PDA

View Full Version : Slowness?

jimnyc
11-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I just clicked on lounge, then start a new thread, and it all loaded very quickly. Prior to that, almost every page or thread I load has been quite slow for the past hour for me. Not sure if it's me, a routing issue, or the server - but I did open a support ticket already to have them look at it. So if you're seeing slowness, it's being handled!

chesswarsnow
11-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Nope, alls well here.
2. Hey wheres MM?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

hjmick
11-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Not here.

chesswarsnow
11-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Sorry bout that,

Not here.

1. Banned again?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

hjmick
11-04-2009, 10:58 PM
From at least two boards that I know of.

Gaffer
11-05-2009, 11:21 AM
I have noticed a slowness over the last two days and yesterday got an interrupt message and couldn't get on for a while. Nver sure which end the problem is on so always wait before informing about it.

Kathianne
11-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Very slow right now.

Mr. P
11-05-2009, 11:29 AM
I've only been able to connect one time today..VERY SLOW.

Sir Evil
11-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Extremely slow!

NightTrain
11-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Hey, Jim, the board is slow! :D

jackass
11-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Its only slow for me to pull the page up. Once I am here its fine.

jimnyc
11-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Its only slow for me to pull the page up. Once I am here its fine.

This "may" be the possible issue, and I'd like as much feedback from others as possible. Loading the main page also loads all the stats at the top of the board - the top 10 stuff. It also loads the members who have visited today section. Both of these add up to addition SQL queries to fetch the information. I noticed that loading specific forums and threads does load faster for me most of the time. I'm wondering if the problem is too many SQL queries related to the main page. I'll await feedback from others and am going to run some tests on the side for comparison with other areas and other sites.

Noir
11-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I have not noticed any problems, though my net is also stupidly fast so that may dampen any slowness,

jimnyc
11-05-2009, 10:23 PM
If you're online now, and you see things disappearing, you aren't going crazy! Just gonna disable a few things as part of my testing...

jimnyc
11-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Interesting... I started out disabling certain add-ons, and the second one I tested was the "Most active user today/24hrs" which is at the bottom underneath who has been online today. The main page instantly started loading normally for me. Can others that thought it was slow let me know if they see any improvement as well. I'll monitor for awhile to ensure it's not just a coincidence. I hope I didn't complain to my host about an issue I could have easily fixed myself!

Mr. P
11-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Fast now..except for the reply screen..

NightTrain
11-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Nice and fast again for me as well. Attaboy Jim!

jimnyc
11-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Fast now..except for the reply screen..

Every page will vary in response time based on quite a few factors, but most important is how many SQL queries are needed for your request. Now that I figured out the best way to monitor the queries and time them, I can check the rest of the board and maybe neaten things up a little more.

Nice and fast again for me as well. Attaboy Jim!

Was pure luck! I knew it was SQL related but was 100% sure it was on the server end, as it was many times before. It was Jackass that prompted me to look at the differences between the index page and latter pages. And while the code I used previously worked in showing the proper results, it was bad code in the fact that it looped and added way too many additional queries.

At times I think it's a great idea to add new features to the board, but as you can see sometimes it comes with consequences, like slowing the entire board. I'll be sure to do more thorough testing in the future when making any additions.