PDA

View Full Version : Murder charge dropped against 1 Marine in Haditha killings

LiberalNation
04-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Good for him bad for the others still facing charges.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070417/ap_on_re_us/marines_iraq_shooting

LOS ANGELES - The Marines Corps said Tuesday it had dropped all charges against a sergeant in exchange for his testimony against fellow Marines accused of killing 24 civilians in Haditha, the deadliest criminal case to arise from the Iraq war.

Sgt. Sanick P. Dela Cruz had been charged with unpremeditated murder in the death of five Iraq civilians.

Lt. Gen. James Mattis, who announced the deal Tuesday, said the charges against Dela Cruz had been dismissed April 2. Dela Cruz was given immunity in exchange for his testimony, the Marines said.

"Dela Cruz is required to testify," Marine spokesman Lt. Col. Sean Gibson said.

The Marine squad had suffered a fatality on Nov. 19, 2005, when its convoy was rocked by a roadside bomb blast. In the aftermath of the explosion, the troops are accused of killing 24 Iraqis in Haditha.

Four enlisted Marines were charged with unpremeditated murder, and four officers were charged with failing to adequately report the deaths.

Aside from the murder charge, Dela Cruz faced one charge of making a false official statement with intent to deceive. He faced a possible life sentence, dishonorable discharge, dismissal and forfeiture of pay.

Dela Cruz, 24, is the first Marine to make a deal with the government in the case. His testimony will likely form a vital part of the prosecution's case.

The Marine Corps announced the charges in December, but there have been no preliminary hearings and no court dates have been finalized. What would have been the first hearing in the case, for another Marine accused of murder, was recently delayed at the government's request.

Gunny
04-17-2007, 11:16 PM
This is bullshit. If he's guilty, he needs to fry with the rest of them.

Samantha
04-17-2007, 11:32 PM
I hope it's worth it, to let a murderer go free so they can have enough evidence against the rest of them. Those assholes put a big black mark on our brave military's name.

Gunny
04-17-2007, 11:40 PM
I hope it's worth it, to let a murderer go free so they can have enough evidence against the rest of them. Those assholes put a big black mark on our brave military's name.

I actually agree with you. I have no tolerance for those who violate the laws of war.

If what was reported was true, these rogue agents acting outside the confines of military law and the laws of war, executed unarmed civilians.

I'm just wondering how weak the case is if they have to offer immunity to one of them.

Samantha
04-17-2007, 11:49 PM
I actually agree with you. I have no tolerance for those who violate the laws of war.

If what was reported was true, these rogue agents acting outside the confines of military law and the laws of war, executed unarmed civilians.

I'm just wondering how weak the case is if they have to offer immunity to one of them.
I know for a fact that our troops are honorable and brave. When a few psycho killers damage our military's name and our country's name the way these guys and some others did, I'd like to see the strong arm of the law slam down upon them. I am glad you agree with me about those who violate military law.

I know you don't agree with me on this, but when the people who've been elected to the White House break our countries laws, I'd like to see the strong arm of the law slam down on them too.

If they don't stack the courts with cronies first...

Anyway, this is a depressing story and those soldiers have our country's damaged honor on their hands, as well as the blood of innocent civilians.

I'd like to see the military put our men through some extra training on civilian safety.

Gunny
04-17-2007, 11:55 PM
I know for a fact that our troops are honorable and brave. When a few psycho killers damage our military's name and our country's name the way these guys and some others did, I'd like to see the strong arm of the law slam down upon them. I am glad you agree with me about those who violate military law.

I know you don't agree with me on this, but when the people who've been elected to the White House break our countries laws, I'd like to see the strong arm of the law slam down on them too.

If they don't stack the courts with cronies first...

Anyway, this is a depressing story and those soldiers have our country's damaged honor on their hands, as well as the blood of innocent civilians.

I'd like to see the military put our men through some extra training on civilian safety.

The military is trained in noncombatant safety to the point that they violate the basic principle of not exposing themselves unnecessarily to risk to any other reason than mission accomplishment. They go around, hold fire and/or get fired upon themselves at times simply because of noncombatants.

The rules of engagement, US military law and the law of war is pumped into our heads until it is oozing out our ears.

All the training in the world will not stop criminals from committing criminal acts.