PDA

View Full Version : A few general questions- Media

Noir
10-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Hey yar,
Well my first general assessment is nearing, and I have chosen for my essay the title 'Does the American news media create politicaly informed citizens'

So justa few quick questions,
I know of the major TV media and their bias, like CNN, Fox ect, but what about newspapers? I know of a few like the WSJ, NYT, WP, but I know not of their bias, also are there other major newspapers I should know of?

Radio shows, talk radio seems to be a rather important news media in America, but I know little of any of them, some names of the major radio talk shows and their bias would be welcomed.

And finally, for now, I keep hearing the name NBC and MSNBC, are they the same company, and thus NBC is a part of MSNBC or is it more complex than that?

Thanks in advance for any help.

CSM
10-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Hey yar,
Well my first general assessment is nearing, and I have chosen for my essay the title 'Does the American news media create politicaly informed citizens'

I know of the major TV media and their bias, like CNN, Fox ect, but what about newspapers? I know of a few like the WSJ, NYT, WP, but I know not of their bias, also are there other major newspapers I should know of?

Radio shows, talk radio seems to be a rather important news media in America, but I know little of any of them, some names of the major radio talk shows and their bias would be welcomed.

And finally, for now, I keep hearing the name NBC and MSNBC, are they the same company, and thus NBC is a part of MSNBC or is it more complex than that?

Thanks in advance for any help.

It seems to me that much of the print media also has their own bias.

I would also offer that the major radio talk shows are NOT NEWS MEDIA. I will say that the talk shows and media commentaries do have an impact and that many have some trouble distinguishing between "news" and "opinion". It is in missing the distinction (by many) that seems to cause much of the confusion. Whether the news media creates politically informed citizens or the commentaries create politically active citizens is two different things.

Good luck with your essay!

Nukeman
10-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Hey yar,

Thanks in advance for any help.Most print will have the same bias as the video news.

Where I live the major city by us has 2 newspapers. The one is more liberal than the other and the funny thing is that they are the SAME company. So they tailor the news and stories to their subscribers.

I would have to say if you only recieved your news from 1 source than NO you are not "politicly informed" however if you're willing to concede that your favorite channel is biased and watch or listen to opposing views than YOU WILL be informed.