PDA

View Full Version : Would you?

jimnyc
10-19-2009, 10:58 AM
A friend and I are thinking of re-selling PC's bought at bulk discount. These machines would be all brand new parts installed and built by us, per manufacturers specs. We are going to test the field first to survey demand at certain prices before we take the gamble. Thought I would run a scenario by you guys here and see if anyone thinks it's a good deal or not.

My friend thinks we should include keyboard, mouse and monitor to the deals - where as I think the PC itself should be solo. Of course once we have more money we can offer different scenarios. But to start:

Asus motherboard supporting socket 775 processors (intel chipset)
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz processor
2 Gig DDR2 memory
750 Gig Sata Hard drive
Black mid tower case w/ power supply
Windows XP Pro edition

I could go into more detail about the specs but that's the gist of it. If I buy these in bulk I can get them for less than $300, and just need to put them together, test, install OS and burn it in a little bit. I was thinking of selling locally mostly, and might also try Ebay and local Craigslist. I was figuring on selling somewhere around $500-600. Of course keyboards and mice are very cheap, and can be included to make the deal seem better. While I know other techs in the field can do the same and get similar, if not cheaper prices - the sales wouldn't be geared towards nerds like myself!

So, if you were in the market for a new computer, and were offered to purchase locally from someone you could easily reach AFTER the purchase as well, would you be willing to buy into such a scenario?

Going to major retailers such as Best Buy, Staples, Circuit City... You'll find similar PC's selling for anywhere from $900-1800. (just as a base comparison)

glockmail
10-19-2009, 11:08 AM
My son and a friend of his were thinking of doing something similar. They're both real smart kids. I told them that they needed to figure out how to do support and suggested that they use a message board to do so, but the thing fell apart.

Jeff
10-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Jim I hear refurbished computers for sale all over the place on the CB, one place in particular is Greencastle PA, I say refurbished but they advertise new computers, so maybe they are buying in bulk and putting them together, it is a husband wife team and I hear them every time I go threw there, there prices are good , and they sell the hell out of them, they deal mostly with lap tops for the drivers but I hear them now and then selling desk tops also, they usually have 3 or 4 for sale and the next day you go by they have 3 or 4 different ones, so they are selling, I have spoken with the woman on a couple different occasions and she guarantees them, LOL, not so sure I like the guarantee when they are sold out of a van, LOL, They also sell programs, they make a killing on the GPS programs , I am a bit worried about buying them and putting them in my computer but a lot of drivers do, I also hear different drivers bragging on them , telling others what a great deal they got, so maybe it is on the up and up

I wish ya luck

OOO and by the way I need a desk top, :laugh2:

Gaffer
10-19-2009, 01:38 PM
We use to call those refurbished computers Frankenputers. Different parts from other puters to improve or enhance your system. They worked great, usually better than the brand names.

If you can get the parts cheap and afford to advertise you should be able to do okay.