PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota's Muslim cab drivers face crackdown

Abbey Marie
04-18-2007, 12:37 AM
Another culture clash. I believe there will be many more in the future.

Minnesota's Muslim cab drivers face crackdown Tue Apr 17, 8:58 AM ET

MINNEAPOLIS (Reuters) - Muslim cab drivers at Minnesota's biggest airport will face new penalties including a two-year revocation of their taxi permits if they refuse to give rides to travelers carrying liquor or accompanied by dogs, the board overseeing operations ruled Monday.

The Metropolitan Airports Commission, responding to complaints about the liquor issue, voted unanimously to impose the new penalties beginning in May.

A large number of taxi drivers in the area of the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport are Muslim Somali immigrants. Many say they feel the faith's ban on alcohol consumption includes transporting anyone carrying it.

Some also have refused to transport dogs, both pets and guide dogs, saying they are unclean.

The new rules cover any driver who refuses a ride for unwarranted reasons, including those who refuse to take short-haul passengers in favor of more lucrative longer trips. They can still refuse fares for certain reasons, including threats to their safety.

Under the new regulations a first offense would result in a 30-day cab license suspension and a second in a two-year taxi license revocation.

The current penalty only requires that cab drivers who refuse a fare to go back to the end of the taxi queue, costing them time and money.

Since January 2002, the commission said in announcing the new rules, there have been about 4,800 instances where cab drivers refused to pick up people with alcohol in their possession.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070417/od_nm/muslims_taxis_dc_1

Psychoblues
04-18-2007, 12:49 AM
The same ignorance/arrogance that precipitated 9/11 will prevail in the inner cities of our country, the United States of America.

MINNEAPOLIS (Reuters) - Muslim cab drivers at Minnesota's biggest airport will face new penalties including a two-year revocation of their taxi permits if they refuse to give rides to travelers carrying liquor or accompanied by dogs, the board overseeing operations ruled Monday.

The Metropolitan Airports Commission, responding to complaints about the liquor issue, voted unanimously to impose the new penalties beginning in May.

A large number of taxi drivers in the area of the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport are Muslim Somali immigrants. Many say they feel the faith's ban on alcohol consumption includes transporting anyone carrying it.

Some also have refused to transport dogs, both pets and guide dogs, saying they are unclean.

The new rules cover any driver who refuses a ride for unwarranted reasons, including those who refuse to take short-haul passengers in favor of more lucrative longer trips. They can still refuse fares for certain reasons, including threats to their safety.

Under the new regulations a first offense would result in a 30-day cab license suspension and a second in a two-year taxi license revocation.

The current penalty only requires that cab drivers who refuse a fare to go back to the end of the taxi queue, costing them time and money.

Since January 2002, the commission said in announcing the new rules, there have been about 4,800 instances where cab drivers refused to pick up people with alcohol in their possession.

It's tough to comprehend but comprehend we must. So far the comprehension has been not good for Americans.

glockmail
04-18-2007, 08:37 AM
The muzzies are just testing the waters, seeing if its warm enough to swim yet. When it is, they'll start their killing and revolution.

Nuc
04-18-2007, 08:42 AM
The muzzies are just testing the waters, seeing if its warm enough to swim yet. When it is, they'll start their killing and revolution.

For once you said something that makes sense!:clap: :lol: :cheers2: :dance: :coffee:

glockmail
04-18-2007, 08:45 AM
For once you said something that makes sense!... If you had your mind on politics instead of young boys maybe you'd understand more. :pee:

Gunny
04-18-2007, 09:28 AM

I don't see the liberals lining up to wail and gnash their teeth. You know, like they do when some Christian refuses to fill a birth control prescription ...:poke:

darin
04-18-2007, 09:33 AM
I don't see the liberals lining up to wail and gnash their teeth. You know, like they do when some Christian refuses to fill a birth control prescription ...:poke:

If I were a Homophile I'd be worried...seems Muslims are fast-over-taking HomoNazis as the Protected, Special-rights-seeking, wonder-group!

Gunny
04-18-2007, 09:36 AM
You know they're next in line. Is it any wonder Sharpton and Jackson are amping up the rhetoric? They're heading for 3rd place fast.

04-18-2007, 10:52 AM
I think its perfectly reasonable for employers to expect you to do the same work as other employees. If you want to conduct a business according to your religious belief, you are free to start your own business and do so, but when someones hiring you, you should be doing what you were hired to do.

Gunny
04-18-2007, 10:57 AM
I think its perfectly reasonable for employers to expect you to do the same work as other employees. If you want to conduct a business according to your religious belief, you are free to start your own business and do so, but when someones hiring you, you should be doing what you were hired to do.

Agreed. I'm just noticing the double-standard. When it was some woman who wouldn't give up the birth control pills a couple of months back, the libs went crazy.

I don't see a difference between this and that except one is a Christian and one is a Muslim. It's still an individual refusing to provide a service based on religious belief.

darin
04-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Agreed. I'm just noticing the double-standard. When it was some woman who wouldn't give up the birth control pills a couple of months back, the libs went crazy.

I don't see a difference between this and that except one is a Christian and one is a Muslim. It's still an individual refusing to provide a service based on religious belief.

The Libs know if they piss-off the muslims, people will Die. They don't fear Christians.

Gunny
04-18-2007, 11:12 AM
The Libs know if they piss-off the muslims, people will Die. They don't fear Christians.

Maybe we (Christians) are going about this all wrong. Maybe it's time for a jihad!:laugh2:

Hobbit
04-18-2007, 11:43 AM

You're forgetting the double-whammy that the pharmacist denied the person every American's God-given right to sex without consequences.

04-18-2007, 11:45 AM
You're forgetting the double-whammy that the pharmacist denied the person every American's God-given right to sex without consequences.

Most women I know deny men that God-given right everyday...

Hobbit
04-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Most women I know deny men that God-given right everyday...

Lemme ammend that...even American woman's God-given right to sex without consequences. Men are evil pigs and don't have that right.

Gaffer
04-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Glad to see the muzzies getting what's coming to them. But the clashes will be starting soon. Bombings, shooting, and riots are on the horizon.

glockmail
04-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Most women I know deny men that God-given right everyday... Instead of my wife saying no, she says "go ahead, I won't be joining you".

:fart: