have reduced sperm counts. And, more prosaically, doctors have identified the condition of "text thumb", a form of RSI from constant texting.

Professor Sir William Stewart, who has headed two official inquiries, warned that children under eight should not use mobiles and made a series of safety recommendations, largely ignored by ministers.

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/wildlife/article2449968.ece

An issue far more threatening than "global warming". If bees are truly "disappearing" mass starvation would follow shortly with consequences that I surely don't want to be around to see. Seems like an effort that the whole world sgould an interest in and collaborate to solve.

Nuc
04-15-2007, 07:24 AM
This sounds like another false alarm and insane conspiracy by scientists. You know like other things..........

Gravity.......pollution.......global warming........E=MC2........boiling point of water is 212 degrees.........helium is lighter than oxygen..........evolution......you know all those insane things scientists come up with.

Mr. P
04-15-2007, 07:26 AM
It is a problem and there is a large group working to find the cause here in the U.S. This does dwarf any global warming. From what I've read on the site below we could be in big trouble in just a few years.

One thing their not looking into at the moment though (with good reason IMO) is cell phone effects.

What are examples of topics that the CCD working group is not currently investigating? GMO crops: Some GMO crops, specifically Bt Corn have been suggested as a potential cause of CCD. While this possibility has not been ruled out, CCD symptoms do not fit what would be expected in Bt affected organisms. For this reason GMO crops are not a “top” priority at the moment.
Radiation transmitted by cell towers: The distribution of both affected and non-affected CCD apiaries does not make this a likely cause. Also cell phone service is not available in some areas where affected commercial apiaries are located in the west. For this reason, it is currently not a top priority.
http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/ColonyCollapseDisorder.html

Dilloduck
04-15-2007, 07:27 AM
This sounds like another false alarm and insane conspiracy by scientists. You know like other things..........

Gravity.......pollution.......global warming........E=MC2........boiling point of water is 212 degrees.........helium is lighter than oxygen..........evolution......you know all those insane things scientists come up with.

I think the fact that bee colonies are collapsing is true. If so, there is a real danger. Do you know of any science that contradicts this event?

Nuc
04-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Hilarious that any kind of science gains credibility on this message board. More power to you. The people here deny and contradict science constantly.

Dilloduck
04-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Hilarious that any kind of science gains credibility on this message board. More power to you. The people here deny and contradict science constantly.

You've got good science and bad science like anything else. No one is asking you to send in $100 bucks to save the bees here.

Nuc
04-15-2007, 08:32 AM
You've got good science and bad science like anything else. No one is asking you to send in $100 bucks to save the bees here.

You misunderstand. I think something is happening to the bees. I just find it ironic that this idea has credibility on a site where most people don't think such things as evolution and global warming are facts. And believe that the world is a few thousand years old. And that two of each of many millions of species fit on a boat. And that fossils are planted by god in order to trick us into doubting him.

Very selective science. :link:

Dilloduck
04-15-2007, 09:28 AM
You misunderstand. I think something is happening to the bees. I just find it ironic that this idea has credibility on a site where most people don't think such things as evolution and global warming are facts. And believe that the world is a few thousand years old. And that two of each of many millions of species fit on a boat. And that fossils are planted by god in order to trick us into doubting him.

Very selective science. :link:

NO--YOU misunderstand
I would hope people are selective when it comes to what they believe. Spirituality doesn't automatically discount what man discovers about his environment. Science is constantly re-evaluating what it thinks it knows and often changes. This is due to healthy skepticism.

04-15-2007, 09:35 AM

I think it's healthy to question. After all isnt that what science is all about? Regardless, this issue seems alot more credible than the Global warming crap. It also seems alot more urgent in true.

Not only that, but it doesnt seem like we will have to wait 100 years to see any results of this. So while im still skeptical I say look into it more.

Mr. P
04-15-2007, 09:42 AM
I think it's healthy to question. After all isnt that what science is all about? Regardless, this issue seems alot more credible than the Global warming crap. It also seems alot more urgent in true.

Not only that, but it doesnt seem like we will have to wait 100 years to see any results of this. So while im still skeptical I say look into it more.

Skeptical of what, Av? The reported decline in bees comes from commercial and other bee keepers and other resources.

04-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Skeptical of what, Av? The reported decline in bees comes from commercial and other bee keepers and other resources.

Skeptical of the reasons.

Samantha
04-15-2007, 11:02 AM
I don't think this dwarfs global warming, which will kill the whole planet. I think it's very critical if it's true, and I do know that cell phones heat up your brain after a certain amount of time spent on the side of your head. There are lots of studies on cell phones causing brain cancer.

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20020629/fob3.asp

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/cellphones

Dilloduck
04-15-2007, 11:10 AM
I don't think this dwarfs global warming, which will kill the whole planet. I think it's very critical if it's true, and I do know that cell phones heat up your brain after a certain amount of time spent on the side of your head. There are lots of studies on cell phones causing brain cancer.

I don't think this dwarfs global warming, which will kill the whole planet.

Kill the whole planet ????---please. If people all die from starvation the world would cool off I guess ?

Mr. P
04-15-2007, 11:14 AM

100 years vs just a few before crops fail and mass starvation occurs. Do da math babe.:rolleyes:

manu1959
04-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Kill the whole planet ????---please. If people all die from starvation the world would cool off I guess ?

maybe the bees are sacrificing themselves to save the planet...

Hobbit
04-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Bring on the Wicker Man. (I can't believe I just said that)

Dilloduck
04-15-2007, 03:50 PM

You know they are petty smart-----when the hive gets too hot they get thier little wings going like crazy to cool it off-----Maybe they are all out flapping in some strategic spot on earth------we owe em on !! God Bless Bees!

Nuc
04-15-2007, 05:16 PM

Maybe god is sending the bee disaster to punish humans for being homosexual. That's how things work right?

Dilloduck
04-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Maybe god is sending the bee disaster to punish humans for being homosexual. That's how things work right?

Why do you insist on making all these ridiculous scenarios here. There are no allegations coming from any religions regarding this phenomenon. Take you strawman elsewhere.

Nuc
04-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Why do you insist on making all these ridiculous scenarios here. There are no allegations coming from any religions regarding this phenomenon. Take you strawman elsewhere.

Sorry Dillo, just having fun at the expense of the anti-science folks on this board, which seems to be almost everybody. I am aware of the problems in the apiaries and I'm glad scientists are looking into it. There is only so far we as humans can degrade this world without the repercussions wiping us out as well. I just find it hilarious in a sad way that the same people who think a god or gods created this planet are the ones who don't care whether we are destroying it. This attitude is demonstrated by the anti-science bent on this message board. :cheers2:

Mr. P
04-15-2007, 05:47 PM
This ain't good.

http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/pressReleases/CCDMap07FebRev1-.jpg

Nuc
04-15-2007, 05:51 PM
This ain't good.

http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/pressReleases/CCDMap07FebRev1-.jpg

And just because the other states do not report it doesn't mean it's not happening there as well.

Mr. P
04-15-2007, 05:52 PM
And just because the other states do not report it doesn't mean it's not happening there as well.

True.

loosecannon
04-15-2007, 08:03 PM
The BEES are a moratorium issue for the earth, or not, we will see.

But in any event what do we do about it?

Do we abolish cell phones just in case or just let them keep dying while we "get more info"?

The same basic premise applies to at least a half dozen global catastrophies looming on the horizon:

>Global warming
>overpopulation
>resource scarcity
>nuclear proliferation
>epidemics
>mad cow diseases
>bioengineering
>bioweaponry and other exotic weapons of the future

In each case we have a potentially life shattering runaway disaster in the making that we can respond to now or wait until we actually know what will happen or when if it will really evolve into full crisis.

So what do we do?

And why?

The bees are the canaries in the coal mine.

Kathianne
04-15-2007, 08:09 PM
The BEES are a moratorium issue for the earth, or not, we will see.

But in any event what do we do about it?

Do we abolish cell phones just in case or just let them keep dying while we "get more info"?

The same basic premise applies to at least a half dozen global catastrophies looming on the horizon:

>Global warming
>overpopulation
>resource scarcity
>nuclear proliferation
>epidemics
>mad cow diseases
>bioengineering
>bioweaponry and other exotic weapons of the future

In each case we have a potentially life shattering runaway disaster in the making that we can respond to now or wait until we actually know what will happen or when if it will really evolve into full crisis.

So what do we do?

And why?

The bees are the canaries in the coal mine.

On the bees, here is a post full of links, the skeptics warm my heart, especiall den Beste:

http://instapundit.com/archives2/004182.php

April 14, 2007

ARE CELLPHONES killing bees? My guess is that this will turn out to be hysteria, but stay tuned.

UPDATE: Hey, somebody should look to see if bees are doing better in the National Radio Quiet Zone.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Steven Den Beste emails:

The claims in that article about cellphones and bees sound like the global warming hysteria, up to and including the predictions of apocalypse.

For instance, there was this claim: "Most of the world's crops depend on pollination by bees."

That's wrong. Corn, wheat, rice, rye, barley, and all the other grain crops do not rely on insects for pollination, and they make up the majority of the calories consumed by the human race.

It's true that there are a very large number of crops which do rely on insects, but many of those do not rely on honey bees, or at least do not have to. In many areas, they use a different kind of bee that looks a lot like a honey bee but is much different in life cycle. These bees don't produce honey, and all the females are fertile, with each producing 5-10 grubs. They work collective laying sites with the grubs being placed in holes in wood.

In the wild they use dead trees, but the farmers that rely on them put up boards with holes drilled in them for the bees to use.

Honey bees are important, but the current problem doesn't mean the human race is going to starve to death.

I'm not sure, but I think that this may be a picture of a carpenter bee. The article also quotes Albert Einstein on honeybees -- kind of like quoting Norman Borlaug on black holes. Smart guy, but . . . .

MORE: A more skeptical take:

Many beekeepers are skeptical of the reports or at least how they're adding up. For 100 years, beekeepers have logged periodic reports of sudden and inexplicable bee die-offs.

People refer the latest die-off by its initials "CCD," but one Georgia beekeeper instead calls it the "SSDD" crisis for "Same Stuff, Different Day."

"People have lost bees from the beginning of time," Sowers said. . . .

Most empty hives have been discovered at large, commercial migrating bee farms - and that has led some beekeepers to theorize that it's the stress of being trucked cross-country that's killing the bees.

"The (bee's) instinct is to go out and collect pollen and nectar, and that's what they do. When they can't get out of the hive, it puts them under stress. They need to go to the bathroom on a regular basis, but they won't go in their hive," said Ken Ograin, an Elmira beekeeper. . . .

Finally, beehives simply die. Scattered reports of large-scale mortality date from 1915, 1960 and 1987. Scientists don't always know why.

"This may be a repeat of that situation where we simply don't figure it out," said Morris Ostrofsky, president of the Lane County Beekeepers Association.

In fact, some farmers say they are puzzled about the dire news stories appearing in local, state and national media in the past several weeks.

"It's not new this year," Williams said. "If you know what I mean."

Media hysteria? It's just possible that might be involved. (Via Slashdot, which also features other skeptical comments on this story.)
posted at 11:15 PM by

Dilloduck
04-15-2007, 08:38 PM
On the bees, here is a post full of links, the skeptics warm my heart, especiall den Beste:

http://instapundit.com/archives2/004182.php

So apparently the truth is still up for grabs---hopefully some will continue to monitor the situation and hopefully people will NOT make huge political issue out of it. Can't we just procede with caution without panicking or politicizing it. Somebody has a thoery--let's check out, not suddenly tell everyone to throw away thier cells and have an "I love Bees" concert.

Kathianne
04-15-2007, 08:43 PM
So apparently the truth is still up for grabs---hopefully some will continue to monitor the situation and hopefully people will NOT make huge political issue out of it. Can't we just procede with caution without panicking or politicizing it. Somebody has a thoery--let's check out, not suddenly tell everyone to throw away thier cells and have an "I love Bees" concert.
Well I've yet to throw out my auto, my central heating and air conditioning. So I'm with you on this.

loosecannon
04-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Well I've yet to throw out my auto, my central heating and air conditioning. So I'm with you on this.

The bees are still a canary in the coal mine even if the bees don't all die and all crops are not effected.

There are still dozens of ways in which man's population and impact on the earth could result in massive depopulations.

The norm throughout human history has been regular famines.

We have NEVER been more vulnerable to famines than we are today.

If the bee populations declined interupting even 10% of our food supply we could see a billion or more people die in one season.

The potato famine in Ireland occured while britain had plenty of food, but they didn't share. They let the Irish die. The same would happen today.

A billion starving people could end civilization as we know it if they got destructive around getting some food.

Dilloduck
04-15-2007, 10:33 PM
:cheers2:
The bees are still a canary in the coal mine even if the bees don't all die and all crops are not effected.

There are still dozens of ways in which man's population and impact on the earth could result in massive depopulations.

The norm throughout human history has been regular famines.

We have NEVER been more vulnerable to famines than we are today.

If the bee populations declined interupting even 10% of our food supply we could see a billion or more people die in one season.

The potato famine in Ireland occured while britain had plenty of food, but they didn't share. They let the Irish die. The same would happen today.

A billion starving people could end civilization as we know it if they got destructive around getting some food.

Then it would be a good idea to pay attention and learn what is happening before we take any unneccessary or counter-productive steps.

theHawk
04-16-2007, 09:27 AM
I hate cell phones anyway. I hope this leads to banning them and ripping down every cell phone tower.
Won't happen though, wireless comm is a billion dollar business. They won't give it up and too many people in this country probably think they couldn't live without their fucking cell phone.

loosecannon
04-16-2007, 12:22 PM
:cheers2:

Then it would be a good idea to pay attention and learn what is happening before we take any unneccessary or counter-productive steps.

Well at least you answered my question.

You vote to wait for more info

loosecannon
04-16-2007, 12:23 PM
I hate cell phones anyway. I hope this leads to banning them and ripping down every cell phone tower.
Won't happen though, wireless comm is a billion dollar business. They won't give it up and too many people in this country probably think they couldn't live without their fucking cell phone.

If the question was posed "give me cell phones or give me death" Americans might choose cell phones.

Gaffer
04-16-2007, 12:58 PM
More hype for the media to play on and fuel for the libs to politic with.

Nuc
04-16-2007, 04:07 PM
More hype for the media to play on and fuel for the libs to politic with.

Anything that has the faintest whiff of science around it is hype, right? :lame2:

Dilloduck
04-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Anything that has the faintest whiff of science around it is hype, right? :lame2:

Please, Nuc. Religious people aren't nearly as anti-science as you portray them to be !!

Nuc
04-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Please, Nuc. Religious people aren't nearly as anti-science as you portray them to be !!

Some are, some aren't. Plenty of non religious people are also anti-science, because science has this nasty little habit of recommending actions that are against people's short term economic goals. Loggers, fisherman, polluters, automobile workers and manufacturers. Science says, "Cut down on your catch or that species of fish will crash". Fisherman says, "But my family have been fishing cod for generations!". Politician and fishery owner says, "Well, how can we be SURE the cod population will crash, the scientists could be wrong?". Then the cod population crashes because people are ignorant. Yet the scientists get portrayed as the bad guys. This is my axe to grind because my wife is a scientist and I have seen this kind of crap happen firsthand. I'm not against religion, I'm against ignorance.

Mr. P
04-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Some are, some aren't. Plenty of non religious people are also anti-science, because science has this nasty little habit of recommending actions that are against people's short term economic goals. Loggers, fisherman, polluters, automobile workers and manufacturers. Science says, "Cut down on your catch or that species of fish will crash". Fisherman says, "But my family have been fishing cod for generations!". Politician and fishery owner says, "Well, how can we be SURE the cod population will crash, the scientists could be wrong?". Then the cod population crashes because people are ignorant. Yet the scientists get portrayed as the bad guys. This is my axe to grind because my wife is a scientist and I have seen this kind of crap happen firsthand. I'm not against religion, I'm against ignorance.

Lets focus on the science here, it's critical. IMO

Dilloduck
04-16-2007, 05:47 PM

So are you suggesting some kind of blind faith in science ? I think science has worked wonders but they have also been guilty of making deadly and costly mistakes. They don't have al lthe answers and many of thier "solutions" have been disastrous. Let science work on the bee issue but if I had a cell phone I wouldnt throw it away just yet.

Nuc
04-16-2007, 06:05 PM
So are you suggesting some kind of blind faith in science ? I think science has worked wonders but they have also been guilty of making deadly and costly mistakes. They don't have al lthe answers and many of thier "solutions" have been disastrous. Let science work on the bee issue but if I had a cell phone I wouldnt throw it away just yet.

Agreed, they should do more research. Science, unlike the Pope, can never be infallible. Of course they make mistakes. It's two steps forward, one back. But if we caved in to skepticism all the time we wouldn't even know the world isn't flat.

Dilloduck
04-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Agreed, they should do more research. Science, unlike the Pope, can never be infallible. Of course they make mistakes. It's two steps forward, one back. But if we caved in to skepticism all the time we wouldn't even know the world isn't flat.

No one is caving--no one is even talking about caving.

MtnBiker
04-16-2007, 06:13 PM
If this becomes a consensus we are screwed.

Dilloduck
04-16-2007, 06:31 PM
If this becomes a consensus we are screwed.

We certainly are-----unfathomable consequences.