PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson’s district director subpoenaed

stephanie
04-19-2007, 01:11 AM
Oh oh..
By Susan Crabtree and Mike Soraghan
April 18, 2007
The district director of Rep. William Jefferson (D-La.) has been subpoenaed to appear before a grand jury in the federal investigation that has been dogging Jefferson since last year.

The district director, Stephanie Butler, notified the Clerk of the House that she has received a subpoena to appear before a grand jury meeting in the Eastern District of Virginia, which is headquartered in Alexandria. Butler’s announcement was read on the floor Wednesday evening.

Subpoenas issued by executive branch agencies, like the Justice Department, must be reported to the House Clerk because of separation of powers and speech-and-debate clause issues. Jefferson has claimed in court that a raid on his office last year was unconstitutional because it trampled on congressional independence.

The subpoena is part of a 16-month international bribery investigation of Jefferson, who allegedly accepted $100,000 from a telecommunications businessman. Of that, $90,000 was later recovered in a freezer in the congressman's D.C. home.
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/jeffersons-district-director-subpoenaed-2007-04-18.html

Samantha
04-19-2007, 01:16 AM
It's about time they get the ball rolling on this case. The money has some connection to Nigeria or some place...It's Hastert and Frist and Pelosi holding up the investigation because they don't want congressional offices searched by the FBI. I'm glad somethings finally starting. That man should have resigned as soon as he was caught with the money in his freezer.

stephanie
04-19-2007, 01:28 AM
It's about time they get the ball rolling on this case. The money has some connection to Nigeria or some place...It's Hastert and Frist and Pelosi holding up the investigation because they don't want congressional offices searched by the FBI. I'm glad somethings finally starting. That man should have resigned as soon as he was caught with the money in his freezer.

Wooo hooo....We finally agree on something....J/K

Your absolutely right..I'm all for taking any and all crooks out of Congress..
That's why I believe we should have term limits...I'm beginning to believe that more and more, every yr. watching some of the BS that these Congresscritter(and that's both sides Dems and Repugs) are pulling..

Samantha
04-19-2007, 01:32 AM
I'm not sure about term limits, there are some good ones in there that I'd like to see stay. But I am very strongly for weeding out the crooks asap. All of them.

stephanie
04-19-2007, 01:43 AM
All of them.

I know you wanted to go further with that quote........didn't you..

But you didn't.....:laugh2: :cheers2:

Baron Von Esslingen
04-20-2007, 11:59 AM
There are term limits already. They are called voters where I live.

stephanie
04-20-2007, 12:06 PM

No shit..sherlock..:cheers2:

I still wonder if term limits might be good for members in Congress??

Baron Von Esslingen
04-20-2007, 12:14 PM
There were term limits on the GOP in 2006, Sherlock.

Birdzeye
04-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Well, I actually like the idea of term limits. Maybe not a lifetime limit, but perhaps a limit to the number of consecutive terms one can serve in an elective office.

I believe that Virginia has a one-term limit for its governor's position, but that a former governor can run for office after being out for one term.

I like the idea because it can take away the incumbent advantage.

stephanie
04-20-2007, 12:24 PM
There were term limits on the GOP in 2006, Sherlock.

:laugh2:

Baron Von Esslingen
04-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Well, I actually like the idea of term limits. Maybe not a lifetime limit, but perhaps a limit to the number of consecutive terms one can serve in an elective office.

I believe that Virginia has a one-term limit for its governor's position, but that a former governor can run for office after being out for one term.

I'd support it if we could remove the 22nd Amendment as well. Bubba could do an FDR and get re-elected two or three more times and fix all the shit that Chimpy broke. Whadda ya say, Birdz?

Birdzeye
04-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Dunno, Baron. It would mean King George could make a comeback too. Not worth the risk. :coffee:

Sitarro
04-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I'd support it if we could remove the 22nd Amendment as well. Bubba could do an FDR and get re-elected two or three more times and fix all the shit that Chimpy broke. Whadda ya say, Birdz?

You are just too stupid to own a MAC...... emachine would be more fitting.

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure about term limits, there are some good ones in there that I'd like to see stay. But I am very strongly for weeding out the crooks asap. All of them.

Purrsonally, I'd like to see the president get ONE six year term... that's the only term limit I support...

RE: Jefferson... I agree... it's about time something was done with this case...

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 01:25 PM

quite true...

:dance:

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 01:26 PM

It also can keep the incumbent from campaigning instead of governing...

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 01:27 PM

:lol:

uhhhh, I'm not a fan of bubba... he helped pass NAFTA and GATT... and (edit) if you recall... both of those were proffered by George the first...