PDA

View Full Version : Delta flight lands on taxiway instead of runway

Mr. P
10-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Both of these pilots should lose their job and have their license revoked!!!! There is absolutely NO excuse!!!

The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the circumstances that caused a Delta Air Lines flight from Rio de Janeiro to end on a taxiway instead of the prescribed runway at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.
More Atlanta area news »

The pilot and co-pilot have been "relieved of active flying pending the completion of the investigations," said Delta spokesman Anthony Black, "and we're cooperating with the investigations."
http://www.ajc.com/news/delta-flight-lands-on-167519.html

Little-Acorn
10-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any reason to land on a taxiway instead of a runway.

Perhaps the pilots saw some sort of obstruction on the runway, but the nature of theri medical emergency made them land immediately anyway, instead of going around and landing on a different runway?

Nothing like that was mentioned in the story, of course. I'm purely guessing here.

It's inconceivable to me that they thought they were landing on the runway, and didn't realize they wer on a taxiway until after the landing. No way, Jose.

So, there must have been some reason.

Mr. P
10-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any reason to land on a taxiway instead of a runway.

Perhaps the pilots saw some sort of obstruction on the runway, but the nature of theri medical emergency made them land immediately anyway, instead of going around and landing on a different runway?

Nothing like that was mentioned in the story, of course. I'm purely guessing here.

It's inconceivable to me that they thought they were landing on the runway, and didn't realize they wer on a taxiway until after the landing. No way, Jose.

So, there must have been some reason.

There is none. Heck with a medical emergency they would have had priority anyway to anywhere after landing.

I've landed at this airport many times and you must be brain dead to miss a runway vs a taxiway. And it was still dark, so, what color are taxiway lights? And what color are runway lights? I know you know the answer as I do. In addition, anytime you approach that airport you're assigned an ILS approach which as you know takes you right to the end of the runway.

All that taken into account is why I say pull their license.

sgtdmski
10-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Hindsight is 20/20. We do not know the situation on the plane, nor the nature of the medical emergency. In the end the plane landed safely and since there are no reports of any major medical problems, it would seem that the medical emergency had no ill affects.

After what happened on the Hudson, right now I believe that the pilots should be given the benefit of the doubt!!!

dmk

Mr. P
10-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Hindsight is 20/20. We do not know the situation on the plane, nor the nature of the medical emergency. In the end the plane landed safely and since there are no reports of any major medical problems, it would seem that the medical emergency had no ill affects.

After what happened on the Hudson, right now I believe that the pilots should be given the benefit of the doubt!!!

dmk

After 28 years of professional flying..I disagree..THERE IS NO EXCUSE for landing on a taxiway.

Noir
10-21-2009, 11:56 PM
But its not like they would of done it by mistake, there must be some reason...

sgtdmski
10-22-2009, 12:00 AM

I agree but before all the facts are presented why rush to judgement. What if what they did was necessary???

All this speculation only sets one up for controversy!

dmk

Mr. P
10-22-2009, 12:03 AM

There is no reason I've heard yet. Nor one I can imagine.

sgtdmski
10-22-2009, 12:07 AM

Is the investigation done?

Since no one was injured, we should wait until the facts are all in. What happens if what they did saved the life of someone, who looks the fool you or them???

dmk

Mr. P
10-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Is the investigation done?

Since no one was injured, we should wait until the facts are all in. What happens if what they did saved the life of someone, who looks the fool you or them???

dmk

No the investigation is not done. The runway would have provided the safest landing for all..even for someone with a "medical" emergency....period.

Landing on a taxiway may save 5 seconds to the gate but risks the live of maybe hundreds.

So, the fools should be fired and lose their license.

Noir
10-22-2009, 02:32 PM

So then why do you think he did it? For the Lulz?

Little-Acorn
10-22-2009, 02:45 PM
There is none. Heck with a medical emergency they would have had priority anyway to anywhere after landing.

Was that fact communicated to the cow or deer that wandered onto the runway when the plane was on very short final?

And the pilots saw it at 150AGL, but with the passenger bleeding to death or suffering a heart attack in the back, they made a snap decision to swing over and land on the taxiway instead of taking 5-10 minutes to go around and set up again?

I don't know there was any cow on the runway or whatever, nor do I know the nature of the medical emergency. As I said, I'm purely guessing here - trying to imagine some circumstance that would cause the pilots to deliberately land on the taxiway.

All the scenarios I can dream up, are quite a stretch. But they are not inconceivable.

We'll have to wait for the real facts to come out before anybody's ticket gets pulled.

Mr. P
10-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Was that fact communicated to the cow or deer that wandered onto the runway when the plane was on very short final?

And the pilots saw it at 150AGL, but with the passenger bleeding to death or suffering a heart attack in the back, they made a snap decision to swing over and land on the taxiway instead of taking 5-10 minutes to go around and set up again?

I don't know there was any cow on the runway or whatever, nor do I know the nature of the medical emergency. As I said, I'm purely guessing here - trying to imagine some circumstance that would cause the pilots to deliberately land on the taxiway.

All the scenarios I can dream up, are quite a stretch. But they are not inconceivable.

We'll have to wait for the real facts to come out before anybody's ticket gets pulled.

No runway hazard or obstruction has been mentioned to date. You would think if there had been something on the runway it would have been reported by now..besides that..it was still dark and anything on the runway would have remained unseen until maybe 200 feet away.

I expect the facts to be out fairly soon.

Mr. P
10-22-2009, 10:47 PM
So then why do you think he did it? For the Lulz?

They were late for happy hour.