PDA

View Full Version : Doctors protest Obama Health Care!!

Nukeman
10-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Doctors came out to protest the Obama health care today. Here is a link to the story. I love the following comment. It is absolutely spot on!!

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0909/658215.html

Obama's Health Care:
Written by a committee whose head says he doesn't understand it. Passed by a Congress that hasn't read it and will be exempt from it then signed by a President who smokes and funded by a Treasury Secretary who did not pay his own taxes. It will be overseen by a Surgeon General who is obese and will be financed by a COUNTRY THAT IS BROKE.
WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG??????

Noir
10-05-2009, 06:06 PM
The only line i have a quibble with is
"financed by a COUNTRY THAT IS BROKE."
If the declaration of a broke country is being made because of the National debt against its name then countless European countries were 'broke' before the USA had even came into being.

Nukeman
10-05-2009, 06:11 PM
The only line i have a quibble with is
"financed by a COUNTRY THAT IS BROKE."
If the declaration of a broke country is being made because of the National debt against its name then countless European countries were 'broke' before the USA had even came into being.

Yes all countries carry s acertain amount of debt but not 9 trillion dollars worth!!!

If China and Japan stop purchasing our short and long term bonds we are SCREWED!!!!!!!

Sad really to think about a communist country keeping the bastion of democracy afloat!!!!

Noir
10-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Yes all countries carry s acertain amount of debt but not 9 trillion dollars worth!!!

If China and Japan stop purchasing our short and long term bonds we are SCREWED!!!!!!!

Sad really to think about a communist country keeping the bastion of democracy afloat!!!!

What about a country like Ireland? They are 11 times their GDP in debt, Iceland isn't far behind

11 times their GDP.
As Americas GDP is about $14 trillion (2008 est.)
That would be like America owing $154 trillion...kinda makes you think no?

theHawk
10-05-2009, 08:19 PM
What about a country like Ireland? They are 11 times their GDP in debt, Iceland isn't far behind

11 times their GDP.
As Americas GDP is about $14 trillion (2008 est.)
That would be like America owing $154 trillion...kinda makes you think no?

You're comparing a country whoes GDP is 12 Billion, to one that is 14 trillion....

Noir
10-05-2009, 08:30 PM
You're comparing a country whoes GDP is 12 Billion, to one that is 14 trillion....

Indeed i am, because % GDP removes the fact that they are so different, thats why GDP is used to compare countries outputs, and debt/GDP is used to compare countries debts, and at the moment the Irish debt is 11 times there GDP, which if equated to the US would put you guys in $154 Trillion debt. So the USA is far far from broke.

theHawk
10-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Indeed i am, because % GDP removes the fact that they are so different, thats why GDP is used to compare countries outputs, and debt/GDP is used to compare countries debts, and at the moment the Irish debt is 11 times there GDP, which if equated to the US would put you guys in $154 Trillion debt. So the USA is far far from broke.

No, it just means they are more so than we are.

Noir
10-06-2009, 02:36 AM
So you take the view that any country with a National Debt is 'broke'?

theHawk
10-06-2009, 08:38 AM
So you take the view that any country with a National Debt is 'broke'?

No, a little debt is certainly OK. But when you debt grows to be too big, your interest payments go way up. Then you end up spending a bigger and bigger chunk of your money on interest payments. Once you're spending so much money on interest you can't afford to pay anything else, thats when you get into real trouble.

Noir
10-06-2009, 10:53 AM
No, a little debt is certainly OK. But when you debt grows to be too big, your interest payments go way up. Then you end up spending a bigger and bigger chunk of your money on interest payments. Once you're spending so much money on interest you can't afford to pay anything else, thats when you get into real trouble.

Tis an intresting line to take,
But please, as i assume you think the US is 'broke' what was the threshold that the US passed which took it from 'a little' debt to being broke?

theHawk
10-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Tis an intresting line to take,
But please, as i assume you think the US is 'broke' what was the threshold that the US passed which took it from 'a little' debt to being broke?

The usual consensus of being "broke" is the inability to pay one's debts. I suppose it is somewhat subjective. You could just take out a second or third mortgage. The debt now puts every American citizen in debt $40k. The median income of the US is about $44k I believe. Keep in mind not evey citizen works or has an income. The means the working class has a debt of God knows how much, $60-80k ? On top of paying all of our other expenses?

Do you honestly think its wise to just keep borrowing? Have you ever had a mortgage?

Personally I believe in spending/borrowing within your own means. I have a mortgage but I am putting down as much cash as I can every month on the principle to reduce the interest I'd end up paying over the decades. I have zero credit card debt. Is it too much to ask the government to have the same fiscal self-control?