PDA

View Full Version : Married couples face extra tax in Senate health care bill

red states rule
11-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Dems can't wait to screw as many people as possible with Obamacare. More taxes, more regulation, and more government control over our lives

Senate Democrats' health care bill would create a new marriage penalty by imposing a tax on individuals who make $200,000 annually but hitting married couples making just $50,000 more.

That's one of 17 new taxes imposed by the bill, which also creates a levy on elective plastic surgery - some call it "botax" - and places a 40 percent excise tax on those who have generous health care plans.

"If you have insurance, you get taxed. If you don't have insurance, you get taxed. If you need a life-saving medical device, you get taxed. If you need prescription medicines, you get taxed," said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Kentucky Republican, who is leading the fight against the bill.

The new taxes would be used to fund an expansion of government medical programs and to fund subsidies for lower-income individuals to buy insurance, extending health care coverage to 94 percent of eligible non-elderly Americans.

Democrats said the bill will offer lower health care costs for small businesses and families, and said the new taxes are aimed at upper-income earners, so costs would not go up for the middle class. They said that makes good on President Obama's campaign pledge not to increase taxes on families making less than $250,000 a year, which explains the reason for the new marriage penalty.

"We wanted to make this provision consistent with the president's pledge not to increase taxes on singles making under $200,000 and married couples making under $250,000," said Jim Manley, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who wrote the Senate bill.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/20/married-couples-face-tax-in-senate-health-care-bil/

Nukeman
11-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Don't recall a plitician ever seeing a tax they didn't like!!!!!!!!!!:coffee:

chloe
11-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Dems can't wait to screw as many people as possible with Obamacare. More taxes, more regulation, and more government control over our lives

Married people always lose out when it comes to the gov. Gov seems to promote divorce by suggesting more programs for schooling or help if unemployed is available to single parents. It doesnt matter if a married couple is struggling just as much. Now they have to pay more taxes too.

red states rule
11-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Don't recall a plitician ever seeing a tax they didn't like!!!!!!!!!!:coffee:

Now I am hearing the talking heads saying this is no longer about "reform" but SAVING THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION

The bribes are being handed out for the few Dems needed to pass this tax bill

It is clear the Dems are out to secure their power and do not give a rats ass about the harm they will do the country

red states rule
11-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Married people always lose out when it comes to the gov. Gov seems to promote divorce by suggesting more programs for schooling or help if unemployed is available to single parents. It doesnt matter if a married couple is struggling just as much. Now they have to pay more taxes too.

All tax payers will lose in this deal Chloe. If you work and pay your bills - you will get screwed and I promise you - you will not enjoy it

chloe
11-20-2009, 09:26 AM
All tax payers will lose in this deal Chloe. If you work and pay your bills - you will get screwed and I promise you - you will not enjoy it

I already am, they raised my insurance a $100 more a month, I only make $23,000 a year and I have 2 kids to support. If I didn't have to think of my kids , I wouldnt carry insurance at all. I'd rather die. LOL:laugh2:

red states rule
11-20-2009, 09:29 AM
I already am, they raised my insurance a $100 more a month, I only make $23,000 a year and I have 2 kids to support. If I didn't have to think of my kids , I wouldnt carry insurance at all. I'd rather die. LOL:laugh2:

I had UHC, and the rates went up. Starting in Jan I will have Aetna. Low cost and good coverage

Of course there is a growing fear the company will cancel their health plans, pay the 8% "tax" and dump all of us in the government plan

The same people who run the US Post Office will be in charge of my healthcare

I am not feeling very confident in all that hope and change BS

chloe
11-20-2009, 09:38 AM
I had UHC, and the rates went up. Starting in Jan I will have Aetna. Low cost and good coverage

Of course there is a growing fear the company will cancel their health plans, pay the 8% "tax" and dump all of us in the government plan

The same people who run the US Post Office will be in charge of my healthcare

I am not feeling very confident in all that hope and change BS

I just gotnrid of Aetna, that is who I used to have. Yeah they are a good insurance, but there rates for next year I cant afford anymore.

red states rule
11-20-2009, 09:39 AM
I just gotnrid of Aetna, that is who I used to have. Yeah they are a good insurance, but there rates for next year I cant afford anymore.

It may be I work for such a huge worldwide company that they got better rates

UHC was now the most expensive plan offered, and Aetna was a damn good deal for me

chloe
11-20-2009, 09:43 AM
It may be I work for such a huge worldwide company that they got better rates

UHC was now the most expensive plan offered, and Aetna was a damn good deal for me

Yeah the best rates I ever had was when I worked for morgan stanley. I think bigger companies offer better packages.

red states rule
11-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Yeah the best rates I ever had was when I worked for morgan stanley. I think bigger companies offer better packages.

Unlike the government, companies can provide better coverage at a better cost

The government never has to worry about making a profit, they can just keep throwing money at the program

Look how the Dems are spending just to get votes for the damn bill

Mary Landrieu has been bought and paid for like a women on the street corner

The $100 Million Health Care Vote?

ABC News' Jonathan Karl reports:

What does it take to get a wavering senator to vote for health care reform?

Here’s a case study.

On page 432 of the Reid bill, there is a section increasing federal Medicaid subsidies for “certain states recovering from a major disaster.”

The section spends two pages defining which “states” would qualify, saying, among other things, that it would be states that “during the preceding 7 fiscal years” have been declared a “major disaster area.”

I am told the section applies to exactly one state: Louisiana, the home of moderate Democrat Mary Landrieu, who has been playing hard to get on the health care bill.

In other words, the bill spends two pages describing would could be written with a single world: Louisiana. (This may also help explain why the bill is long.)

Senator Harry Reid, who drafted the bill, cannot pass it without the support of Louisiana’s Mary Landrieu.

How much does it cost? According to the Congressional Budget Office: $100 million.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2009/11/the-100-million-health-care-vote.html

chloe
11-20-2009, 09:52 AM

The government never has to worry about making a profit, they can just keep throwing money at the program

I'd rather pay direct to the Doctors and Hospitals. If I pay a premium of $248.00 a month and never get sick never go to the Doctor, then the Insurance company made out like a Bandit. I dont like government in health insurance business and I dont like Health insurance.

red states rule
11-20-2009, 09:54 AM
I'd rather pay direct to the Doctors and Hospitals. If I pay a premium of $248.00 a month and never get sick never go to the Doctor, then the Insurance company made out like a Bandit. I dont like government in health insurance business and I dont like Health insurance.

The ins companies are not the bad guys here. They make an average of 3.3% profit, and provide a valuable service

A huge majority of people are happy with their plan and coverage. Let the government get involved, and things will only get worse

Insein
11-20-2009, 09:54 AM

A one point in time, the government offered incentives to be married. Promotion of the general welfare back then was interpretted as 2 married people being together and having children. They felt that a family provided more to the economy through financial stability and purchases to support a family. Imagine that.

chloe
11-20-2009, 10:13 AM
A one point in time, the government offered incentives to be married. Promotion of the general welfare back then was interpretted as 2 married people being together and having children. They felt that a family provided more to the economy through financial stability and purchases to support a family. Imagine that.

Its very unfair, and it seems sinister, like promoting divorce and division out of greed or necessity. Why not cut married couples and families a break, why promote that if you divorce there are more programs out there to help you. That seems backwards to me.

Redstatesrule: If I pay $248.00 a month every month for years without incident, then the insurance company makes out pretty good. I would Much rather save my money and if I get sick pay to the Doctor & Hosptial my healers directly. I think if there weren't high medical school tuition and high mal practice insurance, that paying my $248.00 a month to the hospital and doctors directly instead of a middle man insurance company is something I would rather do. While I'd love to blame everything on democrats, frankly nobody has solved this issue ever since Insurance got powerful in politics. So you wont see me eager to blame any party. Id rather cut insurance out altogether, they really dont need to be involved in my business between me and my doctor and me and my hospital.

red states rule
11-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Its very unfair, and it seems sinister, like promoting divorce and division out of greed or necessity. Why not cut married couples and families a break, why promote that if you divorce there are more programs out there to help you. That seems backwards to me.

Redstatesrule: If I pay $248.00 a month every month for years without incident, then the insurance company makes out pretty good. I would Much rather save my money and if I get sick pay to the Doctor & Hosptial my healers directly. I think if there weren't high medical school tuition and high mal practice insurance, that paying my $248.00 a month to the hospital and doctors directly instead of a middle man insurance company is something I would rather do. While I'd love to blame everything on democrats, frankly nobody has solved this issue ever since Insurance got powerful in politics. So you wont see me eager to blame any party. Id rather cut insurance out altogether, they really dont need to be involved in my business between me and my doctor and me and my hospital.

The last thing Dems want is for people NOT to be dependent on government. I have always thought of liberal politicans as the drug dealer on the corner

They get people hooked on the government check - then are held hostage. They will vote for them election after election to keep the check coming every month

Meanwhile the liberal politican does everything possible to keep that person (and their family) right where they are so they will never no longer need them

Chloe, if you dump your ins coverage and want to pay as you go - the Dems will fine you and put you in jail. You can't buck their system and take care of yourself and your family on your own

chloe
11-20-2009, 10:22 AM
The last thing Dems want is for people NOT to be dependent on government. I have always thought of liberal politicans as the drug dealer on the corner

They get people hooked on the government check - then are held hostage. They will vote for them election after election to keep the check coming every month

Meanwhile the liberal politican does everything possible to keep that person (and their family) right where they are so they will never no longer need them

Chloe, if you dump your ins coverage and want to pay as you go - the Dems will fine you and put you in jail. You can't buck their system and take care of yourself and your family on your own

well.....no see as a single parent they offer me benefits to do nothing.:cool:, but I would rather cut gov and insurance out of the equation and pay my $248.00 a month to my doctor and hospital directly if I used there services and owed money. See I like to pay my bills, but I would not like to pay for a service I never recieve.

red states rule
11-20-2009, 10:25 AM
well.....no see as a single parent they offer me benefits to do nothing.:cool:, but I would rather cut gov and insurance out of the equation and pay my $248.00 a month to my doctor and hospital directly if I used there services and owed money. See I like to pay my bills, but I would not like to pay for a service I never recieve.

Some Doctors have tried to charge their patients a flat monthly fee and guess what - the government has said NO

New York, NY - State Bureaucrats Fight Doctor's $79 Flat Fee for Uninsured
http://www.vosizneias.com/28392/2009/03/04/new-york-ny-doctor-trying-to-help-uninsured-patients-with ^ | 3/22/09 | anon

Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 2:43:25 AM by genghis

New York, NY - The state is trying to shut down a New York City doctor's ambitious plan to treat uninsured patients for around $1,000 a year.

Dr. John Muney offers his patients everything from mammograms to mole removal at his AMG Medical Group clinics, which operate in all five boroughs.

"I'm trying to help uninsured people here," he said.

His patients agree to pay $79 a month for a year in return for unlimited office visits with a $10 co-pay.

But his plan landed him in the crosshairs of the state Insurance Department, which ordered him to drop his fixed-rate plan - which it claims is equivalent to an insurance policy.

Muney insists it is not insurance because it doesn't cover anything that he can't do in his offices, like complicated surgery. He points out his offices do not operate 24/7 so they can't function like emergency rooms.

"I'm not doing an insurance business," he said. "I'm just providing my services at my place during certain hours."

He says he can afford to charge such a small amount because he doesn't have to process mountains of paperwork and spend hours on billing.

"If they leave me alone, I can serve thousands of patients," he said.

The state believes his plan runs afoul of the law because it promises to cover unplanned procedures - like treating a sudden ear infection - under a fixed rate. That's something only a licensed insurance company can do.

"The law is strict on how insurance is defined," said an Insurance Department spokesman.

A possible solution that Muney's lawyer crafted would force patients to pay more than $10 for unplanned procedures.

They are waiting to see if the state will accept the compromise. Still, Muney is unhappy because, he said, "I really don't want to charge more. They're forcing me."

One of his patients, Matthew Robinson, 52, was furious to learn the state was interfering with the plan.

"The whole point is, he [Muney] found a way of paying his rent, paying his workers, and getting to see patients for the price," said Robinson.

"How can the state dictate you've got to charge more?"

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2211907/posts

chloe
11-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Some Doctors have tried to charge their patients a flat monthly fee and guess what - the government has said NO

In my opinion The Hospitals and Doctors get Bullied by the Government, they allow citizens to sue doctors/hospitals much to easily and much too frequently, then they require those professionals to have a high malpractice insurance. Then the government bullies regular citizens by scaring them into believing there is nothing they can do except pay higher rates or higher taxes. The fact is we don't need the government or insurance companies, we only need the doctors and hsopitals to be willing to take money payments directly from the patient for services rendered and I think they would if the government wouldn't bully them with high medical school tuition high malpractice insurance requirements and etc etc. Insurance is a scam, at one time we didnt need it and we still dont.

red states rule
11-20-2009, 10:40 AM
In my opinion The Hospitals and Doctors get Bullied by the Government, they allow citizens to sue doctors/hospitals much to easily and much too frequently, then they require those professionals to have a high malpractice insurance. Then the government bullies regular citizens by scaring them into believing there is nothing they can do except pay higher rates or higher taxes. The fact is we don't need the government or insurance companies, we only need the doctors and hsopitals to be willing to take money payments directly from the patient for services rendered and I think they would if the government wouldn't bully them with high medical school tuition high malpractice insurance requirements and etc etc. Insurance is a scam, at one time we didnt need it and we still dont.

and Dems will make the situation worse with their Obamacare bill. We will see higher costs, rationed care, provate companies put out of business, and the wait at your Dr's office and hospital will remind you of your last trip to your local DMV office

There will be fewer people entering the healthcare profession, and fewer life saving drugs coming to market, and fewer advancements in meical equipement sicne the profit motive will be reduced with government regulations

chloe
11-20-2009, 10:45 AM
and Dems will make the situation worse with their Obamacare bill. We will see higher costs, rationed care, provate companies put out of business, and the wait at your Dr's office and hospital will remind you of your last trip to your local DMV office

There will be fewer people entering the healthcare profession, and fewer life saving drugs coming to market, and fewer advancements in meical equipement sicne the profit motive will be reduced with government regulations

Dems may make it Worse, but prior to dems it has been a problem ever since gov and insurance got involved. they need to stay out of it period !

red states rule
11-20-2009, 11:27 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2774/4120678293_6597c4717a_m.jpg

cat slave
11-22-2009, 11:55 PM

Thats the truth!

cat slave
11-23-2009, 12:02 AM

The Louisana purchase...II! And she did sell out like a prostitute! That
money will be quickly spent and she will have saddled her constituents
with astronomical taxes and rationed health care. Wonder what they
will think of her in a couple of years or less. She might just lose her
job! Hopefully her pimp, Reid will be losing his job soon!

red states rule
11-23-2009, 06:31 AM
The Louisana purchase...II! And she did sell out like a prostitute! That
money will be quickly spent and she will have saddled her constituents
with astronomical taxes and rationed health care. Wonder what they
will think of her in a couple of years or less. She might just lose her
job! Hopefully her pimp, Reid will be losing his job soon!

Look at how much money Dems are spending to get the bill to the floor - I hate to think how much they wil spend once it become law

Dems are having a hard time explaining how the bribes are being handed out

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_XxFZTm9lsY&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_XxFZTm9lsY&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

CSM
11-23-2009, 07:09 AM
What the Congressional idiots in Washington will be debating is a tax bill...pure and simple. It is not a bill for "health care reform" or "universal health care" or anything else they may try to call it.

red states rule
11-23-2009, 07:15 AM
What the Congressional idiots in Washington will be debating is a tax bill...pure and simple. It is not a bill for "health care reform" or "universal health care" or anything else they may try to call it.

Here is a breakdown of the tax increases in the Senate version of Obamacare

17 Tax Increases in Senate Health Care Bill = $370.2 Billion

The Joint Committee on Taxation has published a list of the 17 tax increases in the Senate health care bill, which are estimated to raise $370.2 billion in revenues over ten years:

40% excise tax on health coverage in excess of $8,500/$23,000 ($149.1 billion)

Employer W-2 reporting of value of health (negligible revenue effect)

Conform definition of medical expenses ($5.0 billion)

Increase penalty for nonqualified health savings account distributions to 20% ($1.3 billion)

Limit health flexible spending arrangements in cafeteria plans to $2,500 ($14.6 billion)

Require information reporting on payments to corporations ($17.1 billion)

Additional requirements for section 501(c)(3) hospitals (negligible revenue effects)

Impose annual fee on manufacturers & importers of branded drugs ($22.2 billion)

Impose annual fee on manufacturers & importers of medical devices ($19.3 billion)

Impose annual fee on health insurance providers ($60.4 billion)

Study and report of effect on veterans health care (no revenue effect)

Eliminate deduction for expenses allocable to Medicare Part D subsidy ($5.4 billion)

Raise 7.5% AGI floor on medical expenses deduction to 10% ($15.2 billion)
$500,000 deduction limitation on taxable year remuneration to health insurance officials ($0.6 billion)

Additional 0.5% hospital insurance tax on wages > $200,000 ($250,000 joint) ($53.8 billion)

Modification of section 833 treatment of certain health organizations ($0.4 billion)

Impose 5% excise tax on cosmetic surgery ($5.8 billion)

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2009/11/17-tax-increases.html