PDA

View Full Version : Obama needs time to decide

Jeff
10-05-2009, 06:22 PM
I wonder if these 8 Hero's might be alive if Obama would let the military run the show instead of him, they say it may take weeks for him to decide if he will send more troops but the article also says our troops are spread thin, seems like a no brainier to me

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama won't walk away from the flagging war in Afghanistan, the White House declared Monday as Obama faced tough decisions — and intense administration debate — over choices that could help define his presidency in his first year as commander in chief.

The fierce Taliban attack that killed eight American soldiers over the weekend added to the pressure. The assault overwhelmed a remote U.S. outpost where American forces have been stretched thin in battling insurgents, underscoring an appeal from Obama's top Afghanistan commander for as many as 40,000 additional forces — and at the same time reminding the nation of the costs of war.

Obama's defense secretary, Robert Gates, appealed Monday for calm — and for time and privacy for the president to come to a decision.

Last week the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, called publicly for the administration to add more resources, which prompted a mild rebuke from Obama's national security adviser, James Jones, for lobbying in public.

Obama may take weeks to decide whether to add more troops, but the idea of pulling out isn't on the table as a way to deal with a war nearing its ninth year, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said.

The article goes on but this was the part that caught my eye

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091005/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_us_afghanistan