PDA

View Full Version : My theory on the 'wins' by my hometeams as of late...

KitchenKitten99
10-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Normally I don't buy into conspiracy theories, even if they do make me think a bit and see a different point of view. But as my hometeams are winning some big games as of late, I am starting to think that the timing is a little suspect.

I would love for the successes to be all their own and there isn't anything going on to aid that. But given the slippery nature of the lawmakers in this state, plus the strong-arm tactics that the team owners can sometimes use, would the following theory be out of the realm of possibility?

First part of the theory: the Twins and their recent and hopefully continuing success.

This year has been a good one for the team. Success in the games and the last year in the 'dome before moving to the all-new open-air stadium (which would have been MISERABLE tonight, given the wonderful cold rain...).

Most outside the state and not in the know about all the crap that went on to get the stadium even started, would think, "hey cool, new stadium and facilities, etc!". I do too, to a point. However I will list these facts for you to ponder and then I will continue.

-Target Field is built on land that was partially owned by the Twins' owner, Carl Pohlad and some of his buddies, as well as a few select members of various government offices around Minneapolis. Only one section was privately owned, and the owner pretty much was strong-armed into selling for the price he was offered, even after filing for an outside appraisal.
-Pohlad and the others also still own land around the Stadium. Pohlad was paid for his land by the city of Minneapolis & Hennipen county. For fair market value of course, but given the fact that Pohlad was paid last of all those that owned land, do you think values shot up a bit? Uh... duh.
-Ok, that considered, Pohlad has more than enough money to finance a new stadium all on his own. Drop in the bucket for him financially. The Twins are one of the lowest-payrolled teams in the league. However he threatened to take the Twins out of Minnesota unless they got a new stadium, paid for by the taxpayers. Teams leaving is a bit of a sore spot for us, because we have had it happen a couple times now. Lakers and Northstars.
-So, to push the deal, Hennipen county pushed through a special sales tax bill that the residents did NOT get to vote on. The sales tax just in Hennipen county (where the stadium is) went up, as well as the typical increase in land/property taxes because the values around there are now higher. They say it is only temporary. But this is, of course, a Democrat-controlled area. "Temporary" & "Tax increase" do not go together in the same sentence for these folk, where they actually mean it. So come visit Minneapolis! Help us finance the new stadium when you shop! Bottom line, many people involved (directly and indirectly) in the decision making process of this, directly benefited from the land sale deal alone.

Those facts listed are what bring me to this theory: The Twins' success, while may be of their own talent, may possibly be being helped along for distraction reasons. Pohlad has enough money to throw around and maybe grease a few key wheels. There has been A LOT of controversy around the new stadium over the past couple years. Now that we are nearing the last season in the Metrodome, who wouldn't want not only a great farewell, but tons of excitement to bring people to the new stadium that they not only paid for through taxes, but now shell out additional $$ for tickets, food, souvenirs, etc.

What better way to get people to forget about the BS that has been endured and likely went on without knowledge, than having the very team we built the stadium for, go far, if not win the division, and possibly the World Series? If the Twins would have had a losing season, how popular do you think they would be, even in the new stadium? How do you think people would feel about the multi-million dollar stadium built for a team that isn't competitive and hasn't been for years? People might start to question whether or not we needed to build one, wouldn't they?

So what does that have to do with the Vikings? Guess who also wants a new stadium? Yup.

I am happy for the success of the Vikings, especially last night against Green Bay. But now that the Twins are moving out of the Dome, not much left for its' use except the Vikings games. I think that the Vikings are trying to show THEY are also worth financing a new stadium for, so wheels are being greased in the right spots too...

If any of this is true, the Twins players and indirect workers themselves don't know about it and are truly playing their hearts out. You can see it, plus it would be stupid to allow that many people to know about something like that.

I certainly hope I am completely wrong, but as far as the Twins go, the timing just seems a little coincidental.

For now, i will just sit in my ignorant bliss of the Twins advancing to division series and hope that maybe we will see another World Series here and send the Twins off to the new stadium on a good note.