PDA

View Full Version : Smart companies try to keep women happy in the workplace

chloe
10-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Smart companies try to keep women happy in the workplace

October 17th, By Paul Nelson

SALT LAKE CITY -- For the first time in U.S. history, there may soon be more women in the labor force than men. Even as more people are clamoring for jobs overall, many Utah companies are still trying to help women balance their work lives and their family lives.

Looking at numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there's a lot of speculation that women could outnumber men in the workforce as soon as this month or November.

Some business analysts say they're not surprised.

"The idea that men are the breadwinners has been changing. It's only natural that women equal, if not outnumber, the men in the workforce," says Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce Women's Business Center Program Director Lavanya Mahate.

Mahate says many people hurt by rising unemployment are men, as jobs in fields like manufacturing have dried up.

"Women have stayed steady with industries like health care and education that are more stable," she says.

Mahate says, however, companies are still holding on to "flex time" even if the economy is down. "Smart companies know now to prepare for the future where they have to keep loyal employees," she says.

She says it may be an employer's market now, but that will change soon enough, and when it does, it pays to keep employees happy.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=675&sid=8341910

I wish my company offered flex:coffee:

Kathianne
10-19-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm happy for women! They've been discriminated in many areas forever. On the other hand, turning it around and punishing men is not the way to go, IMO. Boys are entering and graduating college at diminishing numbers. Their salaries are going down, while women's are going up.

Mind you, I'm not a proponent of women in the home, barefoot and pregnant. Just saying screwing men is not in the best interest of women or children.

chloe
10-19-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm happy for women! They've been discriminated in many areas forever. On the other hand, turning it around and punishing men is not the way to go, IMO. Boys are entering and graduating college at diminishing numbers. Their salaries are going down, while women's are going up.

Mind you, I'm not a proponent of women in the home, barefoot and pregnant. Just saying screwing men is not in the best interest of women or children.

agreed !!! Frankly I liked those years when I was a housewife, but your point is good , why does it always have to go one extreme or the other?

Kathianne
10-19-2009, 07:38 PM
agreed !!! Frankly I liked those years when I was a housewife, but your point is good , why does it always have to go one extreme or the other?

I did too, while arguing and even being published in national magazines about discrimination against stay at home moms. Then I got screwed, royally. Still don't think that discriminating against males is in the best interests of our society, on many levels.

chloe
10-19-2009, 07:41 PM
I did too, while arguing and even being published in national magazines about discrimination against stay at home moms. Then I got screwed, royally. Still don't think that discriminating against males is in the best interests of our society, on many levels.

ok that made me laugh, just the irony !!!! wink.....

Kathianne
10-19-2009, 08:14 PM
ok that made me laugh, just the irony !!!! wink.....

Thanks. I too appreciate the irony. Well, sort of. ;)