PDA

View Full Version : Last year Virginia Assy rejected gun carry permits on V.Tech campus

Little-Acorn
04-16-2007, 04:12 PM
In many states, you can get a permit to carrry a concealed weapon if you abide by certain conditions. You have to have a clean criminal background, i.e. no past criminal history. You have to be mentally competent. You have to take a firearms safety course, and in some state repeat that course yearly. If you qualify in all these things, you can get a permit to carry a weapon. This can come in handy when someone starts selecting people in a classroom and shooting them in the head for no apparent reason.

It is also nice to have such permits available, when some whacko is contemplating someday lining up people and shooting them in the head. He may notice that laws permitting ordinary law-abiding citizens to carry, exist where he wants to do his thing. And he may realize that, if he takes any time at all to get through 32 people (plus 28 wounded), chances are that SOMEONE will have a gun nearby... and he won't know where. He obviously isn't afraid of dying, and even intends to die... but not before doing his thing and killing a dozen or three of his fellow men.

But here he will see that he's pretty unlikely to be able to make whatever insane statement he wanted to make before getting suddenly dead, a lot sooner than he intended. This may affect his planning, or even get him to take up another line of work. IF the laws permit qualified, law-abiding people to carry concealed weapons where he is.

If they had permitted qualified, law-abiding people to carrry on campus, probably most people wouldn't bother anyway. But a few probably would - they already found one guy who was one of those qualified, law-abiding people who did carry on campus, and they busted him for it.

But last year, when a bill was presented to the Virginia Assembly to allow qualified people to carry a concealed weapon on campuses including Virginia Tech, the Assembly never even let it onto the floor for a vote. They killed it in committee. And so law-abiding people, no matter how responsible and carful, were forbidden to carry concealed weapons on campus. Some legislator even boasted that he would feel safer on campus because of it.

As today's assassin moved from room to room, shooting people literally for hours while NO ONE HAD THE ABILITY TO STOP HIM, I wonder if any of the soon-to-be-victims wished that that other student who got busted for exercising his legal concealed-carry permit, was there to help.

Looks like the Virgina Assembly killed more than just a bill that day.

--------------------------------------------------------

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658

Gun bill gets shot down by panel - Roanoke.com

Roanoke.com
January 31, 2006
Greg Esposito

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.

The bill was proposed by Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, on behalf of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Gilbert was unavailable Monday and spokesman Gary Frink would not comment on the bill's defeat other than to say the issue was dead for this General Assembly session.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Last spring a Virginia Tech student was disciplined for bringing a handgun to class, despite having a concealed handgun permit. Some gun owners questioned the university's authority, while the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police came out against the presence of guns on campus.

Gunny
04-16-2007, 04:20 PM
In many states, you can get a permit to carrry a concealed weapon if you abide by certain conditions. You have to have a clean criminal background, i.e. no past criminal history. You have to be mentally competent. You have to take a firearms safety course, and in some state repeat that course yearly. If you qualify in all these things, you can get a permit to carry a weapon. This can come in handy when someone starts selecting people in a classroom and shooting them in the head for no apparent reason.

It is also nice to have such permits available, when some whacko is contemplating someday lining up people and shooting them in the head. He may notice that laws permitting ordinary law-abiding citizens to carry, exist where he wants to do his thing. And he may realize that, if he takes any time at all to get through 32 people (plus 28 wounded), chances are that SOMEONE will have a gun nearby... and he won't know where. He obviously isn't afraid of dying, and even intends to die... but not before doing his thing and killing a dozen or three of his fellow men.

But here he will see that he's pretty unlikely to be able to make whatever insane statement he wanted to make before getting suddenly dead, a lot sooner than he intended. This may affect his planning, or even get him to take up another line of work. IF the laws permit qualified, law-abiding people to carry concealed weapons where he is.

If they had permitted qualified, law-abiding people to carrry on campus, probably most people wouldn't bother anyway. But a few probably would - they already found one guy who was one of those qualified, law-abiding people who did carry on campus, and they busted him for it.

But last year, when a bill was presented to the Virginia Assembly to allow qualified people to carry a concealed weapon on campuses including Virginia Tech, the Assembly never even let it onto the floor for a vote. They killed it in committee. And so law-abiding people, no matter how responsible and carful, were forbidden to carry concealed weapons on campus. Some legislator even boasted that he would feel safer on campus because of it.

As today's assassin moved from room to room, shooting people literally for hours while NO ONE HAD THE ABILITY TO STOP HIM, I wonder if any of the soon-to-be-victims wished that that other student who got busted for exercising his legal concealed-carry permit, was there to help.

Looks like the Virgina Assembly killed more than just a bill that day.

--------------------------------------------------------

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658

Gun bill gets shot down by panel - Roanoke.com

Roanoke.com
January 31, 2006
Greg Esposito

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.

The bill was proposed by Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, on behalf of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Gilbert was unavailable Monday and spokesman Gary Frink would not comment on the bill's defeat other than to say the issue was dead for this General Assembly session.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Last spring a Virginia Tech student was disciplined for bringing a handgun to class, despite having a concealed handgun permit. Some gun owners questioned the university's authority, while the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police came out against the presence of guns on campus.

That's okay. The shooter didn't mind.

Samantha
04-16-2007, 04:25 PM
If students carried guns on campus, there would be a hell of a lot more shootings on campus.

Gunny
04-16-2007, 04:26 PM
If students carried guns on campus, there would be a hell of a lot more shootings on campus.

Speculation.

glockmail
04-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Speculation. And totally unfounded. In fact, the opposite is more likely to be true.

Gunny
04-16-2007, 04:31 PM
And totally unfounded. In fact, the opposite is more likely to be true.

The glaring problem here is only the criminal had a gun. See how well gun control works?

Little-Acorn
04-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Speculation.

Correction: IGNORANT speculation.

A generation ago, most schools had shooting teams - not only colleges, but even high schools. And lots of kids carrried their plinking rifle in the car while at school, to stop by the pond or quarry or target range after school. And campus shootings like the ones Samatha keeps hoping for to prove her point, were nonexistent.

This has been pointed out endlessly on this and other boards. Fanatical leftist individuals like Samatha rely on theirr own remarkably short memories, as well as those of their constituents, to keep pushing their disingenuous agenda in the face of known facts that refute them every time.

If concealed carry were permitted at VaTech, do you think this shooter could have taken three hours and killed 32 people, wounding 28 more? Even though most students and faculty wouldn't have bothered carrying?

Gunny
04-16-2007, 04:36 PM

A generation ago, most schools had shooting teams - not only colleges, but even high schools. And campus shootings like the ones Samatha keeps hoping for to prove her point, were nonexistent.

This has been pointed out endlessly on this and other boards. Leftist individuals like Samatha rely on theirr own remarkably short memories, as well as those of their constituents, to keep pushing their disingenuous agenda in the face of known facts that refute them every time.

If concealed carry were permitted at VaTech, do you think this shooter could have taken three hours and killed 32 people, wounding 28 more? Even though most students and faculty wouldn't have bothered carrying?

Nope. I've already stated more than once if the criminal wasn't the only one with a gun, this wouln't have gotten much further than the beginning instead a couple-hour rampage from one end of the campus to the other.

Wonder how long he'd have lasted at VMI?

glockmail
04-16-2007, 04:36 PM
The glaring problem here is only the criminal had a gun. See how well gun control works? BAsed on the facts that this went on for two hours, there was a lock down and then there wasn't, tells me that wasn't the only problem. How many Liberal administrators will lose their jobs over their incompetance today?

Gunny
04-16-2007, 04:41 PM
BAsed on the facts that this went on for two hours, there was a lock down and then there wasn't, tells me that wasn't the only problem. How many Liberal administrators will lose their jobs over their incompetance today?

IIRC, VT is a conservative school. Obviously, there is a security problem.

Samantha
04-16-2007, 04:47 PM

Speculation.No, logic.

Correction: Logic

............And campus shootings like the ones Samatha keeps hoping for to prove her point, were nonexistent. How dare you tell such an ugly lie about what I hope for? You're an asshole.

glockmail
04-16-2007, 04:50 PM
.... How dare you tell such an ugly lie about what I hope for? You're an asshole. Another angry liberal. Why not shoot the guy? :laugh2:

Gunny
04-16-2007, 04:57 PM
No, logic.

Correction: Logic How dare you tell such an ugly lie about what I hope for? You're an asshole.

I don't see it as logic. I see speculation based on an agenda and no fact.

It's pretty common knowledge that when everyone knows or thinks everyone could be armed, we suddenly become a more respectful society again.

Sure, the possibility exists that there may be random shootings. It would however pretty-much negate a 31 dead 17 wounded shooting spree by one nut job.

Little-Acorn
04-16-2007, 05:02 PM
No, logic.

Correction: Logic How dare you tell such an ugly lie about what I hope for? You're an asshole.

Well, finally Samantha noticed something I DID write. That's progress, even if it were the nonsense part of my post.

What's uglier, Sam? A post on a BBS, or 32 dead college students?

If people like you would get their heads out and see what's actually going on around them for a change, eventually BBS posts would be the ugliest thing you had to worry about. Because the occasional insane whacko who wants to shoot people on campus, would decide not to; or he would try anyway and wind up dead after the first few shots.

But no, go ahead and keep forbidding innocent, law-abiding people from defending themselves. Maybe you can go to the next of kin of the victims of the NEXT massacre, and explain to them how safe you made their campus by banning weapons from their law-abiding loved ones (but not from criminal shooters who don't obey your laws).

Gaffer
04-16-2007, 05:31 PM
My satelite is off right now so couldn't watch the news today. Just found out about it on here. Gonna have to do some news surfin. Another prime example of what gun control can do for you.

Now my next question would be, is his name mohamad or abu something?

glockmail
04-16-2007, 08:09 PM

Now my next question would be, is his name mohamad or abu something? Chinese national.

Gaffer
04-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Chinese national.

That's the latest I read too. Here on a visa. Could be malaysian or thai. Need more info.

04-16-2007, 08:57 PM

Based on what evidence?

loosecannon
04-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Only on this board would the topic be "gun rights" instead of "30 dead in on campus shooting spree".

Just a freindly reminder that this kind of event happens every single day in Iraq since we deposed and allowed the hanging of Saddam Axisofevilmutherfucker Hussein.

Every single day this many civilians die via whacko murderers in Iraq.

Sleep tight

Samantha
04-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Based on what evidence?Based on logic.

04-17-2007, 02:24 AM
Based on logic.

Logic says those without guns when an evil person begins firing are far more likely to be shot than those with guns firing back.

Gaffer
04-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Only on this board would the topic be "gun rights" instead of "30 dead in on campus shooting spree".

Just a freindly reminder that this kind of event happens every single day in Iraq since we deposed and allowed the hanging of Saddam Axisofevilmutherfucker Hussein.

Sleep tight

I know you miss saddam. It's a shame you can't go take part in the tortures and rapes like you use too. But suck it up comrade you have a job to do undermining America. Keep plugging away and maybe some will believe your lies. Taking a country down from within is not easy work.

Gunny
04-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Based on logic.

It's a baseless assumption.

Dilloduck
04-17-2007, 08:23 AM

Sleep tight

I guess tying to take away all the guns in Iraq isn't working very well.

You statemet is inaccurate----on this board there are threads on BOTH topics. Why are you so invested in portraying this board negatively that you would try to disseminate false information?

darin
04-17-2007, 09:23 AM
No, logic.

Correction: Logic

Translation:

"Nuh-UH!!"

:-/

You'd better have at least a modicum of evidence to support your opinion, or your opinion is probably wrong.

glockmail
04-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Based on logic. Faulty logic, maybe, but I suspect your opinion is based on knee jerk emotion. Either way, you are wrong-o.

Little-Acorn
04-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Logic says those without guns when an evil person begins firing are far more likely to be shot than those with guns firing back.

When an evil person begins firing, and those with guns fire back, ALL the shooting is likely to come to a stop much more quickly than if no one fires back.

In particular, the evil person is less likely to take several hours walking from room to room killing THIRTY-TWO PEOPLE, if he becomes dead a few seconds after firing the first shot.

5stringJeff
04-17-2007, 03:28 PM
No, logic.

Your logic makes the incorrect assumption that people who carry guns (e.g. with a concealed carry license) tend to shoot people for offensive reasons. The opposite is true: people who carry typically do so for defensive purposes.

tim_duncan2000
04-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Based on logic.

Is that the same logic used by people who are against conceal/carry laws because it will cause more violence? If so, then it's poor logic because that didn't happen.

Kathianne
04-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Based on logic.

What logic? Jeff is right, you are basing on offensive.

glockmail
04-17-2007, 07:15 PM
What logic? Jeff is right, you are basing on offensive. Ass kisser. :laugh2: