PDA

View Full Version : F-35 flip

namvet
10-26-2009, 09:24 AM
could be a promo. or he might be hot dogn' in which case they'll put his dog on a bun and chow down. still takes nerves of steele

bgv1l8YZAME

Nukeman
10-26-2009, 10:21 AM
I say fake!!!!!!!!!

CSM
10-26-2009, 10:24 AM
I say fake!!!!!!!!!

Definitely fake!

Mr. P
10-26-2009, 10:53 AM
No doubt about it...FAKE!

crin63
10-26-2009, 11:01 AM
My buddy was at an AF exhibition 2 weeks ago and he told me that the F22 does a vertical flip. It stands tall as he put it, flips and then went into horizontal flight.

CSM
10-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Not hard to tell considering that NOTHING else in the video is moving! If you have ever been on a ship's deck you would know that the radar antennae would be rotating etc. and there would certainly be some effect on that chopper in the scene since the F-35 appears to be taking off from that landing pad (while the chopper is still in it????)

n0spam4me
10-26-2009, 11:16 AM
I thought that modern RADAR did not have the old style rotating dish, and that no moving parts where to be seen when its operating.
or am I wrong about this?

anyhow, ya, when the aircraft is vertical and appears to have the jet throttled up to max, there is no apparent disturbance on the deck.

My NAVY years where spent fiddling with Radio gear, so I wouldn't know about this sort of thing, but it looks odd to me.

CSM
10-26-2009, 11:24 AM
I thought that modern RADAR did not have the old style rotating dish, and that no moving parts where to be seen when its operating.
or am I wrong about this?

anyhow, ya, when the aircraft is vertical and appears to have the jet throttled up to max, there is no apparent disturbance on the deck.

My NAVY years where spent fiddling with Radio gear, so I wouldn't know about this sort of thing, but it looks odd to me.

There are some non rotating radar antennas but those used for control of aircraft still rotate as do many other types. The non rotating types are called phased array antennae (Patriot missile system uses such).

CSM
10-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Another thing is that there is a large fan located under the aircraft just behind the pilot that helps provide lift during vertical take off. For that fan to operate, doors are opened in the top of the aircraft. No place in the video shows those doors opened (they are quite noticeable too) or the bottom opening for the fan.

Nukeman
10-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Snopes says it is from a video game....

http://www.snopes.com/photos/airplane/f35.asp

AFbombloader
10-27-2009, 11:10 AM
My buddy was at an AF exhibition 2 weeks ago and he told me that the F22 does a vertical flip. It stands tall as he put it, flips and then went into horizontal flight.

An F-22 can do a tail-stand, but it is a show maneuver to highlight the thrust-vectoring and high angle of attack capability. I don't know abouot the flip thing, I'm sure it is possible but the stresses on the airframe would be massive. I was at Langley AFB for years while they had the F-22 and never saw a flip.

AF

sgtdmski
10-27-2009, 08:24 PM
The clouds never moved. Sorry but if you were on deck of an aircraft carrier that was not under power, it would still move due to the motion of the ocean current. The clouds never moved meaning the ship never moved. Definitely a fake!!!!

dmk

NightTrain
10-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Yeah, fake.

While that plane can do some amazing things, you damn sure wouldn't try to do that right off the deck like that. Altitude is your friend :D

Gadget (fmr Marine)
11-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Its real. I saw it on YouTube, too.

chesswarsnow
11-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Looks real to me.
2. Would be hard to fake that me thinks.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Jeff
11-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Don't know if it is fake or real, but it sure as hell looked pretty cool

Little-Acorn
11-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Obviously faked. The F-35 (and F-22) cannot vector their thrust forward. So the plane would have dived into the deck as soon as the nose pointed straight down. The best pilot in the world, couldn't defy gravity with nothing.