PDA

View Full Version : CNN Poll: Half the country disagrees with Obama on issues

red states rule
10-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Is this Bush's fault? Or is Fox News to blame?

Will the Obama White House now go to war with CNN?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – For the first time since he took over in the White House, Americans don't see eye to eye with President Barack Obama on the important issues, according to a new national poll. But the CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey does indicate that a majority approve of how Obama's handling his duties as president.

According to the poll, which was released Tuesday, 48 percent of people questioned say that they agree with Obama on the issues that matter most to them, with 51 percent saying no. That's a switch from April, when 57 percent said they agreed with the president on important issues, with 41 percent disagreeing.

"Obama is facing crunch time on a number of controversial issues, from health care to financial regulation to cap and trade to Afghanistan," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "The fact that most Americans no longer agree with him on important issues makes his task harder."

Fifty-five percent of those questioned say they approve of how Obama's handling his duties, with 43 percent disapproving. The 55 percent approval rating is down 3 points from September. Most recent national polls place the president's approval rating in the low to mid 50's.

"Obama continues to do poorly among senior citizens," says Holland. "Most Americans over the age of 65 disapprove of how he is handling his job as president."

The poll also suggests that two out of three Americans say Obama has the qualities a president should have, down 12 points from April - one indication the Nobel Peace Prize may not have helped him much in that regard.

Most Americans, 56 percent, don't approve of the Norwegian Nobel Committee's decision to award the Nobel Peace Prize to Barack Obama, and only a third believe that Obama has done enough to deserve the prize. But seven in 10 are proud that a U.S. president won the prestigious award.

Sixty-five percent say they have a favorable opinion of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and 64 percent say they view first lady Michelle Obama favorably. Both women rate higher than the six in 10 questioned who view Obama in a favorable light. Forty-five percent say they have a favorable opinion of Vice President Joe Biden, 5 points higher than the four in 10 who view Biden unfavorably.

"It's not surprising that Clinton tops Barack Obama on the favorable ratings," says Holland. "Secretaries of State don't get blamed for economic problems or unpopular domestic policies, and they often don't get the same share of the blame as the commander-in-Chief for international slip-ups either. But typically, the first lady gets even better favorable ratings than the Secretary of State, so the fact that Clinton's numbers are slightly better than Michelle Obama's is a bit surprising."

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted Sunday through Thursday, with 1,038 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/10/20/cnn-poll-half-the-country-disagrees-with-obama-on-issues/

sgtdmski
10-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Well you know that according to Gibbs, CNN is not really a news agency either. From 5 PM to 9 PM they too broadcast opinion shows. Which means that in truth there is no way that they can be considered a legitimate news organization.

dmk

red states rule
10-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Well you know that according to Gibbs, CNN is not really a news agency either. From 5 PM to 9 PM they too broadcast opinion shows. Which means that in truth there is no way that they can be considered a legitimate news organization.

dmk

Of course it never occur to anyone on the left that Obama over promised and under delivered.

sgtdmski
10-21-2009, 10:44 PM
He talked a good game, telling everyone what they wanted to hear, but now is in that position where he actually has to lead, and unfortunately rhetoric does not help now it is all about action.

Obviously Obama was great at the talk, unfortunately like so many other liberals he is poor at the action. Perhaps one day they will get their act together. But Obama is no Reagan.

dmk

red states rule
10-22-2009, 05:24 AM
He talked a good game, telling everyone what they wanted to hear, but now is in that position where he actually has to lead, and unfortunately rhetoric does not help now it is all about action.

Obviously Obama was great at the talk, unfortunately like so many other liberals he is poor at the action. Perhaps one day they will get their act together. But Obama is no Reagan.

dmk

We'll see if CNN gets the same treatment FOX News is getting.

The faster Obama's poll numbers fall, the more of his policies fail to become law, the better it is for the country.

America is slowly waking up to the empty suit man child currently in the White House.

Kathianne
10-22-2009, 05:30 AM
I knew months ago that people were going to face the problem between their disagreements with issues and personal like-ability.

http://debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=371554&highlight=obama+issues+cognitive+dissonance#post37 1554

Kathianne
10-22-2009, 05:38 AM
My guess is the brouhaha over diversion on issues will not pan out for Obama:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/123806/Obama-Quarterly-Approval-Average-Slips-Nine-Points.aspx

October 21, 2009
Obama Quarterly Approval Average Slips Nine Points to 53%
Largest second- to third-quarter drop for an elected president
by Jeffrey M. Jones
PRINCETON, NJ -- In Gallup Daily tracking that spans Barack Obama's third quarter in office (July 20 through Oct. 19), the president averaged a 53% job approval rating. That is down sharply from his prior quarterly averages, which were both above 60%.

In fact, the 9-point drop in the most recent quarter is the largest Gallup has ever measured for an elected president between the second and third quarters of his term, dating back to 1953. One president who was not elected to his first term -- Harry Truman -- had a 13-point drop between his second and third quarters in office in 1945 and 1946.

The dominant political focus for Obama in the third quarter was the push for healthcare reform, including his nationally televised address to Congress in early September. Obama hoped that Congress would vote on healthcare legislation before its August recess, but that goal was missed, and some members of Congress faced angry constituents at town hall meetings to discuss healthcare reform. Meanwhile, unemployment continued to climb near 10%. The high point of Obama's third quarter may have been his winning of the Nobel Peace Prize during the quarter, which led to a noticeable but very brief bump in support.

More generally, Obama's 9-point slide between quarters ranks as one of the steepest for a president at any point in his first year in office. The highest is Truman's 19-point drop between his third and fourth quarters, followed by a 15-point drop for Gerald Ford between his first and second quarters. The largest for an elected president in his first year is Bill Clinton's 11-point slide between his first and second quarters....

red states rule
10-22-2009, 05:38 AM
I knew months ago that people were going to face the problem between their disagreements with issues and personal like-ability.

http://debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=371554&highlight=obama+issues+cognitive+dissonance#post37 1554

Lets be honest Kathianne - issues did not get Obama elected. Bumper sticker slogans, hope and change, and the full support of the liberal media did

Kathianne
10-22-2009, 05:39 AM
Lets be honest Kathianne - issues did not get Obama elected. Bumper sticker slogans, hope and change, and the full support of the liberal media did

Where was I dishonest?

red states rule
10-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Where was I dishonest?

You were not, I did not mean to say you were

What I was syaing was the voters were caught up in the "magic" of the man who would save America and the world

Now he has been seen as the rookie that he is

I hope people see how Obama is trying to bring America to her knees. They see how his polciies are wrecking the current and future potential of the economy. His inability to make a decision. And his wimpy as foreign policy

I hope people are starting to see how Obamacare, Cap and Trade, and his silly ass personal war with Fox News are bad for the nation - and all causing people to regret their vote

Perhaps they will show their buyers remorse in the 2010 midterms

Kathianne
10-22-2009, 05:47 AM
You were not, I did not mean to say you were

What I was syaing was the voters were caught up in the "magic" of the man who would save America and the world

Now he has been seen as the rookie that he is

I hope people see how Obama is trying to bring America to her knees. They see how his polciies are wrecking the current and future potential of the economy. His inability to make a decision. And his wimpy as foreign policy

I hope people are starting to see how Obamacare, Cap and Trade, and his silly ass personal war with Fox News are bad for the nation - and all causing people to regret their vote

Perhaps they will show their buyers remorse in the 2010 midterms

Glad the implied wasn't meant that way. I think unless there's a dramatic shift in what administration, they will find epic sea change in 2010.

red states rule
10-22-2009, 05:50 AM
Glad the implied wasn't meant that way. I think unless there's a dramatic shift in what administration, they will find epic sea change in 2010.

Was not implied either Kathianne. I should have been more clear in the post. You would be the last poster here to be called dishonest

You have always been a straight shooter

I do hope for the sake of country the voters give Obama a heavy does of change in 2010