PDA

View Full Version : Now This Bodes Well For 2010

Kathianne
10-17-2009, 12:42 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704107204574475292426931168.html

Health Care's Coattails
Democrats are losing because of national issues.
By JOHN FUND

Republicans won a pair of special elections on Tuesday in Tennessee and Oklahoma, picking up seats held by Democrats for decades. Combined with this month's capture of the Albuquerque mayor's office by a Republican for the first time in 28 years, Democrats have reason to be nervous about the approaching November 3 off-year elections. Given their lackluster performance in these races, they could face serious turnout problems that will boost GOP performance.

In Tennessee, Republican businessman Pat Marsh won 56% of the vote to defeat Democrat Ty Cobb. It wasn't as if Mr. Cobb had a name unknown to voters. His brother Curt had held the seat before resigning to take another government office (and it probably didn't hurt having the same name as a baseball legend). But Mr. Cobb attributed his defeat to the fact that "a lot of people based their opinions on national issues . . . the health care issue was the main one."

A couple of states over, national issues may also have played a role in the GOP capture of an Oklahoma House seat held by Democrats since 1965. Republican Todd Russ won 56% of the vote even though registered Democrats have a two-to-one edge in the district. The twin victories mean Republicans have captured a total of six state legislative seats from Democrats in special elections this year. The other wins came in Delaware, Texas, New Hampshire and Virginia.:coffee:

chesswarsnow
10-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. Oh great lets send the lame old reps up there in droves.
2. And then wonder why everything stays so screwed up.:eek:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Kathianne
10-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Can't say I'm keen on the Republicans, but glad I could make your day! They've proven themselves to spend our money less quickly and right now that's looking better and better.

Gaffer
10-17-2009, 09:45 AM
So which do you prefer chess, repubs or commies?

Kathianne
10-17-2009, 09:47 AM

I'm with the repubs is those are my choices.

Check out my next post; long time, no see. At least when on at same time!

Gaffer
10-17-2009, 10:33 AM
My timing for when your on line too seems to be bad. Looks like you have been busy today lots of great posts. You always steer me toward great articles.

crin63
10-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Since I don't know how conservative the Republicans that were elected are I cant say I'm excited about them winning exactly. I am excited that maybe America is waking up and watching their country rapidly slipping away. If these Republicans aren't conservative I hope they are at least something of a stop-gap measure and inspire actual conservatives to step up and run. At the very minimum this is a referendum on the direction the Marxists are taking us.

chesswarsnow
10-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. Look either way we're screwed.
2. So I don't have a preference.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Gaffer
10-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. Look either way we're screwed.
2. So I don't have a preference.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

With one we have a republic and freedom under the Constitution and with the other we have a dictatorship and no freedoms, but you don't have a preference?

If you want to keep the muzzies out you bet develop a preference.

SassyLady
10-18-2009, 01:28 AM
I made a vow to never vote for someone who is already in office.

I want the politicians to know that this is not a career for them - it's an opportunity to get in there and make the changes that need to be made and then hand the ball off. Right now most of them campaign to get in office and then spend the rest of their time in office campaigning for the next election. I want them to spend that time actually "READING" the bills they are voting on.

At this point - I just want people who have not already been corrupted by the process.

Gaffer
10-18-2009, 01:07 PM
I made a vow to never vote for someone who is already in office.

I want the politicians to know that this is not a career for them - it's an opportunity to get in there and make the changes that need to be made and then hand the ball off. Right now most of them campaign to get in office and then spend the rest of their time in office campaigning for the next election. I want them to spend that time actually "READING" the bills they are voting on.

At this point - I just want people who have not already been corrupted by the process.

I totally agree. I don't want career politicians in office. And I want to see a lot of independents in congress. The more the better. I want term limits for all government officials.

Trigg
10-19-2009, 12:14 PM
I totally agree. I don't want career politicians in office. And I want to see a lot of independents in congress. The more the better. I want term limits for all government officials.

That would be wonderful

GW in Ohio
10-20-2009, 02:34 PM
I'll tell you what I expect in 2010....

My punk-ass congressman, Pat Tiberi, is finally going to get a worthy challenger and he is goin' down.

Tiberi inherited the seat held for years by John Kasich in a "safe" Republican district. In 2008 he beat a 73 year old challenger by only 53-47 in a campaign in which the Democrat had no TV ads and no support from the Democratic party.

This year, his challenger is Paula Brooks. She has at least as much money as Tiberi and will run a very aggressive campaign in which she will portray Tiberi as a Bush toady and a little weasel.

I expect to have a Democratic congresswoman in this traditionally Republican district next year.

cat slave
10-20-2009, 07:20 PM
This current gaggle of Marxists on the hill makes anyone look good now.
Ill vote Pub and be glad we can still have another election...if we do.