PDA

View Full Version : holidays & death in the family

chloe
11-23-2009, 10:50 PM
My ex husbands grandpa died today, I feel bad about it because I didnt get to see him, I just found out he got put in a hospice and then today he passed away. I feel really bad about it.

Jeff
11-24-2009, 01:17 AM
My ex husbands grandpa died today, I feel bad about it because I didnt get to see him, I just found out he got put in a hospice and then today he passed away. I feel really bad about it.

Sorry for your loss Chloe , divorce means y'all couldn't get along with the one you were married to , it doesn't mean ya forget about family members, may he RIP

cat slave
11-24-2009, 02:28 AM
Sorry Chloe. These things feel worse around the holidays, dont they?

chloe
11-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Yeah its weird on holidays, I am still close to his family, his mom took me and the kids to disneyland after the divorce, and last year she took me and the kids and his brother to hawaii. Also his parents are friends with my parents and every year since the divorce we have thanksgiving and xmas together. Plus when my ex husbands girlfriends broke up with him and drove her car throw his house and stole alot of stuff from him he had a breakdown and about 6 months later he closed his practice and so I let him live in my basement for a year rent free. But then he got on my nerves so his mom said lets move him in with grandpa, because grandpa has dementia and needs a care taker, now that grandpa has passed, I am not sure where my ex husband will live.

cat slave
11-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Oh, my!

A dear friend lost her mother back in the summer. She (the mom) was
fiesty, spirited and independent and in her ninties. She was an awesome
cook and all her family is wondering how they will get through the holidays
without the wonderful food she prepared and was known far and wide for.

The "firsts" are always the hardest, first holiday, birthday etc

She will be baking for the angels now.

chloe
11-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Oh, my!

A dear friend lost her mother back in the summer. She (the mom) was
fiesty, spirited and independent and in her ninties. She was an awesome
cook and all her family is wondering how they will get through the holidays
without the wonderful food she prepared and was known far and wide for.

The "firsts" are always the hardest, first holiday, birthday etc

She will be baking for the angels now.

Yeah well I will miss him, even though he had dementia at the end he was funny, one time I went over and baked him chocolate chip cookies, and he was real excited like a little boy he came into the kitchen and sat on a chair by the oven door waiting, it made me laugh, then when my ex husband was eating soem of the cookies, granpda looked at me and made angry faces behind my ex husbands back, then my ex husband left for an appointment, grandpa turns to me and says "I thought he'd never leave" I couldnt stop laughing it was so funny.

HogTrash
11-24-2009, 02:01 PM
My brother-in-law and sisters husband of 42 years is now dying of cancer...He could go any day.

To spare my family the grief during the holidays, I selfishly pray he holds on a little longer.

I feel tremendous guilt for this because of his suffering...For him it is 'the sooner the better'.

He has been a part of the family so long I now think of him as my real big brother that I never had.

I always heard we learn to except and deal with death better as we grow older...This is not so in this case.

Monkeybone
11-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Hog, I know exactly what you are talking about. Dec 2nd of last year I lost my dad to cancer. I was thankful that he basically went in one day and that it didn't drag out over the entire Holidays. Things just don't seem right without his laugh this year though.

Nukeman
11-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Hog, I know exactly what you are talking about. Dec 2nd of last year I lost my dad to cancer. I was thankful that he basically went in one day and that it didn't drag out over the entire Holidays. Things just don't seem right without his laugh this year though.

:salute::beer::salute:

chloe
11-24-2009, 03:41 PM
My brother-in-law and sisters husband of 42 years is now dying of cancer...He could go any day.

To spare my family the grief during the holidays, I selfishly pray he holds on a little longer.

I feel tremendous guilt for this because of his suffering...For him it is 'the sooner the better'.

He has been a part of the family so long I now think of him as my real big brother that I never had.

I always heard we learn to except and deal with death better as we grow older...This is not so in this case.

It is really hard on the holidays because that is a time when family gets together more and has fun. Im sorry that he is suffering, I am also gonna pray he doesn't pass during these holidays but also that his pain is alleviated through joy of having all that love surround him by friends and family.

chloe
11-24-2009, 03:43 PM

Monkey I imagine it is a lonely time this time of year, and my heart goes out to you, I am hoping you have great wonderful memories to reflect on and that they get you through the holidays instead of the memories that make you miss him.

HogTrash
11-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Hog, I know exactly what you are talking about. Dec 2nd of last year I lost my dad to cancer. I was thankful that he basically went in one day and that it didn't drag out over the entire Holidays. Things just don't seem right without his laugh this year though.It is a blessing that your relationsip with your father was close and your memories of him are good and bring you comfort.

This is the type of relationship I have tried to develope with my children and to make them realize the importance of family unity loyalty and love.

I learned many of lifes lessons from my father but he was a very hard and cruel man and sadly, there was very little grief when he died in 1997.

I can think of very few things worse than my children having only bad memories of me when I am gone.

HogTrash
11-25-2009, 12:41 AM
My brother-in-law died a little after midnight est.

chloe
11-25-2009, 08:44 AM

aww sorry for you and your families loss Hog

Kathianne
11-25-2009, 08:51 AM

My condolences.

red states rule
11-25-2009, 09:52 AM

I am so sorry to here about your loss

You and your family are in my prayers

red states rule
11-25-2009, 09:53 AM

My prayers to you as well Chloe

Kathianne
11-25-2009, 10:18 AM

Sorry I missed the op! My condolences to you also.

namvet
11-25-2009, 12:22 PM
I lost my dad on dec 22 -97. it was a black Christmas for us.

HogTrash
11-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanksgiving was me and hims favorite holiday.

Almost every year for 4 decades we gathered around my momma's table.

We were both pretty big fellas and could do some serious damage to momma's turkey day spread.

After that it was a day of football with occasional trips to the kitchen to graze over the left-overs.

Many of my friends are bikers...They are hard-core tough no-nonsense men but none were tougher than my bro...He was awsome.

The cancer that killed him left him in extreme pain and suffering for the last year of his life but never once did I hear a wimper or a complaint.

He was Army and I was Marine and we shared the silent but knowing comradery that I believe is unique to Viet Nam vets.

Thanksgiving is when I will think of him and miss him the most...It was our big day.

May you now feast at an even bigger fuller thanksgiving table my brother and may I someday sit there across from you again.

Jeff
11-25-2009, 07:19 PM

Sorry to hear of it Hog, Damn it just sucks this time of year to lose someone