PDA

View Full Version : Tonight I Went To A Wedding

Kathianne
10-25-2009, 01:02 AM
I've been to some nice weddings, but tonight's may have been the best. My daughter was 'second' maid of honor for a lifelong friend tonight. Wow! I've known Beth forever and her parents as long. I knew he was successful, but this wedding was 'over-the-top', $150k easy. Funny thing was it was all very comfortable and really didn't seem ostentatious.

Wyndham Chicago, right by Watertower Place. We took trolleys to the church, bride and parents went in Rolls limo. The church was gorgeous! Painted ceilings, lots of marble, gold, stained glass. Seems Beth had gone there for mass seven years ago, when at school downtown. Loved it so much, she knew she had to get married there. So she joined the parish, even though at the time she didn't have a boyfriend. :laugh2: I thought the trolleys were probably unnecessary, until finding the church was in Lincoln Park, absolutely no parking within blocks! Good planning on that call.

The trolleys took all 300 of the guests back to the hotel afterwards and there was an hour of cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. I can't even describe all those tidbits of seafood, meats, pastry puffs, etc. Dinner was filet and lobster, with champaign, wines. Salad was organic of course, with poached pears.

Really amazing was that before dinner began, after the first toast by father of the bride, they had a maybe 5 minute long video, from the morning to entering the hotel on the return from the church! It was set to music and included lots of candid shots, as well as the regular 'getting hair and make-up done.' How the videographer did that all so quick and a great job editing as well, was just amazing. I heard several people ask Beth's mom for his card.

Here's what I thought interesting, they had a DJ for the dancing, but during dinner they had a harpist and 3 piece string. Really nice.

I don't remember ever going to a wedding at 6:30, followed by reception. Good point was, everyone was hungry. I suppose I paid more attention than I normally do, seems the daughter is getting engaged. :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
10-25-2009, 06:26 AM
Sounds very nice. Any pics to share?

Kathianne
10-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Sounds very nice. Any pics to share?

I'm certain my daughter's bf will have some. Bride loved Barbies the way my boys loved Legos, meaning they all still have them. ;) Her dress was like 'Barbie's Wedding' from when she was kid. Halter with red sash with small silver/gem buckle. In the back the sash was embroidered with white seed pearls and sequins. Really simple, yet very elegant. The bridesmaids were in the same red colored dresses; guys black tuxes. White covered chairs at the reception with red sash wraps.

Abbey you would love this. The deacon had asked them to write down 'why this is the person I know I want to spend the rest of my life with', when they were preparing. Seems Jason wrote more than Beth, which got a nice chuckle. He shared some of each; focusing on how they made each other laugh, loved each others families, including brothers and sisters. They recognized they'd worked as a team-buying a home this past summer, getting Jason through law school, and Beth through her MBA. Really touching, nice. They dated for 5 years, getting engaged about a year and a half ago. The 'accomplishments' they did on their own, but the wedding was Beth's parents.

Abbey Marie
10-26-2009, 02:58 PM
That's sweet. They sound like a couple who could make it.

And how did you know I'd be interested in the dress? :)