PDA

View Full Version : 2 Years Of Unemployment Benefits?????

red states rule
10-21-2009, 07:51 AM
How long will the Dems want to pay people NOT to work?

When is enough enough for these people?

NYers Worry About Unemployment Benefits Coming To End

While there was talk last week of the Senate passing an unemployment benefits extension for another 22 weeks, the Senate was unable to quickly approve the measure—which means that some New Yorkers will be hit hard. The NY Times reports, "That lapse will leave about 37,000 residents of the state...without benefits this week, and will force others to contemplate applying for food stamps or other forms of welfare that they had never considered."

NY State has already extended unemployment benefits to 79 weeks, apparently the longest in state history. Not that many of the longterm unemployed want to be unemployed that long: A construction worker from Mastic told the Times that he's been looking for jobs, "I’ve been to every store at the Tanger outlet mall. I’ve been to every deli around here." While he wants his union to call him for a job, he's still number 20 on a waitlist, "If they call me in for anything, I don’t care what it is, I’ll run right there. If they tell me I got to stand on a pole and juggle, I’ll do that. I want to work."

The NY State Department of Labor has a Twitter account—most recently updating followers that no Senate vote was taken on the benefits extension—and a Facebook account, where it actually does try to answer some people's questions posted to the wall.

http://gothamist.com/2009/10/12/nyers_worry_about_unemployment_bene.php

DragonStryk72
10-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Oh lord, seriously, I could have understood the unemployment benefits to say, Katrina survivors at the time of the incident, since they wouldn't have any jobs to go back to, even if they were motivated enough to apply. Even then, though, I would have put the populace to work, getting them into as many positions as possible, doing whatever work needed to get done.

The same needs to happen here. Everywhere I look, I see want ad after want ad about jobs opening up, maybe not what they're used to getting paid, but that's not an excuse. There are perfectly good jobs out there to be had, even if you end up working two to pay the bills, it's still better to have people working.

10-21-2009, 02:29 PM
This is a really bad idea. Paying people to be out of work for two years. It's just stupid.

Noir
10-21-2009, 02:47 PM
This is a really bad idea. Paying people to be out of work for two years. It's just stupid.

That may be, and some people will abuse the system, but what about the guy in the OP?

"I’ve been to every store at the Tanger outlet mall. I’ve been to every deli around here." While he wants his union to call him for a job, he's still number 20 on a waitlist, "If they call me in for anything, I don’t care what it is, I’ll run right there. If they tell me I got to stand on a pole and juggle, I’ll do that. I want to work."

He obviously cares and is trying to get a job but simply can't, would you wish his benifits to be cut aswell?

10-21-2009, 03:01 PM
That may be, and some people will abuse the system, but what about the guy in the OP?

He obviously cares and is trying to get a job but simply can't, would you wish his benifits to be cut aswell?

Yes. Unemployment benefits do not help. If he needs to work, he needs to get more creative. He needs to be willing to do more. We all put artificial limitations on ourselves. And he needs to recognize his own and break through them.

If his family needs help, they should be helped through private charities. It's time our government, especially our state government, got out of this business.

Noir
10-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Yes. Unemployment benefits do not help. If he needs to work, he needs to get more creative. He needs to be willing to do more. We all put artificial limitations on ourselves. And he needs to recognize his own and break through them.

If his family needs help, they should be helped through private charities. It's time our government, especially our state government, got out of this business.

Jezy Crezy, no mercy eh?

All i can say is you may count yourself lucky you're not in this mans position, and to then say to him, btw you are not going to get a cent of support unless you can find a charity, is just daft.

But sure 'get out of that business' afterall why should the state care if its people can't afford to eat, its their fault, they should be more creative.

Jeff
10-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Jezy Crezy, no mercy eh?

All i can say is you may count yourself lucky you're not in this mans position, and to then say to him, btw you are not going to get a cent of support unless you can find a charity, is just daft.

But sure 'get out of that business' afterall why should the state care if its people can't afford to eat, its their fault, they should be more creative.

Noir I have not looked for work in a while so I am not sure what the job market ( if any) looks like, but I do know I moved 750 miles from my hometown years ago and wound up quitting the job I came for, I was back to work the next day, not in a job I wanted but was making a pay check just the same.

I have a 21 year old son that had a bad wreck and lost his job( He wouldn't of been able to do it anymore) When the Doc cut him loose he went out and found a job, again not the pay he wanted but he took it just the same.

I was up in NJ, I walked into the local shop rite and right there on the door was a sign HIRING FOR ALL DEPARTMENTS ALL SHIFTS, again maybe not the job ya want but if ya look there are jobs to be had

I honestly don't believe for the life of me a person can't find some kind of job in 6 months, after 2 years off of work a lot of employers wont even hire you, and yes this is true, I had surgery on my shoulder and was out for 2 and a 1/2 years and the only trouble I had finding a job was I had sat for so long, but a little bit of hustle and I was back to work within a week, again not with the company I wanted but after 3 months back to work they called

Kathianne
10-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Oh lord, seriously, I could have understood the unemployment benefits to say, Katrina survivors at the time of the incident, since they wouldn't have any jobs to go back to, even if they were motivated enough to apply. Even then, though, I would have put the populace to work, getting them into as many positions as possible, doing whatever work needed to get done.

The same needs to happen here. Everywhere I look, I see want ad after want ad about jobs opening up, maybe not what they're used to getting paid, but that's not an excuse. There are perfectly good jobs out there to be had, even if you end up working two to pay the bills, it's still better to have people working.

I know that different areas have been hit at different rates of unemployment. IL is amongst those hit 'hard.' Our unemployment rate is at 10.50. Today I passed a school bus company, hiring at $13.50 an hour + benefits. Also a local trucking company, listed salaries from $15-19.50 per hour.

Our local grocery store has signs up-under $10 per hour, but very good benefits, including health care. ;)

DragonStryk72
10-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Jezy Crezy, no mercy eh?

That's not what she's saying. The problem is that the government just throws money at it. I know, I was out of work for over a year after the Worldcom scandal hit, and it sucks horribly, but simply tossing money to these people isn't the answer. He went to the shopping center, but did he go to offices buildings, did he go to Labor Ready, Workforce, Goodwill, or any of a dozen other temp work agencies?

See, the thing with this is that Avatar is saying that the Private Charities will do a better, more efficient job of helping those people than our government will, and history bears that out.

10-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Jezy Crezy, no mercy eh?

No mercy? I dont see how making a person dependent on government is an act of mercy. Quite the opposite. I think providing actual charity is an act of mercy and encouraging him to work to support himself and his family is charity.

Noir
10-21-2009, 07:09 PM
No mercy? I dont see how making a person dependent on government is an act of mercy. Quite the opposite. I think providing actual charity is an act of mercy and encouraging him to work to support himself and his family is charity.

and what if he can't get the support of a private charity? should he, and possibly his family starve?

Kathianne
10-21-2009, 07:39 PM
and what if he can't get the support of a private charity? should he, and possibly his family starve?

How about taking work? Any work? Then when you get home sending out resumes for the jobs you desire? If not enough money is earned, yes can turn to food stamps, charity, what have you.

If you are without employment for a year, you're going to have a tough time finding any. There's 'work', just not what many think is at a high enough wage, though it probably beats unemployment.

Jeff
10-21-2009, 07:43 PM

Not at all, he should get a job, if you collect unemployment now and decide to go to school they are already extending the unemployment benefits, So if ya can't find the perfect job go to school, if ya don't want to educate yourself or take a job beneath ya, then yea starve, as for his family, his wife ought to leave him and move on, he is a loser

Noir
10-21-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm quite amazed at the lack of caring for those who are unemployed, i mean, its pretty clear that over the past year many people who were happy to work have lost their jobs through no fault of their own, and though they are trying to get back into jobs not only are there less jobs than there was before, but there are more people wanting these jobs,

Heck i'm struggling to get a job, have been trying for about a month now, and i feel pretty shit about not being able to work, i honestly can't imagin what its like for someone with a family trying to find a job somewhere and then being told btw you better get it soon or well cut any benfits, and don't worry about your wife, she will prob leave you cus you are a loser because you lost your job through no fault of your own and struggled in these harsh economic times to find and employer,

Now obviously tehre are people out there who just want to live of the state, and they must be found and punished, however applying such a broad brush to everyone is not the answer,

Trigg
10-21-2009, 08:37 PM

We all realize that you've been raised with a gov. that takes care of you cradle to grave and that's what your used to.

American's are more of a pull yourself up by your bootstraps group.

He isn't going to starve. If he's been on unemloyment this long he already qualifies for medicade (health insurance) and food stamps, if he has young children he's probably getting WIC (women infants and children). These aren't charities, they're goverment and state programs. He's able to now enroll his children in FREE government run daycare and qualifies for free school lunches for his kids, book fees are probably being waved also.

For many unemployment pays almost as well as their former job. MANY PEOPLE would rather sit on unemployment than risk getting a job and making less than they would sitting at home. See the problem??????????????????

We do need unemployment....no argument. But, 2 years is assinine.

10-21-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm quite amazed at the lack of caring for those who are unemployed, i mean, its pretty clear that over the past year many people who were happy to work have lost their jobs through no fault of their own, and though they are trying to get back into jobs not only are there less jobs than there was before, but there are more people wanting fewer jobs,

Heck i'm struggling to get a job, have been trying for about a month now, and i feel pretty shit about not being able to work, i honestly can't imagin what its like for someone with a family trying to find a job somewhere and then being told btw you better get it soon or well cut any benfits, and don't worry about your wife, she will prob leave you cus you are a loser because you lost your job through no fault of your own and struggled in these harsh economic times to find and employer,

I am shocked that you seem to think that making people dependent on government is somehow compassionate.

Kathianne
10-21-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm quite amazed at the lack of caring for those who are unemployed, i mean, its pretty clear that over the past year many people who were happy to work have lost their jobs through no fault of their own, and though they are trying to get back into jobs not only are there less jobs than there was before, but there are more people wanting these jobs,

Now obviously tehre are people out there who just want to live of the state, and they must be found and punished, however applying such a broad brush to everyone is not the answer,

I am sorry you are without a job. I will say I've never been there, at least unintentionally. However, when necessary I've been a waitress. I've worked in the fish department of a grocery. I've babysat and cleaned homes. I worked in a bakery from 11 am-7 am. I've 4 degrees and those jobs were before my full-time teaching gig, but I'd do it again, if necessary. Heck over the summer I worked selling hot dogs from a cart, in order to pay my bills.

If I lose my job, I'll take what I can, while trying to find another good position. I wouldn't sit home and wait for a comparable position, but take whatever would get me by until I could land the better.

Noir
10-21-2009, 08:48 PM
I am shocked that you seem to think that making people dependent on government is somehow compassionate.

I'm not saying make people dependant, like i said, they should be found and removed from the system, but surly you know that tehre are people out of work in your country today who would be in work tomorrow if they could be, to assume that everyone unemployed is happy enough to live of the state is pretty prejudice methinks.

Kathianne
10-21-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm not saying make people dependant, like i said, they should be found and removed from the system, but surly you know that tehre are people out of work in your country today who would be in work tomorrow if they could be, to assume that everyone unemployed is happy enough to live of the state is pretty prejudice methinks.

Here's where we differ. I'm all for folks making enough to keep up with their payments, for a specified length of time. However, there are jobs out there, just perhaps not the ones some would prefer. On the other hand, want to prove to an employer you'll work? Come what may? Best way is with a job, some job, while looking. I've not a problem if for a year or year and a half, there's supplements to keep one from going bankrupt while looking, but c'mon man, be productive.

Trigg
10-21-2009, 08:55 PM

There are 300 million people in this country and that's not counting the 11 million here illegally, it's much easier to work the system here than you can even imagine. It's almost impossible to police a system as big as ours.

Of course many of the people on unemployment are looking for work. But there are just as many happy to sit on unemployment until the benefits run out because they risk getting a job that pays LESS than if they sit on benefits.

My mother in law sat on unemployment for 4 months, she didn't look for work. She sat hoping she'd be rehired, she didn't want another job because benefits were paying 70% of her former pay. In the end she was rehired before her benefits ran out. She's a hard working woman and I adore her....what she did isn't unusual. The longer you pay people to sit around........the longer they'll be happy to sit around and NOT LOOK FOR WORK.

Noir
10-21-2009, 09:02 PM
I am sorry you are without a job. I will say I've never been there, at least unintentionally. However, when necessary I've been a waitress. I've worked in the fish department of a grocery. I've babysat and cleaned homes. I worked in a bakery from 11 am-7 am. I've 4 degrees and those jobs were before my full-time teaching gig, but I'd do it again, if necessary. Heck over the summer I worked selling hot dogs from a cart, in order to pay my bills.

If I lose my job, I'll take what I can, while trying to find another good position. I wouldn't sit home and wait for a comparable position, but take whatever would get me by until I could land the better.

Yups, this is the first time in 4 years i've been without a job, tough seriously i've got no mission, I've signed up to two job seeker agencies, i've been to call centres, fast food outlets, high street shops, i even applied to a kids playgroup (and i hate kids lol) I know i've got a good CV and interviews are fine, its just all the older folks that are job-blocking me =/

As i said, i know how bad i feel about it, gawd knows what i would feel like if i thought i was letting my wife and kids down while problems like a bills to pay and mouths to feed,

Kathianne
10-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Yups, this is the first time in 4 years i've been without a job, tough seriously i've got no mission, I've signed up to two job seeker agencies, i've been to call centres, fast food outlets, high street shops, i even applied to a kids playgroup (and i hate kids lol) I know i've got a good CV and interviews are fine, its just all the older folks that are job-blocking me =/

As i said, i know how bad i feel about it, gawd knows what i would feel like if i thought i was letting my wife and kids down while problems like a bills to pay and mouths to feed,

Then I feel for you. It may well be tougher in EU than here, I've no doubt if you say so. Here there are jobs, just ones that make it difficult for someone used to bringing in 50k or more to take a $15 an hour job. I do understand that, been there and done that, as I said.

On the other hand, if you are actively seeking and doing the interviews, document it. Many aren't and any smart employer wants a person that is willing to work, while trying to find a career position.

Noir
10-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Then I feel for you. It may well be tougher in EU than here, I've no doubt if you say so. Here there are jobs, just ones that make it difficult for someone used to bringing in 50k or more to take a $15 an hour job. I do understand that, been there and done that, as I said.

On the other hand, if you are actively seeking and doing the interviews, document it. Many aren't and any smart employer wants a person that is willing to work, while trying to find a career position.

But what about the guy in the OP, who is also talking abbout going from shop to shop and deli to deli and not finding any work, you think his benifits should be cut?

Kathianne
10-21-2009, 09:18 PM
But what about the guy in the OP, who is also talking abbout going from shop to shop and deli to deli and not finding any work, you think his benifits should be cut?

If over a year, yeah. He should do something, just saying you go place to place doesn't make it so. Especially if you haven't shown up looking like someone to hire. This economy sucks, no doubt on that. But not being able to land 'something?' Nope, not happening. I've 3 kids under 28, all have found jobs this year, all over $20k, one over 40k. That is with no experience, other than part time jobs, while in school.

Noir
10-21-2009, 09:18 PM
There are 300 million people in this country and that's not counting the 11 million here illegally, it's much easier to work the system here than you can even imagine. It's almost impossible to police a system as big as ours.

Of course many of the people on unemployment are looking for work. But there are just as many happy to sit on unemployment until the benefits run out because they risk getting a job that pays LESS than if they sit on benefits.

My mother in law sat on unemployment for 4 months, she didn't look for work. She sat hoping she'd be rehired, she didn't want another job because benefits were paying 70% of her former pay. In the end she was rehired before her benefits ran out. She's a hard working woman and I adore her....what she did isn't unusual. The longer you pay people to sit around........the longer they'll be happy to sit around and NOT LOOK FOR WORK.

So because the system is so big just take a sledge hammer to it?
If a system is too big then micro-manage it, devolve powers to states, or to local authorities to manage benifit claimants, will it be perfect? Ofcourse it won't, but is it better than pulling the rug from under the feet of many americans who are currently trapped through no fault of their own.

Noir
10-21-2009, 09:23 PM
If over a year, yeah. He should do something, just saying you go place to place doesn't make it so. Especially if you haven't shown up looking like someone to hire. This economy sucks, no doubt on that. But not being able to land 'something?' Nope, not happening. I've 3 kids under 28, all have found jobs this year, all over $20k, one over 40k. That is with no experience, other than part time jobs, while in school.

But thats what i'm talking about, i know what its liek to be going from shop to shop and interview to interview and not getting anything, i can only hope that something comes up soon, but to think that if someone heard my story and thought to themselves 'oh my son can get a job why can't he, he mustn't have shown up as someone to hire' ect ect would annoy me greatly, and i don't see how you can make those statements about the man in the OP

Jeff
10-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Noir I am sorry ya don't have a job, but I am sure something will come up, but if you did have a family that you had to support, wouldn't you take any job that came along ? I worked in a car wash, only for a day but I had to work, there are jobs to be had, some not good but ya do what ya have to until something better comes along

Good luck with the Job hunt, I hope something comes your way soon

Noir
10-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Noir I am sorry ya don't have a job, but I am sure something will come up, but if you did have a family that you had to support, wouldn't you take any job that came along ? I worked in a car wash, only for a day but I had to work, there are jobs to be had, some not good but ya do what ya have to until something better comes along

Good luck with the Job hunt, I hope something comes your way soon

But i will work any job that comes alone now, they just arn't coming along, my plan was to get a crap job quick and then when in that to look for a better job, but it seems that even getting the crap fast-food and shelf-packer jobs just won't happen,

and cheers =)

Joyful HoneyBee
10-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Interestingly enough, it has been during tough economic times that some of the most innovative advances have been made in society. It falls into the necessity being the mother of invention criteria. If people need to EARN money, they will find a way to do so.

I agree with the fact that it is easier to find a job if you have a job already. Employers want to see that the people they are going to invest in have some substance to them. If that means taking orders at a drive through window for the short term, then so be it.

There are legitimate freelance sites on the web for persons with specialized skills. I have earned some tidy little sums on a few special projects, mostly creative writing work, and that could be a lucrative way to finance life until full time work comes along...in fact, it could actually become a full time career for someone aggressive enough to pursue it properly.

Noir, write to me about special skills you may be able to contract out for earnings and I can try to point you to some potential sites.

red states rule
10-21-2009, 10:15 PM
I have this article saved in my favorites for occasions like this

9 Trillion Didn't End Poverty -- What to Do?
by Jenifer Zeigler

Jenifer Zeigler is a welfare policy analyst at the Cato Institute.
Added to cato.org on September 3, 2004

This article appeared on Foxnews.com on September 1, 2004.

At the Republican National Convention this week, there was a lot of talk about money. Pay raises for firefighters. Money for Swift Boat ads. Money to rebuild Iraq, and so on. One thing the pundits and presidential candidates didn't say much about, however, is how much money has been spent fighting the "war on poverty"--$9 trillion and counting. Yes, $9 trillion.

Yet, as the Census Bureau just reported, poverty in America is up. So what do the candidates propose we do?

Well, one candidate believes the solution is to spend more money on social programs, while the other believes the solution is to spend more money on ... social programs. Since 2000, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (the traditional welfare program) spending has increased 6 percent. What did we get for that money? A higher poverty rate. Obviously a stagnant economy and poor job market are responsible for the increase in those living below the poverty line. However, spending more money on social programs is not raising them back out of poverty.

The best way to reduce the poverty rate is to convince people to avoid poverty in the first place by finishing school, delaying parenthood, and getting a job (any job). High school dropouts are roughly three times more likely to end up in poverty than are those who complete at least a high school education. A common reason why teens drop out of high school is out-of-wedlock births. Teenage pregnancy initiates a single mother into a life of dependency that is difficult to overcome, especially if she goes on to have additional children. Over half of welfare money is spent on families that began with a teen birth.

Getting a job as a solution to poverty may seem like common sense. Granted, not every job pays a wage that will catapult a family into the middle class. However, every job provides job experience, and that leads to a better job. Maybe today's minimum-wage, service industry employee is not on a track for management. But he is showing that he is a reliable worker who can learn and perform duties, something a future employer will value.

Despite all this common sense, Democrats refuse to endorse welfare reform that would emphasize actual work experience. They would spend money to send single moms to college or train them in a specific skill for which there may be no demand in the job market. Republicans are not doing much better by encouraging social spending on programs like marriage initiatives, suggesting that coupling off the poor will somehow raise them out of poverty. In the past 40 years, we have spent at least $8.9 trillion (in constant 2003 dollars) on the "war on poverty." Isn't it time that one of the candidates admit we cannot spend our way out of poverty?

If education, pregnancy prevention, and employment are the solutions to poverty, we need a candidate that advocates policies that promote them. Education reform, including school choice, would provide a real opportunity for children to start on an equal playing field, prevent "at risk" students from dropping out, and produce a more competitive national workforce. Pregnancy prevention programs need to educate teenagers about how to avoid pregnancy, as well as emphasize the life-altering repercussion of parenthood as a minor. Finally, job growth results from a dynamic economy. Lower taxes, less regulation on business and industry, and freer trade would produce the jobs necessary to escape the bonds of poverty.

So, listen this campaign season as candidates offer their solution to the rise in poverty. Be wary of promises to throw more money at the problem. That clearly doesn't work

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=2807

sgtdmski
10-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Here is a novel idea, instead of sitting at home and looking for bullshit jobs to tide you over until construction comes along, take advantage and go back to school and learn something new.

I am a travelling lab tech and with all the uncertainty in the medical field thanks to the great national healthcare debate, I am taking the time to learn a new trade.

Living in Alaska there is a need for taxidermy and that is what I am trying to learn right now, as a matter of fact I am living off of the crafts that I create right now including selling photos and making deer calls. That is right, deer calls, for each one I make I earn around $12. I am currently making between 10 and 15 a day, that is more than I need to live.

With taxidermy I can make a lot more and I am looking forward to learning the trade and establishing myself.

dmk

red states rule
10-22-2009, 05:34 AM
What gets me is the libs are ignoring who is paying for these never ending benefits? Do they think the money is pulled out of thin air?

It is paid by employers who are trying to stay in business so one day they can hire more workers

DragonStryk72
10-22-2009, 10:24 AM

So there is no work to be had anywhere in the all the world? That's funny, I've been on interviews recently. Yes, sometimes, people will need to do this thing where they make a permanent change of residence if they want to be able to continue supporting their family. I believe it's called moving. And btw, if there is no work anywhere in the world, it means we're all dead, so I don't think they'll foreclose on the house.

DragonStryk72
10-22-2009, 10:32 AM
But thats what i'm talking about, i know what its liek to be going from shop to shop and interview to interview and not getting anything, i can only hope that something comes up soon, but to think that if someone heard my story and thought to themselves 'oh my son can get a job why can't he, he mustn't have shown up as someone to hire' ect ect would annoy me greatly, and i don't see how you can make those statements about the man in the OP

The man in the OP went to one shopping mall. That's all the jobs in the world? That's it, he couldn't get work at the Orange Julius, so he needs to be on unemployment for 2 yrs.?

It's not fixing the problem, this is what people are trying to get through to you, and you keep skipping over. I've given over rooms of my home to my friends who have needed help. It wasn't wonderful, but I try to take care of the people I care about. The difference there is that I can set terms to it, unlike the government, who essentially hands you money and hopes that it works out.

Jeff
10-22-2009, 11:06 AM
But i will work any job that comes alone now, they just arn't coming along, my plan was to get a crap job quick and then when in that to look for a better job, but it seems that even getting the crap fast-food and shelf-packer jobs just won't happen,

and cheers =)

Don't give up hope Noir it will come to ya :thumb:

10-22-2009, 12:16 PM

and cheers =)

Jobs dont come along. You need to go out there and grab life by the balls and hunt for jobs.

I was unable to find work after i finished school about 2 years ago. I applied at a number of firms. I talked to various government entities. After all my work i ended up getting only one interview and despite being one of the top candidates, i didnt get the slot. So I decided I would just start my own firm.

In the process of looking up information on how to do that, I ended up finding my current job. I dont particularly like my current job. But its great experience. Good benefits. And i have alot of free time to look into other avenues of employment or still open my own firm.

The thing is, you can't be passive. Because if you wait for life to just hand you everything you want, you will end up dying the same place you started.

Kathianne
10-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Don't give up hope Noir it will come to ya :thumb:

Actually that's just it, rarely do things just 'come to you.' You have to go to them and let everyone you know let you know if they hear of anything.

Noir
10-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Dear blesses allot of posts to reply to, and so in order...

So there is no work to be had anywhere in the all the world? That's funny, I've been on interviews recently. Yes, sometimes, people will need to do this thing where they make a permanent change of residence if they want to be able to continue supporting their family. I believe it's called moving. And btw, if there is no work anywhere in the world, it means we're all dead, so I don't think they'll foreclose on the house.

No ofcourse there are jobs, and fair enough some can move, but how many people do you really think can afford to sell there house, move to a new city or state and then get a new morgage on another house, while unemployed, in the current financial climate?

Noir
10-22-2009, 02:15 PM
The man in the OP went to one shopping mall. That's all the jobs in the world? That's it, he couldn't get work at the Orange Julius, so he needs to be on unemployment for 2 yrs.?

It's not fixing the problem, this is what people are trying to get through to you, and you keep skipping over. I've given over rooms of my home to my friends who have needed help. It wasn't wonderful, but I try to take care of the people I care about. The difference there is that I can set terms to it, unlike the government, who essentially hands you money and hopes that it works out.

Well as is mentioned he's been around his local area trying to find a job, and he's working with his union (i don't understand how exactly that works but i assume they act as a job seeker) could he do more? Maybe...could he do less? ofcourse he could,

Again i don't know how your system of job-seeker benifits works, however over here you have to prove that you are proactive in looking for a job and getting interviews and placements, if your system just gives the money and hopes then maybe the system management should be reviewed, but it should not be abolished.

Noir
10-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Jobs dont come along. You need to go out there and grab life by the balls and hunt for jobs.

I was unable to find work after i finished school about 2 years ago. I applied at a number of firms. I talked to various government entities. After all my work i ended up getting only one interview and despite being one of the top candidates, i didnt get the slot. So I decided I would just start my own firm.

In the process of looking up information on how to do that, I ended up finding my current job. I dont particularly like my current job. But its great experience. Good benefits. And i have alot of free time to look into other avenues of employment or still open my own firm.

The thing is, you can't be passive. Because if you wait for life to just hand you everything you want, you will end up dying the same place you started.

I used the pharse "come along" in reference to jeffs post "but if you did have a family that you had to support, wouldn't you take any job that came along" i know that jobs don't just come along but its a figure of speech.

Fair play, and i guess it worked out kinda well for you, now over those two years how did you support yourself? Ever use goverment aid?

And i concur you can't be passive you must be proactive.

red states rule
10-23-2009, 06:21 AM
http://media.washingtontimes.com/media/img/photos/2009/10/22/varv10222009_t756.jpg?362c89b9f4298c1f7d888d4fceb4 6698f5dfcc26

Well, some people thought Obama would as well

cat slave
10-23-2009, 11:02 PM

The word "enabling" comes to mind!

Trigg
10-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Well as is mentioned he's been around his local area trying to find a job, and he's working with his union (i don't understand how exactly that works but i assume they act as a job seeker) could he do more? Maybe...could he do less? ofcourse he could,

Again i don't know how your system of job-seeker benifits works, however over here you have to prove that you are proactive in looking for a job and getting interviews and placements, if your system just gives the money and hopes then maybe the system management should be reviewed, but it should not be abolished.

Basically you fill out a paper saying you applied at Pizza Hut (for example). You don't have to write down who you spoke to, and they don't check. It's easy enough to just write down names and not do any actual job seeking.

No one here has said unemployment should be abolished....at least I don't think so. What we're saying is paying someone to sit on their sofa for 2 years is asinine. People will only search if they KNOW there is an end coming. Otherwise they'll sit on their ass and let the government pay them.