PDA

View Full Version : Tourists in Australia warned of 6m 'monster' shark

HogTrash
10-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Six meters.....That's 20 feet and I believe it after seeing the chunks that was biten out of this 12 foot great white.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/6442974/Tourists-in-Australia-warned-of-6m-monster-shark.html

Tourists in Australia warned of 6m 'monster' shark
Tourists holidaying in the Australian state of Queensland have been warned to stay out of the water by authorities who fear a giant six metre-long shark might be prowling the coast.

Published: 7:00AM GMT 27 Oct 2009

The three and a half metre shark that was almost bitten in half by a large great white shark Photo: QLD Primary Industries and Fisheries Dept/Barcroft Pacific Concerns were raised after a 3m great white shark was found dead with two huge bites taken out of its body. Experts believe the bites were made by an even larger predatory fish.

Swimmers have been warned to stay out of the waters off Stradbroke Island, north of Brisbane.

British man Ben Southall starts work on best job in the world"It certainly opened up my eyes. I mean the shark that was caught is a substantial shark in itself," Jeff Krause of Queensland Fisheries told the Sydney Daily Telegraph.

Surfers have reacted to the news of the shark attack with shock.

"Whatever attacked and took chunks out of this big shark must be massive," said Ashton Smith, 19. "I've heard about the big one that's lurking out there somewhere.

"We're all being very, very cautious."

Australia is entering summer, a period of the year when shark attacks on humans increase because of the higher number of swimmers in the ocean.

The country's most popular beaches are protected by nets and what are known as drumlines - a series of baited hooks that hang from buoys placed in a line about 500 yards from the shore. However, neither guarantee that sharks cannot get through.

Since the net and drumline programme was introduced in Queensland there has been only one fatal attack on a protected beach.

NightTrain
11-05-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm certainly no expert on sharks, but it seems to me that placing baited hooks all around swimming areas would attract more predators to the vicinity.

I understand that the idea is to hook them before they reach swimmers, but it seems to me that the bait would lure them there when they may not have gone near swimmers in the first place.

Seems like a risky way to go about things.

HogTrash
12-01-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm certainly no expert on sharks, but it seems to me that placing baited hooks all around swimming areas would attract more predators to the vicinity.

I understand that the idea is to hook them before they reach swimmers, but it seems to me that the bait would lure them there when they may not have gone near swimmers in the first place.

Seems like a risky way to go about things.It seems kinda like opening a halfway house for pediphiles next door to a childrens playgroud.

Imagine the size of a monstrous 12 foot long great white shark.

Now picture the 20 footer that bit those two giant chunks out of it.