PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Scozzafava suspends NY 23 campaign

crin63
10-31-2009, 05:29 PM
This is absolutely fabulous news for America.

BREAKING: Scozzafava suspends NY 23 campaign - The Scorecard: BREAKING: Scozzafava suspends NY 23 campaign
October 31, 2009
Categories:

* New York

BREAKING: Scozzafava suspends NY 23 campaign

Republican Dede Scozzafava has suspended her bid in next Tuesday’s NY 23 special election, a huge development that dramatically shakes up the race. She did not endorse either of her two opponents -- Conservative party candidate Doug Hoffman or Democrat Bill Owens.

The decision to suspend her campaign is a boost for Hoffman, who already had the support of 50 percent of GOP voters, according to a newly-released Siena poll, and is now well-positioned to win over the 25 percent of Republicans who had been sticking with Scozzafava.

Scozzafava has “probably made her last campaign appearance between now and Election Day,” spokesman Matt Burns told POLITICO. “She’s releasing her support to the two other candidates."

"I had a discussion with her last night, and we made the decision after I spoke with her. We talked about it, what this came down to was spending. It came down to the ability to defend herself from the get-go. And that’s the reality. She was unable to define herself where the people didn’t know her."

POLITICO has the full story on Scozzafava's surprise decision here.

Scozzafava's statement:

Dear Friends and Supporters:

Throughout the course of my campaign for Congress, I have made the people of the 23rd District and the issues that affect them the focal point of my campaign. As a life long resident of this District, I care deeply and passionately about its people and our way of life. Whether as a candidate for Congress, a State Assemblywoman or a small town Mayor, I have always sought to act with the best interest of our District and its residents in mind—and today I again seek to act for the good of our community.

The opportunity to run as the Republican and Independence Party candidate to represent the 23rd District has been and remains one of the greatest honors of my life. During the past several months, as I’ve traveled the district, meeting and talking with voters about the issues that matter most to them, I’ve been overwhelmed by the amount of support I’ve received as I sought to serve as their voice in Washington. However, as Winston Churchill once said, Democracy can be a fickle employer, and the road to public office is not always a smooth one.

In recent days, polls have indicated that my chances of winning this election are not as strong as we would like them to be. The reality that I’ve come to accept is that in today’s political arena, you must be able to back up your message with money—and as I’ve been outspent on both sides, I’ve been unable to effectively address many of the charges that have been made about my record. But as I’ve said from the start of this campaign, this election is not about me, it’s about the people of this District. And, as always, today I will do what I believe serves their interests best.

It is increasingly clear that pressure is mounting on many of my supporters to shift their support. Consequently, I hereby release those individuals who have endorsed and supported my campaign to transfer their support as they see fit to do so. I am and have always been a proud Republican. It is my hope that with my actions today, my Party will emerge stronger and our District and our nation can take an important step towards restoring the enduring strength and economic prosperity that has defined us for generations.

On Election Day my name will appear on the ballot, but victory is unlikely. To those who support me – and to those who choose not to – I offer my sincerest thanks.

Dede

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/1009/BREAKING_Scozzafava_drops_out_of_NY_23.html

sgtdmski
10-31-2009, 07:15 PM
Well she dropped to third in the polls trailing both the Democrat who was leading with 33% and the Independent/Conservative Hoffman who had 32% of the polling. She was a distant third with only 21%.

Her stepping down will allow the people in the district to hopefully choose a candidate who wins the election by drawing more than only one-third of the people.

dmk

crin63
10-31-2009, 11:53 PM
It does my heart good to see a Conservative Independent beat out a Liberal Republican. It gives me hope for the future.

11-01-2009, 03:27 PM
lets not jump ahead of ourselves. no one has won yet...

11-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Has anyone heard that she is actually endorsing the Democrat now?

glockmail
11-01-2009, 06:47 PM
I used to be an elected official with the Conservative Party of NY. This is indeed a great moment in history if it works out like it should. We owe a lot of this to The One: Barack Hussein Obama, mmmmm, mmmmm, mmmmmm!

Binky
11-01-2009, 07:00 PM
I used to be an elected official with the Conservative Party of NY. This is indeed a great moment in history if it works out like it should. We owe a lot of this to The One: Barack Hussein Obama, mmmmm, mmmmm, mmmmmm!

:laugh2: Do you feel all warm and fuzzy now?

REDWHITEBLUE2
11-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Has anyone heard that she is actually endorsing the Democrat now?

YEP she's showing her true colors

Kathianne
11-01-2009, 10:25 PM
YEP she's showing her true colors

Now let's say you are Barak and low and behold, that candidate loses. Looking better and better for 2010, and '12.