PDA

View Full Version : Jobless benefits expire as health debate rages

red states rule
10-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Dems are showing what they really care about - it is not the unemployed. Dems are to fixed on taking over the health care industry and not doing things that will create private sector jobs

Like tax cuts

Jobless benefits expire as health debate rages

Day after day, Ann McGilly has been calling the Senate and begging to know why her unemployment benefits have expired. The answer she keeps getting: Sorry, but they're busy right now fixing health care.

Hundreds of thousands of people ran out of unemployment benefits in September, and more than 1 million could have their benefits expire by the end of the year if Congress doesn't act. Ms. McGilly, who began to cry as she talked with a reporter, said she can't understand why the Senate is putting a health care bill that wouldn't take effect for years ahead of immediate action for the unemployed.

"Please make these people understand that it's cruel to make people wait like this for a health bill that may never come about," said Ms. McGilly, a New Jersey resident who received her last unemployment check last week and said she no longer has money to pay for her 17-year-old son's medication. "I signed for my final check, it was direct-deposited on Tuesday, all that money is going to my rent, and I don't even have money to buy food."

House members say they've done their part: On Sept. 22, the House voted 331-83 to grant an extra 13 weeks of benefits to states with the highest unemployment rates.

But the bill now languishes in the Senate, awaiting action by the Finance Committee - which has spent the past two weeks focused on a health care reform bill.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/oct/05/jobless-benefits-lose-out-to-health-care/

Jeff
10-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Dems are showing what they really care about - it is not the unemployed. Dems are to fixed on taking over the health care industry and not doing things that will create private sector jobs

Like tax cuts

Jobless benefits expire as health debate rages

Day after day, Ann McGilly has been calling the Senate and begging to know why her unemployment benefits have expired. The answer she keeps getting: Sorry, but they're busy right now fixing health care.

Hundreds of thousands of people ran out of unemployment benefits in September, and more than 1 million could have their benefits expire by the end of the year if Congress doesn't act. Ms. McGilly, who began to cry as she talked with a reporter, said she can't understand why the Senate is putting a health care bill that wouldn't take effect for years ahead of immediate action for the unemployed.

"Please make these people understand that it's cruel to make people wait like this for a health bill that may never come about," said Ms. McGilly, a New Jersey resident who received her last unemployment check last week and said she no longer has money to pay for her 17-year-old son's medication. "I signed for my final check, it was direct-deposited on Tuesday, all that money is going to my rent, and I don't even have money to buy food."

House members say they've done their part: On Sept. 22, the House voted 331-83 to grant an extra 13 weeks of benefits to states with the highest unemployment rates.

But the bill now languishes in the Senate, awaiting action by the Finance Committee - which has spent the past two weeks focused on a health care reform bill.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/oct/05/jobless-benefits-lose-out-to-health-care/

Ya know my kid worked a summer job at a DQ, and he received 7:15 a hr, this was a couple years ago, they keep raising minimum wage, but you have grown folks in the south here working jobs for years that aren't making much more than that

For example I have a friend of mine his brother works in a textile plant and he isn't making but $12.00 a hour ( last I heard) if minimum wage is going up shouldn't the cost of living raises be following ?

But of course the wonderful Job Obama is doing with the economy I guess most are just happy to have a job

red states rule
10-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Ya know my kid worked a summer job at a DQ, and he received 7:15 a hr, this was a couple years ago, they keep raising minimum wage, but you have grown folks in the south here working jobs for years that aren't making much more than that

For example I have a friend of mine his brother works in a textile plant and he isn't making but $12.00 a hour ( last I heard) if minimum wage is going up shouldn't the cost of living raises be following ?

But of course the wonderful Job Obama is doing with the economy I guess most are just happy to have a job

It is so obvious what needs to be done Jeff. Tax cuts would stimulate the economy, the private sector would create permanent jobs, and more people would be working and paying taxes

But Dems are so obsessed with taking over the health care system - they do not have time to actually do things that would put people to work and off the public handout rolls

Trigg
10-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't think extending unemployment benefits right now is the answer. The gov. has already done two extensions. We just can't afford to keep printing money.

red states rule
10-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't think extending unemployment benefits right now is the answer. The gov. has already done two extensions. We just can't afford to keep printing money.

In the minds of liberals, extending unemployemnt benefits will encourage people to go out and find a job

If someone can't find a job in 6 months they are not looking hard enough for a job IMO

SassyLady
10-06-2009, 02:21 AM
In the minds of liberals, extending unemployemnt benefits will encourage people to go out and find a job

If someone can't find a job in 6 months they are not looking hard enough for a job IMO

It's not about finding a "job"; it's about finding a job that pays more than the unemployment benefits. There are plenty of jobs out there, but employers are paying about 50-60% less than they were for that same job 2 years ago.

We couldn't get a bookkeeper for less than $18.00 per hour twp years ago and now I see ads all the time for a bookkeeper that practically has to run the entire business and they want them to do it for $12/hour. They need a four year education and 5-6 years experience...........and so on. If anyone was laid off recently who used to make $18.00 per hour they are now getting more than minimum wage to sit at home and do nothing. If they take a job making $12.00 they will have to pay for gas, perhaps hire a sitter, have less time with family.........so it seems more profitable to collect the benefits.

So...........there are jobs, but I believe people are waiting until their benefits run out hoping to find a job that pays them close to what they were making. With this economy I believe it's not so much the minimum wage earners looking for jobs, but a good chunk of the middle class instead.