PDA

View Full Version : Marriage and God?

-Cp
10-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Where in the Bible does it mention that Adam and Eve were ever married?

I find no exchanging of vows, no ceremony, no ring, no contract.... anyone?

darin
10-14-2009, 06:32 AM
Because marriage doesn't require that - not in the 'spiritual marriage' sense. Marriage - the vows a mand and woman makes to one another - are between the two of them, ultimately.

crin63
10-14-2009, 10:51 AM
The marriage was when God brought the woman (Eve) unto Adam. God was giving her to him as a father does his daughter.

10-14-2009, 11:18 AM
In Genesis chapter 2:

21 And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

22 And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed. (Gensis 2:21-25)

-Cp
10-14-2009, 01:17 PM
In Genesis chapter 2:

Again:

Noir
10-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Again:

As has been said i don't think that vows ect are all that important, its just being joined in the eyes of God.

What i find a more interesting spin is that of brothers and sisters marrying and having children with each other =/

darin
10-14-2009, 03:59 PM
^^^ Yup. I got legally married because it affords protections and benefits not otherwise available. But honestly, had my wife and I said "You'll do" to one-another, that's all it would have taken IMO

crin63
10-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Again:

Gosh, I guess maybe God didn't see it as necessary with them being the only 2 people on earth and that He was giving Eve to Adam. Forsaking all others probably wasn't an issue.

Kathianne
10-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Yet, Jesus chose to go 'public' at a wedding:

http://www.neverthirsty.org/pp/series/Life/LH021/LH01.html

Seems there are lots of issues:

1. Weddings
2. Listening/Obeying mother
3. Wine drinking

-Cp
10-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Gosh, I guess maybe God didn't see it as necessary with them being the only 2 people on earth and that He was giving Eve to Adam. Forsaking all others probably wasn't an issue.

Of course it would be an issue - at some point... The point here is - in my opinion - that vows and other crappy sanctimonious things we do are culturally driven and have nothing at all to do w/ God's idea of marriage...

chesswarsnow
10-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Animals don't get married.
2. Thats why God made humans a cut above.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

10-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Again:

Verse 23. And even if you dont accept that as a vow, it's clear from the passage that they were indeed married because they state that they are man and wife.

-Cp
10-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Verse 23. And even if you dont accept that as a vow, it's clear from the passage that they were indeed married because they state that they are man and wife.

Right - I don't dispute that... but what constitutes a marriage?

darin
10-15-2009, 04:17 PM
well - the WEIRDEST part of the Adam story was prior to eve, God sent all manner of animals to him, but none were sufficient as a mate. The mind wonders what thatmight mean.

PostmodernProphet
10-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Again:

lol, avatar just answered your question, why ignore it?......

bullypulpit
10-23-2009, 04:36 AM
As has been said i don't think that vows ect are all that important, its just being joined in the eyes of God.

What i find a more interesting spin is that of brothers and sisters marrying and having children with each other =/

That, and one, or both, of the boys seems to have tapped mom. After all, there was Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel in the beginning.

Noir
10-23-2009, 04:46 AM
That, and one, or both, of the boys seems to have tapped mom. After all, there was Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel in the beginning.

....nice...

(Btw south park reference before anyones baws)