PDA

View Full Version : An Interview With Fred Thompson

Kathianne
04-15-2007, 08:23 AM
I really hope he gets in the race:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/013/528aylls.asp?pg=1

From the Courthouse
to the White House
Fred Thompson auditions for the leading role.
by Stephen F. Hayes
04/23/2007, Volume 012, Issue 30

A strange thing happened a few weeks back when I went to the Café Promenade at the Mayflower Hotel for an off-the-record interview with an unpaid adviser to the non-campaign of unannounced presidential candidate Fred Thompson.

Fred Thompson showed up.

Thompson was there to have lunch with Ed Gillespie, former chairman of the Republican National Committee and a powerhouse consultant with ties to the White House. The two men worked together in the fall of 2005 on the confirmation of Supreme Court nominee John Roberts. Thompson had invited Gillespie to lunch to discuss a potential presidential bid.

On March 11, just a week before, Thompson had appeared on Fox News Sunday and told Chris Wallace that he was giving "serious consideration" to running for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination. Ever since, advisers on other campaigns have tried to figure out how he'll affect the race if he runs.

Several patrons in the restaurant recognized Thompson. One well-dressed man with thick white hair approached him for an autograph. It's possible that this man wanted the autograph because Thompson served for eight years as a senator from Tennessee. But it's more likely that he wanted a memento of the day he ate at the same restaurant as Arthur Branch, the sagacious district attorney on Law & Order; Law & Order: Special Victims Unit; Law & Order: Criminal Intent; Law & Order: Trial by Jury; and Conviction, a spin-off of, well, you can probably guess. The same man returned to the table twice more. Each time Thompson put his conversation on hold and graciously tolerated the interruption.

Gunny
04-15-2007, 03:07 PM
I really hope he gets in the race:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/013/528aylls.asp?pg=1

I like Fred Thompson. He has one thing none of the other Republican wannabe's have .... national recognition. He's also got balls, something the current crop of Republicans seems to have left in a jar on the mantle at home.

manu1959
04-15-2007, 03:10 PM
hmmmmmm ..... maybe someone i could vote for .....

Gunny
04-15-2007, 03:34 PM
hmmmmmm ..... maybe someone i could vote for .....

IF he decides to throw his hat in the ring, I will give him a serious look. The little I know of him looks good, but I don't know exactly where he stands on current issues.

Another thing to condsider is he has cancer that is in remission. That means a better than once-over look at his running mate, should it go that far.

manu1959
04-15-2007, 03:36 PM
IF he decides to throw his hat in the ring, I will give him a serious look. The little I know of him looks good, but I don't know exactly where he stands on current issues.

Another thing to condsider is he has cancer that is in remission. That means a better than once-over look at his running mate, should it go that far.

yes read about the cancer....like his style and demanor...i too would need to know more about his posistion papers ...

Kathianne
04-15-2007, 03:50 PM
yes read about the cancer....like his style and demanor...i too would need to know more about his posistion papers ...

Yep, all he has are the 8 years in the Senate, I think. But that is more than Obama and Clinton and Guiliani. Romney as governor how long? McCain we know...

Gunny
04-15-2007, 03:54 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Thompson

Some good, some I'd want some clarification on. Yeah, I know it's wikipedia, but it's usually good for a general overview.

manu1959
04-15-2007, 04:17 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Thompson

Some good, some I'd want some clarification on. Yeah, I know it's wikipedia, but it's usually good for a general overview.

thanks....will have to go do some research if he toss his hat in

glockmail
04-15-2007, 08:47 PM
He was for Campaign Finace Reform. Other that that he looks good so far.