PDA

View Full Version : Drive

Hobbit
04-16-2007, 12:05 AM
I just watched the series premiere, and I must say, I like...and I want more. For those of you who don't know, it's about a secret, underground, cross-country road race with a grand prize of $32 million. Each contestant is sent clues at certain intervals indicating where to go next, and must get there by private transporation (no planes, trains, etc.). In addition to this, each of the racers featured in the series has a complicated backstory and their own, personal reason to race. One guy is an astrophysicist who has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer and wants to see outer space before dieing. Another is a new mother who wants to escape her abusive husband with her child.

Oh, and also, the guys who run the race are very bad. The main character (or at least the guy whose name appears first in the credits) is played by Nathan Fillion (Firefly, Slither), and did not enter the race voluntarily. Somebody wanted him to race, so they kidnapped his wife, then contacted him with information on how to start the race. Also, the new mother came in last after the first day, so in order to stay in the race, she was given a loaded gun and a picture of another contestant (in a group of 3). She was told that it was an 'elimination' round, and that if that car reached the next checkpoint with that girl in it, then she'd be kicked out of the race. I'll not say how that ended, for those who tivo'd it.

As if all this isn't enough, Tim Minear (also of Firefly) has 'created by' credits. The series, so far, is quite suspenseful, and the only thing I didn't like is that I found myself sometimes wanting to hit 'fast forward' when it switched to another contestant so I could see what happened to the one I was just watching.

If you missed the premiere, all you need to know is what I printed above and the fact that all of them must now reach Rome, GA from Cape Canaveral before dark (the sun is already very low in the sky). You should probably be able to figure everything else out, except that the two Hispanic guys are half-brothers whose dad denies the existence of the older, thuggish one (he's a politician now, and it wouldn't look good to the voters for him to have walked out on a 7 year old kid).

Lefty Wilbury
04-16-2007, 12:30 AM
I missed the first bit of the first episode and i missed parts of the second since i flipping back and fourth between it and the sopranos. It seems good but lets see how it is after 8-10 episodes. A monday night of this and 24 seems pretty good.

Lefty Wilbury
04-17-2007, 12:17 AM
tonights episode was good.so far it's been interesting to see how the characters are developing.

Hobbit
04-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Quite, though I hope they start to drop off a bit on the 'everybody works for THEM' theme. It's cool, but it'll lose its appeal if it happens every time.

Lefty Wilbury
04-24-2007, 12:41 AM
it was a subtle but interesting revel that nathan fillion's character was a wheel man once a fact that was in last week's episode. what's up with Taryn Manning's character being in a road race and she can't drvie? wtf? just a twist to be explained i guess. so far it's been interesting.

Hobbit
04-24-2007, 01:35 AM
it was a subtle but interesting revel that nathan fillion's character was a wheel man once a fact that was in last week's episode. what's up with Taryn Manning's character being in a road race and she can't drvie? wtf? just a twist to be explained i guess. so far it's been interesting.

Well, she was a group deal, after all. I wonder what they're gonna do with the vet now, since he's lost his phone, and is, by all accounts going back to face court martial.

Lefty Wilbury
04-25-2007, 05:26 PM
http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/index.jsp?uuid=00bde45e-9364-48b6-af90-6138a7cbf916

Breaking! Drive Yoinked from Fox Schedule

Dang it! Drive has been plucked off Fox's Monday lineup. (And yet The Next Pussycat Doll is getting a second season! TV is many things, but fair ain't one of 'em...)

Studio sources tell me, "I’m hearing it is being pulled from Mondays—we have two remaining episodes that have been produced—waiting to hear if they will air (and where)." Four hours of the show had aired; six were in the can. No word yet on DVDs, but if you live in some far off place where Drive had yet to tour, you can read episode scripts over at TimMinear.net.

Post your condolence notices to Nathan Fillion below. Maybe he'll let you come by and make him feel better...

Hobbit
04-25-2007, 10:05 PM
WHY MUST FOX KILL EVERYTHING I LOVE!!!

First Firefly. Now this. All they care about are American Idol, 24, and the Sunday night cartoons, and all of those are on the decline.