PDA

View Full Version : DSLR Advice

glockmail
11-30-2009, 09:07 PM
My 15 year old wants one for Christmas. I've tried to convince her to get something more practical, like a Pentax W80, which is small, lightweight, waterproof, shockproof, etc., but to no avail. My budget is $320 (that's what I paid for my son's shock proof helmet cam) so new is out of the question. Any practical advice would be appreciated.

crin63
11-30-2009, 09:31 PM
I bought my D80's off craigslist. You might find a used DSLR on there.

chloe
11-30-2009, 09:33 PM
My 15 year old wants one for Christmas. I've tried to convince her to get something more practical, like a Pentax W80, which is small, lightweight, waterproof, shockproof, etc., but to no avail. My budget is $320 (that's what I paid for my son's shock proof helmet cam) so new is out of the question. Any practical advice would be appreciated.

Buy her the camera she wants and deduct money off the birthday gift.

glockmail
11-30-2009, 10:08 PM
I bought my D80's off craigslist. You might find a used DSLR on there. I don't trust craigs list. I'm looking in ebay though.

glockmail
11-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Buy her the camera she wants and deduct money off the birthday gift. Not a bad idea but it's in / was September.

chloe
11-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Not a bad idea but it's in / was September.

That's ok she is old enough to decide if its worth it to her, to get less next september.

glockmail
12-01-2009, 08:56 AM
That's ok she is old enough to decide if its worth it to her, to get less next september. We're not big on big gifts anyway. They get what they need when they need it.

I have a bid on a Nikon D60 at my budget price less shipping. There are plenty on ebay and I'll keep doing this until I get the price I want. At the same time I'm working on her about the Pentax.

chloe
12-01-2009, 08:58 AM
We're not big on big gifts anyway. They get what they need when they need it.

I have a bid on a Nikon D60 at my budget price less shipping. There are plenty on ebay and I'll keep doing this until I get the price I want. At the same time I'm working on her about the Pentax.

I'm the same way with my girls, they get what they need and sometimes one gets more spent on them then the other. But with Christmas its usually just money now. I remember though when they used to have to have everything be fair and if one of them wanted something more expensive, I just made them take it from their birthday budget. LOL