PDA

View Full Version : parenting section

Trigg
10-23-2009, 07:33 PM
I think we need a parenting section so those of us that have teenagers can get advice from the people who have gone through those years.

HELP..........SERIOUSLY...........HELP

I'm going crazy over here.

Kathianne
10-23-2009, 07:47 PM
I think we need a parenting section so those of us that have teenagers can get advice from the people who have gone through those years.

Ok, dump here!

Mr. P
10-23-2009, 10:28 PM

Good news, Bad news...

Good News: They grow up.

Bad News: It get's worse first..and then ya want em back.

Ok, wanting them back may be a stretch..:laugh2:

Noir
10-24-2009, 06:47 AM
I had a teenager, gawd it was hard work, so we split, if only there were a DP section for dealing with them maybes we wouldn't of :p

PostmodernProphet
10-24-2009, 06:58 AM
surrender now, it will save you time....

Kathianne
10-24-2009, 07:52 AM

Some days are worse than others, luckily one remembers the best of times, few of the worst! :beer:

Trigg
10-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Some days are worse than others, luckily one remembers the best of times, few of the worst! :beer:

My mother tells me the same thing. I'm sure when my daughter grows up a little she'll realize I'm not as out of touch and ignorant as she thinks I am.

Trigg
10-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Good news, Bad news...

Good News: They grow up.

Bad News: It get's worse first..and then ya want em back.

Ok, wanting them back may be a stretch..:laugh2:

I've heard that the authorities get upset if you lock them in a closet until they turn 18. :laugh2: But, some days that seems like a great idea.

Kathianne
10-25-2009, 12:37 AM
My mother tells me the same thing. I'm sure when my daughter grows up a little she'll realize I'm not as out of touch and ignorant as she thinks I am.

Ah we were talking about this in class the other day, we 'buddy up' with first graders. One of 'my kids' was talking about how his buddy told him his dad was the 'smartest' dad in the world. The kids were laughing, (first graders were gone).

I asked them if they didn't remember when they thought there parents knew just about everything and could always keep them safe? They did. They still pretty much trust their parents on the safety things. ;) I think the 'know everything,' tends to fall apart around 4th grade, when most college educated parents find the 'new math', beyond their ken. They also openly love them for the most part, though maybe more to 'others' than to their parents? Now high school...those are tricky years, especially it seems for girls.

Parents get a lot 'dumber.' I remember though about my jr. year of college, suddenly my parents got 'smart' again. :laugh2: By the time I had my daughter, damn they were just freaking geniuses. Really. :beer:

chloe
10-29-2009, 07:17 PM

I don't know what to do either, my kids are so opposite of each other and then they try to put me in the middle of there arguements.

hjmick
10-29-2009, 09:32 PM
I don't like children. I understand why some species eat their young. My kids are lucky to be alive.

:D

Kathianne
10-30-2009, 05:35 AM
I don't like children. I understand why some species eat their young. My kids are lucky to be alive.

:D

There are days! :laugh2: Reminds me of yesterday, the 2nd grade teacher was walking her class down the hall, they were being real noisy, which is the reason I stepped out of my class. She mouths, "I hate them!" One of the little ones, said, "I saw that!" She laughed and threw her arms around Mrs. S. I nearly lost it, instead said in my 'big teacher voice,' "Excuse me! My students are working and you are being disrespectful." Silence. Yeah, I can be scary. One boy said, "Sorry." She got them to the library, pronto.

gabosaurus
10-30-2009, 11:28 AM

I don't have a teenage child of my own yet. But, as a secondary school counselor, I deal with troubled teens every day.
If you have problems, feel free to post them or PM me. If I don't have an answer, I will consult with one of my more experienced colleagues. :D

Trigg
10-30-2009, 01:19 PM
I don't have a teenage child of my own yet. But, as a secondary school counselor, I deal with troubled teens every day.
If you have problems, feel free to post them or PM me. If I don't have an answer, I will consult with one of my more experienced colleagues. :D

Well thanks gabby.......

Honestly it's just 13 year old girl issues, she drives me up the wall some days.

Kathianne
10-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Well thanks gabby.......

Honestly it's just 13 year old girl issues, she drives me up the wall some days.

Just the age I teach. Trigg, my guess is that her teachers, friends, other adults find her delightful. I'm guessing by 'knowing' her mom. At the same time, if she's going to 'lash out, be oppositional, or just try pushing the envelope', guess who she'll play that on? Yep, the one she knows loves her.

Here's the tricky part, many girls this age start pushing mom, even family back a bit. Really hurts if you've been close. Yet, she doesn't need you to start being her 'friend,' when she pushes 'too far,' remember she's trying to find and firm up these 'new adult-lite' boundaries. She needs her parents, not being marines, but not being 'her buddies' either. It's a fine line.

Trigg
10-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Just the age I teach. Trigg, my guess is that her teachers, friends, other adults find her delightful. I'm guessing by 'knowing' her mom. At the same time, if she's going to 'lash out, be oppositional, or just try pushing the envelope', guess who she'll play that on? Yep, the one she knows loves her.

Here's the tricky part, many girls this age start pushing mom, even family back a bit. Really hurts if you've been close. Yet, she doesn't need you to start being her 'friend,' when she pushes 'too far,' remember she's trying to find and firm up these 'new adult-lite' boundaries. She needs her parents, not being marines, but not being 'her buddies' either. It's a fine line.

That is almost the perfect discription of my daughter. Her teachers love her because she's smart and doesn't get into trouble, they excuse her, somtimes, loud behavior because she jokes around with them.

She's one of those kids who if you give them an inch they try to take a mile, she continuously tries to see how far she can go. Fortunately her dad and I are on the same page when it comes to discipline and we keep her (pretty much) on the straight and narrow.

She's a great kid and a lot of fun, sarcastic as all get out sometimes. Like I said, 13 year old girl stuff, but it can drive a person crazy. :laugh2:

Kathianne
10-30-2009, 07:16 PM
That is almost the perfect discription of my daughter. Her teachers love her because she's smart and doesn't get into trouble, they excuse her, somtimes, loud behavior because she jokes around with them.

She's one of those kids who if you give them an inch they try to take a mile, she continuously tries to see how far she can go. Fortunately her dad and I are on the same page when it comes to discipline and we keep her (pretty much) on the straight and narrow.

She's a great kid and a lot of fun, sarcastic as all get out sometimes. Like I said, 13 year old girl stuff, but it can drive a person crazy. :laugh2:

Indeed! Girl, I hear you! I'm certain I have 9 examples of daughters in my class that could be your daughter, out of 12 girls. They are great with me, so are the other 4, but those 4 are also 'great' for their parents, well according to their parents. In fairness to those parents, those girls really aren't 'matured'. Meaning they are under 100lbs, and undeveloped. Truly, I think we may have been lucky not to have to go through puberty in high school!

I had a middle school/high school daughter, they are tough. Yet, for teachers, most are wonderful for them and other adults. Boys are way more challenging of authority in high school, if you have some of them, get ready. Seems there is something with girls that need to first cut the ties, while making them with other 'adults', then they come back. Boys? Seems to come later, less dramatic. Then they go about their business, never quite returning to the earlier ties in the same way.

I guess that is why there is that old adage, "A daughter is your daughter for the rest of your life; a son is your son til he takes him a wife."

These breaks happen over time from 11-18.

Trigg
10-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Indeed! Girl, I hear you! I'm certain I have 9 examples of daughters in my class that could be your daughter, out of 12 girls. They are great with me, so are the other 4, but those 4 are also 'great' for their parents, well according to their parents. In fairness to those parents, those girls really aren't 'matured'. Meaning they are under 100lbs, and undeveloped. Truly, I think we may have been lucky not to have to go through puberty in high school!

I had a middle school/high school daughter, they are tough. Yet, for teachers, most are wonderful for them and other adults. Boys are way more challenging of authority in high school, if you have some of them, get ready. Seems there is something with girls that need to first cut the ties, while making them with other 'adults', then they come back. Boys? Seems to come later, less dramatic. Then they go about their business, never quite returning to the earlier ties in the same way.

I guess that is why there is that old adage, "A daughter is your daughter for the rest of your life; a son is your son til he takes him a wife."

These breaks happen over time from 11-18.

It's funny, my oldest son is a Junior this year and has always been easy. The worst was when he was in the eighth grade and everything was "boring", lasted about 6 months and he went back to his old self.

So far I'd say boys are easier, I have two more younger boys to raise so we'll see how they do.

Kathianne
10-30-2009, 08:15 PM
It's funny, my oldest son is a Junior this year and has always been easy. The worst was when he was in the eighth grade and everything was "boring", lasted about 6 months and he went back to his old self.

So far I'd say boys are easier, I have two more younger boys to raise so we'll see how they do.

I'll agree with boys being 'easier,' at least with the heart. Girls are vicious, but 'moms' know that. ;) The boys aren't as cruel/direct. They say what we want to hear in most cases. Yet, the ties they cut, are cut. Not so much with the girls, there is a lot of give, as they mature.

chloe
10-30-2009, 08:19 PM
I only have girls and they are very funny and smart.....but also very emotional and dramatic....

Agnapostate
10-31-2009, 01:25 AM
Parents get a lot 'dumber.' I remember though about my jr. year of college, suddenly my parents got 'smart' again. :laugh2: By the time I had my daughter, damn they were just freaking geniuses. Really. :beer:

And is that because of legitimate maturation or because of a perspective acquired from conditions outside of hierarchical parental influence, regardless of maturation? People who regurgitate Twain's quote (or the quote attributed to him, I should say) seem to believe that we see our parents in a different light in later life because we've matured and can now understand them, but I'm inclined to think that it's because we're no longer subject to such rigidly hierarchical conditions that we perceive as condescending (i.e. we're living our own lives). A parallel that I would point to is students who later go back to their schools as teachers. When they find the administrators more respectful and generally decent people, is this because they've "matured" or because the nature of their relationship with the administrators has changed?