PDA

View Full Version : What stops mass murderers? A gun.

Little-Acorn
11-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Everyone is concentrating on whether we could have foretold that Hasan would have committed his mass murders, based on what he was known to have said and done in the past.

But no one is examining why he was able to go on shooting, firing more than 100 shots, reloading time and again, without being stopped... on an Army base!!!

The place was full of soldiers, wasn't it? Particularly the room where he did his murders. He was shooting soldiers.

Aren't soldiers people who have guns, by definition? People who are trained in their use? Then how on earth could this guy calmly going on firing at them, firing, reloading, firing some more, reloading again, firing some more, ad infinitum, without being taken out after the first few shots??

For that matter, if Hasan wanted to commit mass murder, and needed a place full of people where he could be sure of having plenty of time to do all the shooting, reloading, etc. that such deeds require without anybody being able to interfere and stop him before he racks up a truly impressive body count... you'd think the LAST place he'd pick was a U.S. Army base, full of soldiers.

Yet that's exactly the place he did pick. Why not a shopping mall, or a Post office, or a school? Places where people are forbidden to bring guns, as so many mass murderers before him chose, and with such great success? Whatever made him think he could engage in a long shooting spree witout interference, on an Army base???

Yep. As the old saying goes... and keeps being found true... when you come up against a completely inexplicable situation that makes no sense, and want to know why it's so, the reason is almost always....

Government.

One of the first things Bill Clinton did when he assumed office in 1993, was to disarm U.S. soldiers on our military bases.

So, not one of the many dozens of soldiers in the room, trained in the use of weapons for their own defense and to control attackers, had their weapons with them. And Hasan knew they wouldn't.

The gun-rights-haters have successfully made sure of the deaths of fourteen more victims (one of the murdered soldiers was a pregnant woman, whose infant also died).

How many more will die in the future, due to the haters' insistence that they be left disarmed (even soldiers trained in the use of weapons) in an imperfect, dangerous world?

---------------------------------------------

http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/what-stops-mass-murderers-a-gun-70134582.html

What stops mass murderers? A gun

by Vin Suprynowicz
Nov. 15, 2009

Early in the morning of Dec. 5, 1999, off-duty Las Vegas police officer Dennis Devitte was one of the customers at Mr. D's Sportsbar & Grill, at Rainbow and Oakey boulevards, where he and some pals had gone to hear the band Pigs in a Blanket.

A little after 1 a.m., three armed robbers charged through the back door with guns drawn and their faces covered with T-shirts or bandanas. "I'd only been in the bar a short time and was talking to friends," Mr. Devitte later told an interviewer for the International Association of Chiefs of Police. "I saw a ruckus at the end of the bar. ...

"One of the gunmen went right by me and shot a man in a wheelchair, hitting him in the shoulder," Mr. Devitte recalled. "I only had my small .25-caliber off-duty gun, which isn't very accurate, so I knew I had to get really close before I could start shooting. Otherwise I might hit someone else."

The robbers might have taken a moment to consider the name of the band, which featured three off-duty officers. Mr. D's was often referred to as a "cop bar," though the IACP determined Mr. Devitte was, curiously enough, the only patron armed at the time.

Mr. Devitte dug the handgun out of his pocket and approached 19-year-old Emilio Rodriguez, who was firing into the crowd with a .40 caliber pistol. "I went straight at him as he turned and started firing at me," Mr. Devitte said. "He kept firing and hitting me, but I held my fire until I got to less than 18 inches from him."

The incident took 20 seconds and was recorded on the bar's surveillance tape. Mr. Devitte shot Rodriguez eight times -- twice through the heart -- before the officer finally fell, the robber's last round having blown out his knee.

Rodriguez stumbled out the front door and died. The other two robbers fled.

"Dennis was bleeding from everywhere," recalled Mike Richards, a fellow officer who was playing in the band. "I yelled for towels. Then I tried to get Dennis' gun from him. Even though one bullet had blown his right hand apart and another had hit his right thumb, he wouldn't give it up. He told me there were still two more bad guys."

"Please tell my wife I love her," Mr. Devitte told officer Curtis Wills, as he lay bleeding from his wounds. "I did the best I could. I hope I didn't hit anybody else."

The following year, Dennis Devitte -- who recovered and returned to duty -- received the highest honor in law enforcement, as the IACP named him America's Police Officer of the Year.

There are two reasons no innocent parties died at Mr. D's that night. One, beyond any question, was the selfless courage of Dennis Devitte.

The second reason? One of Emilio Rodriguez's intended victims had a gun.

On Nov. 6, America found reason to honor another brave civilian police officer, as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, a U.S. army psychiatrist about to be deployed to Afghanistan, reportedly shouted "Allahu Akbar!" and opened fire at a soldier readiness facility in Fort Hood, Texas, killing 13 people and wounding 28.

Police Sgt. Kimberly Munley and Sgt. Mark Todd responded separately within three minutes of the report of gunfire. Sgt. Munley was hit by the mass murderer's rounds in her wrist and both thighs while returning fire, standing her ground. Sgt. Todd then delivered the rounds that ended Hasan's brief career as a jihadist -- providing the current White House doesn't intervene to commute his pending court-martial sentence to singing three rousing choruses of "Kumbaya."

Hasan reportedly had fired more than 100 rounds, requiring him to change handgun magazines several times -- Sgt. Todd said Hasan was reloading again when he shot the suspect. Why didn't any of the hundreds of Army personnel in the room shoot back, ending his killing spree far sooner?

Because they couldn't.

Among President Bill Clinton's first acts upon taking office in 1993 "was to disarm U.S. soldiers on military bases," the Washington Times points out.

But mass murderers do generally have a harder time of it in Texas, nowadays, thanks to the legislative response to the second deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history, which also occurred in Killeen, Texas -- home to Fort Hood.

In 1991, George Hennard drove his pickup through the window of a Luby's cafeteria in Killeen, jumped out and began firing two pistols at the defenseless customers and employees inside, killing 23.

As Jacob Sullum pointed out in his syndicated column in last week's Review-Journal, one customer, Suzanna Hupp, saw Hennard gun down her parents. Mrs. Hupp later testified that she had brought a handgun with her that day but, to her bitter regret, left it in her car, as required by state law.

Hupp ran for and was elected to the Texas Legislature, where she was able to win passage of a "shall issue" law that requires authorities to issue a concealed carry permit to any resident who meets certain objective criteria.

Unless they join the Army.

gabosaurus
11-16-2009, 02:29 PM
The Fort Hood incident is a good example of guns not being a good deterrent to mass murders. How did the shooter manage to kill and injure so many before he was shot?
And these were trained soldiers. The average Joe with a gun is pretty much helpless.
You guys need to explain this one.

Nukeman
11-16-2009, 02:31 PM
The Fort Hood incident is a good example of guns not being a good deterrent to mass murders. How did the shooter manage to kill and injure so many before he was shot?
And these were trained soldiers. The average Joe with a gun is pretty much helpless.
You guys need to explain this one.BECAUSE they were NOT armed. Did you or did you not read the OP. You are not allowed to carry on base!! If they were allowed to carry than it would have ended a lot sooner!!!!!

Monkeybone
11-16-2009, 03:09 PM

How is it a good example? A military base is a gun free zone unless you are a cop.

Like Nuke said, did you read any of the post?

HogTrash
11-16-2009, 03:50 PM
The abolishment of political correctness!

Kathianne
11-16-2009, 05:47 PM

Whoops, can't believe you posted this. Were you not watching any of the coverage?

MtnBiker
11-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Whoops, can't believe you posted this. Were you not watching any of the coverage?

Well some people can only view things through a narrow liberal spectrum.

HogTrash
11-16-2009, 06:10 PM
The liberals, including every single liberal on this forum is directly responsible for the deaths of every single life lost that day at Fort Hood because of the political correctness that all liberals are responsible for implementing and supporting throughout the last several decades.

If you are a liberal, you are just as guilty as if you put the gun to every Fort Hood victim's head and pulled the trigger yourself...You are 100% to blame for their deaths...No ifs, ands or buts...How do you make amends for these murders you have commited?...How do you say I'm sorry to their families?

This politically correct madness must end!...It will not be hard for me to abandon political correctness seeing how I never practiced it to begin with...I suggest everyone make a commitment today to stop the practice of political correctness for now and forever...It has always been bad but now it is killing us.

glockmail
11-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Not only was he stopped by a gun, but by a woman with a gun. Take that, you Muslim butt-pirate! :lol: