PDA

View Full Version : Garden pests!

KitchenKitten99
04-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Last year I had trouble with what I assume were either rabbits or squirrels, eating up my vegetable garden. I had watermelons and pumpkins just starting to bud the fruit, and either a squirrel or rabbit ate the budding fruits parts. I don't think it's rabbits, as I haven't seen any of them since we got rid of the shed they lived under 2 years ago.

Other than taking out the pellet gun and shooting my cat's dinner, is there anything I can do to keep critters from eating my veggies & fruits?

manu1959
04-17-2007, 05:58 PM
Last year I had trouble with what I assume were either rabbits or squirrels, eating up my vegetable garden. I had watermelons and pumpkins just starting to bud the fruit, and either a squirrel or rabbit ate the budding fruits parts. I don't think it's rabbits, as I haven't seen any of them since we got rid of the shed they lived under 2 years ago.

Other than taking out the pellet gun and shooting my cat's dinner, is there anything I can do to keep critters from eating my veggies & fruits?

chicken wire surrounds

KitchenKitten99
04-17-2007, 06:01 PM
chicken wire surrounds I tried that, and they still got the plants.

Should I try maybe putting feeder corn out, to divert their attention? I just don't want to spend a lot of money on this.

Dilloduck
04-17-2007, 06:06 PM
I tried that, and they still got the plants.

Should I try maybe putting feeder corn out, to divert their attention? I just don't want to spend a lot of money on this.

stick with the pellet gun

manu1959
04-17-2007, 06:14 PM

yes the dig under the wire unless you have wire in the ground flat then turn up the sides. an open top box if you will...makes it easire to shoot them when the "fall in"

KitchenKitten99
04-17-2007, 09:02 PM
yes the dig under the wire unless you have wire in the ground flat then turn up the sides. an open top box if you will...makes it easire to shoot them when the "fall in"

maybe i should get me one of these? :coffee:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9_MsbK2mwp0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9_MsbK2mwp0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mr. P
04-17-2007, 09:10 PM

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Yeah that'll work! Be sure to hang a big sign that says "FREE FOOD COME AND GET IT!" too.

Gaffer
04-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Got a dog?

KitchenKitten99
04-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Got a dog?

yes but he doesn't live outside 24-7.

Gaffer
04-18-2007, 04:30 PM
yes but he doesn't live outside 24-7.

well put him on patrol around there as much as posible. Also you can try some old clothes with the human and dog scent on them. And lastly I recommend a rubber snake. Biggest one you can find and the more real the better.

KitchenKitten99
04-18-2007, 06:08 PM
well put him on patrol around there as much as posible. Also you can try some old clothes with the human and dog scent on them. And lastly I recommend a rubber snake. Biggest one you can find and the more real the better.

I don't want him outside much, only because he will dig holes. He has to be in his kennel unless we are out there with him, and the kennel is on the other side of the yard.

someone told me to dust the plants with cayenne pepper. It doesn't harm the plants and doesn't affect the taste of the fruit/veggies.

Gaffer
04-18-2007, 08:01 PM
yeah that might work. The snake does too. Keeps the birds and squirels away. The pepper is probaly easier to find tho.

KitchenKitten99
04-19-2007, 10:36 PM
I could even put out fermented fruit, or just find a local rave party and grab a few fruit bits from their wampatooi (sp?). check out this drunk squirrel:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4ikH9ZRcF2Q"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4ikH9ZRcF2Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>