PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Padres win the 2010 World Series!!!

Little-Acorn
10-09-2009, 07:51 PM
I remarked to my 11-year-old son that it was strange that President Obama had gotten the Nobel Peace Prize, when he hadn't been in office for even a year, and none of the things he had tried, had worked yet. I pointed out that maybe someday they would work, and maybe he would deserve the Peace Prize then. But it was strange he was getting it now.

A little too complex for my 11-year old. So I used a different description.

Suppose at the beginning of the next Major League Baseball season in the Spring of 2010, the local San Diego Padres came to their first scheduled game. They start playing, and after three innings the score is still 0-0.

At that point the Baseball Commissioner stands up, grabs a mike, and announces that the Padres have won the World Series for that baseball season. They will henceforth be called the 2010 World Series Champions.

People are astounded. Hey, they say, the Padres have barely begun playing; and the efforts they have made so far have been completely unsuccessful. The game isn't over, of course, and neither is the season, they are just getting started, and maybe they will start succeeding pretty soon. Maybe by October 2010 the Padres will deserve to be called World Series Champions - it could happen. No one can prove it won't. The fact that the Padres finished some 20 games out of first place the previous season, doesn't mean they will finish that way again in 2010.

The Baseball Commissioner gives the following explanation:

"The Padres have made every effort to win the Championship possible. They are sincerely trying their hardest to win every game. And this after a previous season of great difficulty. We are giving them this prize in order to encourage them, and every other team, to continue putting out the great effort for such a good cause."

-----------------------------------------

NOW do you understand why Obama has won the Nobel Peace Prize?

Me neither.

:coffee:

sgtdmski
10-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Great analogy!!!!!!!!!!

dmk