PDA

View Full Version : Soldier killed in training at U.S. base

LiberalNation
04-18-2007, 07:15 PM
That's sad.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070418/ap_on_re_us/soldier_training_death;_ylt=AjWtjWd9dvXuEcRhRs6jtU 5vzwcF

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. - A soldier with the 101st Airborne Division was killed during a nighttime live-fire exercise at Fort Campbell early Wednesday, the Army said.

The soldier was hit by small arms fire and taken to Blanchfield Army Community Hospital, where he died of his wounds around 4 a.m., Fort Campbell said.

The soldier's name was not immediately released. He was assigned to the 1st Brigade Combat Team at the sprawling Army post on the Kentucky-Tennessee border.

Nighttime drills with live ammunition give soldiers better familiarity with their weapons in dark conditions, said Kelly Tyler, a spokeswoman at the Army post.

"They're called to go on patrols at all hours, so they need to be familiar with their equipment and operating in low-light situations," she said. Soldiers performing the drills are required to wear Kevlar vests and helmets, Tyler said.

She didn't know what kinds of weapons injured the soldier or the circumstances.

The death is under investigation by military officials.

The last Fort Campbell soldier to be similarly killed during a training exercise was in July 2005, when Pfc. Gregory B. Wertz, 19, was shot while training on how to clear buildings of enemy insurgents.

-Cp
04-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Liberals should be shouting:

THAT'S IT! BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!! PULL OUT OF FT. CAMPBELL!! OUR TROOPS ARE DYING NEEDLESSLY!!

LiberalNation
04-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Well it was a needless death but if you’re going to train troops properly accidents will happen. Those are real guns and bombs and humans do make mistakes.

and no I don't think you could equate this with a war or any lib would.

Gunny
04-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Well it was a needless death but if you’re going to train troops properly accidents will happen. Those are real guns and bombs and humans do make mistakes.

and no I don't think you could equate this with a war or any lib would.

It happens more than you think in all branches. My last deployment we lost a Huey and 5 Marines just doing workups off the CA coast.

It just doesn't always make the news.