PDA

View Full Version : Single mom refuses deployment

gabosaurus
11-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Thoughts?
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/nov/16/soldier-mom-refuses-deployment-to-care-for-baby/

HogTrash
11-16-2009, 04:38 PM
That's 6 months forfeiture of pay, six months in a federal penitentiary and a dishonorable discharge.

She either enlisted regardless of her family commitments or created them after her enlistment.

She is also hurting other womens chances of joining the military who may be in similiar situations.

Her training cost the taxpayers alot of money and even more to replace her...She must be held accountable.

11-16-2009, 05:05 PM
I have a difficult time feeling sypathy. She should have known its a possibility. She should have made arrangements.

darin
11-16-2009, 05:08 PM
uh..the army forces people to have family care packages which account for this type of thing - or the servicemember is discharged. There's really no issue here, other than her arrest, which makes it seem like she failed to follow orders to report for duty. She messed up, didn't keep her chain of command or concern appraised of the situation - she could be just making shit up because she doesn't wanna go - but either way, there are plenty of chances for single parents in the Army

Noir
11-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Well from Reading the story it seems lime she was ready to go when he mother pulled out of looking after the child, you can harpy blame the women foe what her mother did,

I'm not sure exactly how the discharge system works, so I won't comment on that, but I do feel rather sorry fir this women who has been caught between a rock and a hard place through no fault of her own.

Trigg
11-16-2009, 05:38 PM
From the article it sounds like the Army has clear guidelines for these types of situations. The article clearly states that she wouldn't have been deployed if she didn't have childcare.

The woman clearly didn't follow procedure. Maybe she was overwhelmed at the time and panicked, who knows. In the end she enlisted and with that goes the knowledge that she may be deployed. She needs to take responsibility for her mistake.

cat slave
11-22-2009, 11:59 AM
What part of "voluntary army" wasnt noticed in this.

Aside from that, isnt it fishy to anyone that a grandmother who had committed
to caring for her grandchild all of a sudden pulls out? This doesnt wash.
And maybe I missed something because Im in a hurry...gotta go.

darin
11-22-2009, 01:38 PM
I suspect you're right. Would have been easy for her to ask her mom to find a way to decide to not be on the Mom's family care packett.