PDA

View Full Version : Emmett's Quick Response Saves Two Lives

Joyful HoneyBee
10-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Emmett has been terribly busy lately, but this time last week, October 14th, he couldn't have been in a more right place at a more right time. He was outside his office, finishing up some repo work, when he heard a terrible noise - screeching tires followed by a horrible crash. A terrible auto accident had just occurred, with the impact taking place exactly in front of the driveway leading to his office. The road surface was still very wet from heavy rainfall that had gone on for the previous couple of days. Emmett ran to the street to find a Mustang on top of the ditch lying on its passenger side with the door flung open and two teenage boys lying with their heads submerged in the water and mud of the ditch. He acted quickly and got into the ditch, lifting the heads of both boys out of the water to prevent them from drowning. The larger boy was on top of the smaller one, requiring him to use his hands and his feet to keep them out of the water. A nurse joined him in the ditch and assisted in keeping their heads above water until EMS and rescue personnel arrived on the scene a few moments later. In the meantime, he noticed that one of the boys had a very bad head wound that was bleeding profusely. He also had a large wound on his cheek, but the one on the forehead was of most immediate concern. Emmett took off his shirt and used it to make a compress, tying the sleeves around the young man's head to slow the blood loss. Within five or six minutes, he and the nurse were joined by emergency personnel and the boys were transported to the hospital.

The article about this incident is here:
http://www.jacksonheraldtoday.com/archives/2598-One-JHS-student-still-in-hospital-following-Wed.-wreck.html#c3914

It is easy to pick Emmett out in the photo since he is the only one on the scene with no shirt. He stayed until he was no longer needed, then spent time with the other driver who had had to watch emergency personnel cart his grandmother off to the hospital. Emmett stayed with him until he got the news that his grandmother appeared to be okay, albeit sore and shook up. Apparently, since then she has become sick and had to return to the hospital. The young man, Joey, was, amazingly enough, unharmed.

We all know Emmett as a friend here on DP, and we are aware of his quick wit, his sage understanding of issues, his concern for fairness and his ability to moderate all us unruly DP'ers as required. But, I really wanted everyone to know about his ability to step in and attend to those things that most of us have neither the presence of mind nor the composure to handle. He is very humble about the whole thing and is just very grateful that the events of the day led him to be where he needed to be at the exact time he needed to be there. Mostly, he is grateful that those young boys didn't lose their lives in that ditch.

Mods, if I have put this in the wrong place I trust you to fix it for me....

chesswarsnow
10-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Nice going Emmit!!!!
2. You're a hero now, wow dude, your tha man!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Noir
10-21-2009, 07:13 PM
:salute:

Kathianne
10-21-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm not surprised. Emmett is the type of man that would go to the aid, competently, of anyone in distress. It's one of the things I really admire about him. Kudos, Emmett!

chloe
10-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Way to go Emmett !!!:thumb:

Jeff
10-21-2009, 07:49 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

My hats off to you Emmett :thumb:

Wish there were more like you on this earth!!!!

Gaffer
10-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Good work. :salute:

stephanie
10-21-2009, 09:35 PM
wow..

good save dear..you always were a hero to me and there you were in the right place at the right time......:clap:

sgtdmski
10-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Way to go Emmett. Often times we find the right people in the right place at the right time, but far too often they fail to act. Thank you for having the courage to do what was right when you were in the position.!!!!!

emmett
10-27-2009, 03:17 AM
You are all too kind....fact is I did whatever anyone in the situation I was in would do.

Thank You for the kind words.

I have been busy of recent as is clear by my absence. To those who have sent Pm's and text messages to inquire, thank you. All is well, I have just been balls to the wall at work (over 80 hours week), I also just moved(in with Joyful Honey Bee but don't tell anyone) and have been very busy with a book.

Hope to interact more soon.

NightTrain
10-27-2009, 03:38 AM
Attaboy, Emmett!

Be sure you give Honeybee a big smoooooooooooooooch!

red states rule
10-27-2009, 06:05 AM
You are all too kind....fact is I did whatever anyone in the situation I was in would do.

Thank You for the kind words.

I have been busy of recent as is clear by my absence. To those who have sent Pm's and text messages to inquire, thank you. All is well, I have just been balls to the wall at work (over 80 hours week), I also just moved(in with Joyful Honey Bee but don't tell anyone) and have been very busy with a book.

Hope to interact more soon.

Good job Emmett. Hurry back soon

PostmodernProphet
10-27-2009, 07:02 AM
/flagwaving....