PDA

View Full Version : sick child...flu??

Trinity
10-03-2009, 10:58 AM
On my home from work yesterday, I called my 13 year old on his cell figuring he was out running around with his friends and asked him if he had talked to his dad yet? It's there dad's weekend, and I had not heard from him all day, and did not know what time we were going to meet up.

William tells me yeah I talked to him when I was on the bus coming home. I said ok well what time does he want to get you guys? William tells me I don't know if I want to go, I told him I'd call him back when you got home. I said why? What's wrong? He says I'm sick. I said what's wrong with you? He says I got a fever. So I told him ok I'll be there in about 20 minutes and see how your doing when I get home.

I get home and he is laying on the couch under the warmest thickest blanket we own. He looks like crap. I take his his temp and it's 102.5. I go to get him some Ibuprofen and bring it to him. He tells me I already took some I asked him when did you take some? He says after I woke up. I said you took a nap!?:eek: Not normal for this child. He tells me he got off the bus at 3:15 and laid down and went to sleep. My husband said he woke up about 5 and that is when he took the Ibuprofen. I took his temp at 6:30 and it was 102.5 an hour and a half after he took the medicine. I was like jeez how high was it before you took the medicine. Of course he didn't check his temp before he took it.

So today he is still running a temp it was 101.5 of course he had taken medicine again before I checked it. He also has a stuffy/runny nose and has been laying around not doing much. If he continues running a fever all weekend I am thinking about taking him to the Dr. on Monday however I am kinda leary, cause if he has the flu I don't want to expose anyone else to it, and if he doesn't I don't want to possibly expose him to it at the Dr., with him already being sick.

chloe
10-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Geez did you find out what was wrong with him? My kid got sick this week too, just over night she was in the shower and said she was reaching for shampoo and said it went all black and she fell through the shower onto the floor and her temperature was 103. The doctor said she has type h1n1 flu and gave her a prescription, but she can't go back to school until she's done taking the medicine. I was kinda mad at my job because one boss said I could put in to take time off work but then when I requested it another boss declined it.

Kathianne
10-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Ok, I'm not keen on inoculations, especially those not tested. I'm not going for them, not in general flu and not H1N1. But that is me. On the other hand, if I was exposed and caught it, I've enough sense and education to recognize at that point nothing can be done. No antibiotics and no pats from doc. I'll save my co-payment.

chloe
10-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Im not keen on doctors myself but the law says you have to take sick kids to doctors and so I do it plus the school wants a docotr note if your gonna be out all week. What makes me mad is I still have vacation time to use before dec 31st or I lose it, and one boss said I could and the other wouldnt let me. Then the one who wouldnt let me told me that I cant ever take a sunday or monday off work ever not even using vacation time unless I am taking a whole week off as a real vacation but I will never be allowed to use 1 or 2 days of vacation time for sunday or monday and my only option is to call in sick. I have a Perfect Attendance record and will not call in. So I said ok well if I get swine flu Im coming in and getting everyone sick Im not takin any penalty because the company wont approve a vacation day. he he:poke:

Trinity
10-15-2009, 06:00 AM
Geez did you find out what was wrong with him? My kid got sick this week too, just over night she was in the shower and said she was reaching for shampoo and said it went all black and she fell through the shower onto the floor and her temperature was 103. The doctor said she has type h1n1 flu and gave her a prescription, but she can't go back to school until she's done taking the medicine. I was kinda mad at my job because one boss said I could put in to take time off work but then when I requested it another boss declined it.

I am guessing he just had a virus he ran a temp all weekend, and by Monday he was fine.....although he does have a cough now.

Funny thing the very next weekend my youngest started running a fever, but he developed a cough, and he complained of his chest hurting, so I did take him to the DR. While sitting in the waiting room he started coughing, so the nurse gave him a mask to put on...he thought that was cool.....of course this is the kid who uses his long hair as a defense mechanism to hide from the world. The first thing the Dr. checked him for was swine flu after ruling it out he told him he could take the mask off, Jesse choose to leave it on. He ended up having Bronchitis.

Trinity
10-15-2009, 06:04 AM
Ok, I'm not keen on inoculations, especially those not tested. I'm not going for them, not in general flu and not H1N1. But that is me. On the other hand, if I was exposed and caught it, I've enough sense and education to recognize at that point nothing can be done. No antibiotics and no pats from doc. I'll save my co-payment.

Yeah I'm not keen on these inoculation's either. I have never gone to get a flu shot. I don't really see me starting to anytime soon either.

Trinity
10-15-2009, 06:05 AM
Im not keen on doctors myself but the law says you have to take sick kids to doctors and so I do it plus the school wants a docotr note if your gonna be out all week. What makes me mad is I still have vacation time to use before dec 31st or I lose it, and one boss said I could and the other wouldnt let me. Then the one who wouldnt let me told me that I cant ever take a sunday or monday off work ever not even using vacation time unless I am taking a whole week off as a real vacation but I will never be allowed to use 1 or 2 days of vacation time for sunday or monday and my only option is to call in sick. I have a Perfect Attendance record and will not call in. So I said ok well if I get swine flu Im coming in and getting everyone sick Im not takin any penalty because the company wont approve a vacation day. he he:poke:

I think I would be pulling out the company handbook and reviewing the vacation policies.

chloe
10-16-2009, 10:16 AM
I think I would be pulling out the company handbook and reviewing the vacation policies.

Yeah I can't do anything they just closed down a department that was within my department and all those people are losing there job asof Oct 20th. I have been moved around since the begining of summer 5 times !!! I only got this new boss 3 weeks ago, I just don't think she likes me, my other bosses always let me take a sunday or monday off. Anyway My kids better the tamiflu stuff they gave worked.

krisy
10-17-2009, 02:39 PM
I hope the kids feel better,trin!!

My kids school district said they were going to be getting the vaccines and nasal for the swine flu. After agonizing over it and talking with their doc(who of course recomended they get it) I decided to sign the permission slip for them both to get it.

Swine flu is now running through their schools(high school and grade school) and Im ansy for them to get their vaccine. Then I find out that the schools will be getting the nasal first. This is a problem because my kids both have asthma and cannot take the nasal form. Now I have heard swine can be very dangerous if you have asthma and I'm worried they will get the flu before they get the vaccine. My daughter's asthma is not severe and only acts up if she gets something pretty bad. My son's asthme bothers him a lot morewhen its cold or hot outside and we all have bad fall allergies. I bought them both hand sanitizer for school and tols them to use it frequently.

Gaffer
10-17-2009, 02:55 PM
I hope the kids feel better,trin!!

My kids school district said they were going to be getting the vaccines and nasal for the swine flu. After agonizing over it and talking with their doc(who of course recomended they get it) I decided to sign the permission slip for them both to get it.

Swine flu is now running through their schools(high school and grade school) and Im ansy for them to get their vaccine. Then I find out that the schools will be getting the nasal first. This is a problem because my kids both have asthma and cannot take the nasal form. Now I have heard swine can be very dangerous if you have asthma and I'm worried they will get the flu before they get the vaccine. My daughter's asthma is not severe and only acts up if she gets something pretty bad. My son's asthme bothers him a lot morewhen its cold or hot outside and we all have bad fall allergies. I bought them both hand sanitizer for school and tols them to use it frequently.

Welcome back. Good to see you posting again.

The nasal spray is only suppose to be for small children and old folks. I'm surprised they are giving it to the school kids.

krisy
10-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Welcome back. Good to see you posting again.

The nasal spray is only suppose to be for small children and old folks. I'm surprised they are giving it to the school kids.

Most people can get it. There are just a few groups with certain health issues like asthme that cannot because the nasal contains a live form of the virus. The shot is the dead virus. I guess in live form it could be dangerous because it would go straight to the lungs......I guess that is risky. I'm just assuming.

Gaffer
10-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Most people can get it. There are just a few groups with certain health issues like asthme that cannot because the nasal contains a live form of the virus. The shot is the dead virus. I guess in live form it could be dangerous because it would go straight to the lungs......I guess that is risky. I'm just assuming.

The other problem with the live form is if you already have the flu, just not getting sick yet, it just adds to it instead of helping.

Mr. P
10-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Sometimes age does have advantages..

Older people are less affected by H1N1 because they’ve had it – many times. Dr. Peter Palese of Mount Sinai School of Medicine, a Big Think expert, says people over the age of 55 have built up an immunity against swine flu.