PDA

View Full Version : Government & Religious Law

chloe
11-29-2009, 02:51 PM
I do think there is a need to Protect Religions in having the right to practice and live there religious beliefs. However, at the same token government should also have laws that protect non-religous people and their beliefs. SO where do you define what the govenrment should pass as law and what they should not pass? For instance if A gay couple wants to marry, and the government passes the law that they can, Should that require all Religious Institutions to marry them if it is against the religious practice of that sect? If a religous person wants an area to pray at work or at school, should a non-religious person take that right away from them?

bullypulpit
11-29-2009, 05:21 PM
That's the purpose of the First Amendment of the Constitution. As for same gender marriage, the only interest the state has with regards to marriage is in the contractual relationship it establishes between spouses. Gender is, and should be, completely irrelevant in respect to this issue. If a church and its congregation don't want to conduct marriage ceremonies for same gender couples that IS their perogative. But there are more than a few out there that do conduct such ceremonies. Again, it is THEIR perogative. The state has no reason to decide, and no business deciding, who can and can't marry beyond the state of marriage being between consenting adults.

chloe
11-29-2009, 05:44 PM
That's the purpose of the First Amendment of the Constitution. As for same gender marriage, the only interest the state has with regards to marriage is in the contractual relationship it establishes between spouses. Gender is, and should be, completely irrelevant in respect to this issue. If a church and its congregation don't want to conduct marriage ceremonies for same gender couples that IS their perogative. But there are more than a few out there that do conduct such ceremonies. Again, it is THEIR perogative. The state has no reason to decide, and no business deciding, who can and can't marry beyond the state of marriage being between consenting adults.

I agree Same sex marriage should be legal. There is no legal reason why it should be prohibited. Government is not the World Council of Religions. So Laws that are made should be based on protecting citizens rights. I think Citizens who are religious should be allowed to live their religion everyday and everywhere, if they want to pray on breaks at work or pray at recess they should be allowed to. I don't see why it is that hard for Government to make a legal decision that allows freedom of expression for people to live with their free-choice. Religious groups should have the right to decline to marry a gay couple based on their religious beliefs.