PDA

View Full Version : Electronic cigarettes: In need of FDA regulation?

chloe
10-17-2009, 10:51 AM
By Ron Scherer

A federal judge is expected to rule soon on whether the FDA has the authority to regulate electronic cigarettes, or e-cigarettes, which contain nicotine but not tobacco.

New York - They look like cigarettes, but they have names most people have never heard of: Gamucci, Cloud 9, and Njoy.

That's because they are electronic cigarettes, or e-cigarettes. These battery-powered devices do not create smoke but provide a mist of nicotine to the user's lungs.

These items are about to become better known because a federal judge is expected to decide shortly on whether the Food and Drug Administration has authority to regulate them. The devices, which do not contain tobacco, are already being sold around the country.

From the FDA's viewpoint, the e-smokes are "drug delivery" devices, the same as nicotine gum, which is regulated by the agency. The industry association for the product describes it as an "alternative to tobacco," and the association says it would like to work with the FDA. The public-health community is divided, with some wanting to see more research on the items and others seeing them as a way to help people quit tobacco use.

Already, e-cigarettes are entering the public arena.

One airline, Ryanair, which mainly operates in Europe, not only permits their use on flights, but also sells them to passengers. Some "no smoking" restaurants in the United States are permitting their use, say advocates for the product.

The devices are also available as e-cigars and e-pipes.

"Two years ago, no one had ever heard of these things," says Matt Salmon, president of the Electronic Cigarette Association (ECA) in Washington.

"Today, there is an estimate there are 300,000 users, but I think it's in excess of that," says Mr. Salmon, an antismoking advocate and former congressman.

In the e-cigarettes, most of which are made in China, there is no combustion of tobacco. Instead, the device contains a lithium battery. That heats up an atomizer, which turns the nicotine into a vapor.
When the user inhales the vapor, the device's tip glows with a red LED light to mimic the experience of smoking a cigarette.

On e-cigarette websites, former tobacco users offer testimonials about how the new product has saved their lives.

But John Banzhaf, a professor at George Washington University Law School who also heads up an organization called Action on Smoking and Health (ASH), wonders if there is a cardiovascular risk for e-smoke users. And, he adds, "We don't know to what extent kids get hooked."

Enter the FDA.

They have looked at those websites and more. "Some of the product information says you can use the e-cigarettes to help quit smoking," says Siobhan DeLancey, a spokeswoman for the FDA. The agency believes the products should be brought to it for premarket approval, and data should be presented showing the product is safe and effective for its intended use.

In July, the FDA did preliminary research, buying some of the products online and at shopping-center kiosks. The products were "inconsistent" in their levels of nicotine, Ms. DeLancey says.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/1017/p02s03-ussc.html

Gaffer
10-17-2009, 10:55 AM
The government just wants to be able to tax the shit out of em, like they do everything else.

chloe
10-17-2009, 10:58 AM
One of my relatives who was a chaine smoker switched over to these electri cigarettes, and he smokes in my moms house and resteraunts and there is no smoke or smell you don't even know he's smoking unless your sitting there watching. He did that for a couple years and then quit smoking.

Gaffer
10-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Trinity is looking into them. They seem like a great way to stop smoking. I smoke for the taste. I would like to try one and see what it tastes like. If it has no taste I wouldn't be interested.

chloe
10-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Trinity is looking into them. They seem like a great way to stop smoking. I smoke for the taste. I would like to try one and see what it tastes like. If it has no taste I wouldn't be interested.

It must satisfy the craving somewhat because he used to smoke a pack and a half a day, and it was really hard for him at work until he switched over to the electric cig, he said the e-cig was cheaper too, I don't really understand how they work but he was really addicted to tobacco so for him switching over was a big deal then after a couple years he was able to quit completely. Trinity will have to give us a report on what she thinks of it if she tries it.

Jeff
10-18-2009, 08:02 PM
A buddy of mine was using them also, they were great, then we read that there were all kinds of poisons in them, Not real sure if it is true, but I know they changed there commercial on Sirius to, "we can't say they are healthier than cigarettes but you do the math" , Trinity look into them good, before ya use them and if ya don't mind let me know what ya find out, thanks

chloe
10-18-2009, 08:06 PM
A buddy of mine was using them also, they were great, then we read that there were all kinds of poisons in them, Not real sure if it is true, but I know they changed there commercial on Sirius to we can't say they are healthier than cigarettes but you do the math , Trinity look into them good, and let me know what ya find out, thanks

The poisons are probably equal either way, but the e cig benefit for smokers is they can smoke just about anywhere virtually undetected.....it's like a undercover cig:laugh2:

Jeff
10-18-2009, 08:53 PM
The poisons are probably equal either way, but the e cig benefit for smokers is they can smoke just about anywhere virtually undetected.....it's like a undercover cig:laugh2:

LOL, My buddy used it to quit, he smoked the e cig and kept lowering the dose, but then went right back, I think ya have to really want to quit in order to do so, no gimmicks are going to work