PDA

View Full Version : 25 Attributes of a cult:

-Cp
10-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Sounds like most "churches" I've been to..

This list is taken from a college course called "The Psychology of Fundamentalism" offered by the University of Texas

1. the leader is charismatic and often militaristically demanding
2. the leader is always right
3. elitism, the leaders treated as royalty or a sense of awe, hierarchical, authoritarian power structure
4. lower members get no respect, or get abused
5. leader is not held accountable for his actions or the actions of his authority structure
6. leader will not tolerate or receive criticism, but leader criticizes all others
7. there is no exit
8. if members exit they are considered rebellious, out of the will of a higher power or the leader
9. members do not have any association with members that have left the group
10. there are no graduates from the “program” or group, just deserters or evil people
11. there is cult speak (a language many others can not understand)
12. personal attacks on critics or those who are not in the group
13. solidarity within themselves, no outside allegiance or association
14. use of guilt to manipulate members
15. the leaders of group are self absorbed
16. instant community
17. members unable to tell the truth
18. money grubbing
19. newcomers don’t “think right” and need to be trained
20. system of punishment and reward
21. intrusiveness
22. sense of powerless, dependency, covert fear, guilt
23. members and leaders are imbalanced or mentally ill
24. thought stopping language, clichés, or slogans
25. demands of ultra loyalty or ultra trust in the groups process and others

10-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Eh, It always seems that a cult as the term is presently used is simply "A religion/sect I dont like."

This list seems completely arbitrary. And as you point out, it could describe many churches that would be considered mainstream.

crin63
10-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Eh, It always seems that a cult as the term is presently used is simply "A religion/sect I dont like."

This list seems completely arbitrary. And as you point out, it could describe many churches that would be considered mainstream.

These kinds of lists are always generated and embraced by those opposed organized religion, personal accountability, and pretty much standards of any kind. They just want to do what is right in their own eyes instead of applying Biblical directives or principles. I guess if they label it a cult then it eases their conscience. Most of the list is completely ridiculous.

darin
10-16-2009, 06:56 AM
reads like a description of the Obama Administration.