PDA

View Full Version : The ‘No kids’ debate continues

actsnoblemartin
10-07-2009, 12:03 AM
http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/08/13/the-no-kids-debate-continues/

Writer Anne Kingston takes on the impassioned—and often cruel—reader letters about her controversial article
by Anne Kingston on Thursday, August 13, 2009 11:59pm - 376 Comments

We knew “The Case Against Having Kids,” the August 3 cover story, would elicit response and debate. But we weren’t prepared for the deluge—well over a hundred letters and more than 1,000 comments on Macleans.ca (at last count). Clearly, the subject struck a nerve—and as one email indicates, even a gastrointestinal tract or two: “Disgusted,” was its subject line. “It made me nauseous to read the article…in fact, I’m not even sure what was the point of the article aside from promoting yet another fad and the ultimate age of selfishness.”

So to recap the point of the article: to examine the small but growing strata of people who are choosing not to have children. The moment was ripe: Corinne Maier’s manifesto No Kids: 40 Good Reasons Not to Have Children, which sparked furor in France last year, was about to land in North America. Increasingly those who are voluntarily childless are taken seriously as a statistical cohort and as the subject of research. Additionally, a number of high-profile women, such Cameron Diaz, have recently said they have no plans to have children.

bullypulpit
10-07-2009, 07:24 AM
http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/08/13/the-no-kids-debate-continues/

Writer Anne Kingston takes on the impassioned—and often cruel—reader letters about her controversial article
by Anne Kingston on Thursday, August 13, 2009 11:59pm - 376 Comments

We knew “The Case Against Having Kids,” the August 3 cover story, would elicit response and debate. But we weren’t prepared for the deluge—well over a hundred letters and more than 1,000 comments on Macleans.ca (at last count). Clearly, the subject struck a nerve—and as one email indicates, even a gastrointestinal tract or two: “Disgusted,” was its subject line. “It made me nauseous to read the article…in fact, I’m not even sure what was the point of the article aside from promoting yet another fad and the ultimate age of selfishness.”

So to recap the point of the article: to examine the small but growing strata of people who are choosing not to have children. The moment was ripe: Corinne Maier’s manifesto No Kids: 40 Good Reasons Not to Have Children, which sparked furor in France last year, was about to land in North America. Increasingly those who are voluntarily childless are taken seriously as a statistical cohort and as the subject of research. Additionally, a number of high-profile women, such Cameron Diaz, have recently said they have no plans to have children.

So what's your point Marty? Women should remain in the kitchen...barefoot and pregnant? They should be swaddled from head to toe in a bourka? If women do, or don't wanna have children, it is their choice...It is their body.

glockmail
10-07-2009, 07:53 AM
I think its great that liberal women tie their tubes before reaching child bearing age. This should be whole-heartedly encouraged.

chloe
10-07-2009, 07:55 AM
It's not just women, a guy I work with is only 26 yrs old he had a vascectomy at 24 yrs old, while married ! He doesn't want kids, he came from a family of 11 kids and there was alot of issues in the family growing up so he decided it was better for him not to have children. I always thought gee 24 yrs old is so young to decide, but he has no regrets and that was 2 yrs ago. I think if someone knows they aren't a kid person it is better for them to choose not to have them. This other buddy of mine was adopted by an older couple, and he tells horrific stories of the adoptive mom freaking out on him when the husband was at work and they were alone. Some people shouldnt have kids, and whats wrong with them knowing that?

glockmail
10-07-2009, 10:13 AM
I also think its great when liberal men cut their tubes. Heck they're practically eunuchs anyway.

Insein
10-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Makes sense to me. If you don't like kids, don't have them. No need to bring a life into the world thats going to suffer because of their parents. Eventually those people will die and their genetics will die out.

10-07-2009, 11:39 AM
There is a debate? i figured people just make their own choices. silly me.

crin63
10-07-2009, 11:48 AM
I find the whole thing encouraging that lunatics lefties like Cameron Diaz will never reproduce. Wow what a gift to the rest of us, thank you.

actsnoblemartin
10-07-2009, 01:00 PM
I think we need less children not more, but its still a personal decision, but way to assume and spin

:lol:

So what's your point Marty? Women should remain in the kitchen...barefoot and pregnant? They should be swaddled from head to toe in a bourka? If women do, or don't wanna have children, it is their choice...It is their body.

Binky
10-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I think its great that liberal women tie their tubes before reaching child bearing age. This should be whole-heartedly encouraged.

:laugh2::laugh2:There's that humor again. Hilarious....:lol::lol:

Binky
10-07-2009, 03:37 PM
I also think its great when liberal men cut their tubes. Heck they're practically eunuchs anyway.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Binky
10-07-2009, 03:41 PM
I find the whole thing encouraging that lunatics lefties like Cameron Diaz will never reproduce. Wow what a gift to the rest of us, thank you.

Too bad the rest of Hollyweird didn't tie tubes or get the 'ol vasectomy......

glockmail
10-10-2009, 07:49 AM
:laugh2::laugh2:There's that humor again. Hilarious....:lol::lol: Hey babe, I'm being serious here. :smoke:

KitchenKitten99
10-10-2009, 08:15 PM
If you don't want to be a parent, fine. But don't start disparaging and insulting those that do (i.e. calling us derogatory names like 'breeders') or we will start resurrecting (or at least i will) derogatory names for whatever group you are with... hey, an eye for and eye...

actsnoblemartin
10-10-2009, 10:11 PM
I didnt use any of those terms, i brought up and article

If you don't want to be a parent, fine. But don't start disparaging and insulting those that do (i.e. calling us derogatory names like 'breeders') or we will start resurrecting (or at least i will) derogatory names for whatever group you are with... hey, an eye for and eye...