PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak Losing $32 per Passenger

red states rule
10-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Dems want the run our nations healthcare system while at the same time, they can't run a railroad?

Government-Run Rail System Losing $32 per Passenger, Study Shows
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
By Kevin Freking, Associated Press

Washington (AP) - U.S. taxpayers spent about $32 subsidizing the cost of the typical Amtrak passenger in 2008, about four times the rail operator's estimate, according to a private study.

Amtrak operates a nationwide rail network, serving more than 500 destinations in 46 states. Forty-one of Amtrak's 44 routes lost money in 2008, said the study by Subsidyscope, an arm of the Pew Charitable Trusts.

Stephen Van Beek, president of the Eno Transportation Foundation, a think tank, said the analysis could help guide decisions on how to spend $8 billion set aside for high-speed and intercity rail in a $787 billion economic stimulus bill. Rail planners may decide that spending the funds on high-speed rail makes more sense than slower intercity rail, which the Amtrak numbers show need higher subsidies.

Subsidyscope says its review counted certain capital expenses that Amtrak doesn't consider when calculating the financial performance of its routes, namely wear and tear on equipment, or depreciation.

Leading the list was the train traveling between San Antonio and Los Angeles -- the Sunset Limited -- which lost $462 per passenger. Taxpayers subsidize the losses to keep the passenger train service running.

The Northeast corridor has the highest passenger volume of any Amtrak route, greatly enhancing efficiency. The corridor's high-speed Acela Express made a profit of about $41 per passenger. The more heavily utilized Northeast Regional lost almost $5 per passenger.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/56132

Trigg
10-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Why would anyone choose to take a train across country when it takes longer to get somewhere and costs the same as an airline ticket?????

glockmail
10-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Amtrak is one of the biggest shams in this country.

Jeff
10-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Why would anyone choose to take a train across country when it takes longer to get somewhere and costs the same as an airline ticket?????

I agree with ya Trigg, but some are just that scared of flying, My Mom went out to Cali by way of train, not my style, but ya couldn't get her on a plane and at her age she doesn't need to be driving, I guess different strokes for different folks

red states rule
10-29-2009, 05:42 AM
Amtrak is one of the biggest shams in this country.

Only up until Obamacare passes

Like Amtrak, Obamacare will not have to make a profit either, and will make the losses of Amtrak look like pocket change

When competing with prrivate companies, the last thing government thinks about is making a profit sinc ethe taxpayer will cover the losses

Trigg
10-29-2009, 11:11 AM
I agree with ya Trigg, but some are just that scared of flying, My Mom went out to Cali by way of train, not my style, but ya couldn't get her on a plane and at her age she doesn't need to be driving, I guess different strokes for different folks

Well I completely understand it if someone is scared to fly.

I think many people would enjoy going across country if the PRICE were realistic and there were more places to board the train. After looking at the websight for Amtrak I'd have to travel at least 2 1/2 hours to the nearest station.

Gaffer
10-29-2009, 01:52 PM
I checked on the train from Cincinnati to Charleston SC. It would have cost $107. But I would have to board the train at 3 am and get off somewhere in VA and ride a bus for an hour and a half and get on another train. Travel time about 18 hours. The railroad needs to be privatized again.