PDA

View Full Version : Obama's 'Reactions' From One Euro

Kathianne
11-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Funny how we are getting better analysis from UK than from US press:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/6520286/Bloodless-President-Barack-Obama-makes-Americans-wistful-for-George-W-Bush.html

Bloodless President Barack Obama makes Americans wistful for George W Bush

Barack Obama's reaction to bad news is to play it so cool that Americans yearn for a bit more drama - and some even for his predecessor, writes Toby Harnden in Washington.

Toby Harnden's American Way
Published: 5:57PM GMT 07 Nov 2009

During the election campaign, Barack Obama's cool detachment was a winning quality, the "No Drama Obama" a welcome contrast with the "Mr Angry" John McCain, never mind the hot-headed "I'm the decider" President George W Bush.

A year into his presidency, however, Mr Obama seems a curiously bloodless president. If he experiences passion, he seldom shows it. It is often anyone's guess as to whether an event or issue truly moves him....

...When the television networks cut to the President, viewers listened to him spend more than two surreal minutes talking to a gathering of Native Americans about their "extraordinary" and "extremely productive" conference, pausing to give a cheery "shout out" to a man named Dr Joe Medicine Crow. Only then did he briefly and mechanically address what had happened in Texas.

On Friday, when most of the basic facts were available, Mr Obama tried again. It was scarcely any better. He began by offering "an update on the tragedy that took place" - as if it was an earthquake and not a terrorist attack from an enemy within - and ended with a promise for more "updates in the coming days and weeks".

Completely missing was the eloquence that Mr Obama employs when talking about himself. Absent too was any sense that the President empathised with the families and comrades of those murdered.

It was a reminder that for the past 16 years Americans have had two Presidents who would often extemporise and express emotion. President Bill Clinton could certainly "feel your pain" while Mr Bush sometimes struggled to hold back tears. Mr Obama is more like President George Bush Snr, who famously communicated his concern for people by blurting out: "Message - I care."...

chesswarsnow
11-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. It may be because of his muslim roots, and his stepping out and extending his hand to the muslims in middle east, after he became The President.
2. He is fearful of looking two faced to them.
3. So he shrugs off these American lives as incidental.
4. Otherwise, he foams up negitive sentment towards islam, which he is so very careful not to do.
5. His allegence is that of the shooter, islam first then America second.
6. He skates on a very thin ice, and in so doing he may fall through.
7. He has spoken to well of islam to start bashing it, he believes if he degrades islam in anyway, Americans here and all over the world, will take revenge.
8. Which could indeed happen.
9. I wonder how long The President can go without demeaning this cult over this latest killing spree?
10. He will have to confront this some day.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Noir
11-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Dare I say that if I posted British news articles singing Obamas song then I'd be told to keep my articles and that our folks should concentrate on writting about our country and not yours,

justa thought,

Kathianne
11-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Dare I say that if I posted British news articles singing Obamas song then I'd be told to keep my articles and that our folks should concentrate on writting about our country and not yours,

justa thought,

Perhaps if I were writing about UK, you'd have a point. The writer is spot on about the American coverage, btw. That is what's sad, I've seen better analysis and criticism regarding Obama from MSM in UK, France, and Germany.

Noir
11-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Perhaps if I were writing about UK, you'd have a point. The writer is spot on about the American coverage, btw. That is what's sad, I've seen better analysis and criticism regarding Obama from MSM in UK, France, and Germany.

Wel tis good to know I can publish British critics on the US and shall not be slated for it,

Also if I may add, this is a very British thing, we love to build people up to impossible hights of greatness, see them get there goal, and then give them as bloody a nose as possible as we bash them back down again, Obama is no exception.

Kathianne
11-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Wel tis good to know I can publish British critics on the US and shall not be slated for it,

Also if I may add, this is a very British thing, we love to build people up to impossible hights of greatness, see them get there goal, and then give them as bloody a nose as possible as we bash them back down again, Obama is no exception.

For the most part seems the press there is as much in the pot with the American. However, there is more criticism from there than here. That was the only point.

As for being slated, we all deal with that.

PostmodernProphet
11-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Funny how we are getting better analysis from UK than from US press:

there must be SOME conservatives in England, Thatcher used to be PM.....