PDA

View Full Version : New York state lawmakers reject gay marriage bill

jimnyc
12-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Yup, the homo ship is slowly sinking! For one day at least I am a proud New Yorker! :laugh2:

ALBANY, N.Y. – New York lawmakers rejected a bill Wednesday that would have made their state the sixth to allow gay marriage, stunning advocates who weathered a similar decision by Maine voters just last month.

The New York measure needed 32 votes to pass and failed by a wider-than-expected margin, falling eight votes short in a 24-38 decision by the state Senate. The Assembly had earlier approved the bill, and Gov. David Paterson, perhaps the bill's strongest advocate, had pledged to sign it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gay_marriage_ny

Jeff
12-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Yup, the homo ship is slowly sinking! For one day at least I am a proud New Yorker! :laugh2:

ALBANY, N.Y. – New York lawmakers rejected a bill Wednesday that would have made their state the sixth to allow gay marriage, stunning advocates who weathered a similar decision by Maine voters just last month.

The New York measure needed 32 votes to pass and failed by a wider-than-expected margin, falling eight votes short in a 24-38 decision by the state Senate. The Assembly had earlier approved the bill, and Gov. David Paterson, perhaps the bill's strongest advocate, had pledged to sign it.

Chalk one up for NY

bullypulpit
12-04-2009, 06:01 AM

And just what, exactly, was the rationale of those who voted against this bill? I mean besides outright homophobia and and religious dogma?

Was there any evidence of demonstrable harm to the community at large presented or even discussed? Doubtful. Religious intolerance and dumb fear rule the day when the rights of same gender couples to marry are tossed into the political arena. What should prompt serious discussion simply degenerates into something resembling a poop-fight in a monkey house on the part of the political right.

red states rule
12-04-2009, 09:38 AM
And just what, exactly, was the rationale of those who voted against this bill? I mean besides outright homophobia and and religious dogma?

Was there any evidence of demonstrable harm to the community at large presented or even discussed? Doubtful. Religious intolerance and dumb fear rule the day when the rights of same gender couples to marry are tossed into the political arena. What should prompt serious discussion simply degenerates into something resembling a poop-fight in a monkey house on the part of the political right.

Turning on your fellow libs BP? Where is your tolerance? Where is your desire to have an open mind and rational discussion of the issue?

Will you be moving out of NY as a sign of protest?

How can you blame the right when NY is such a blue state and run by Dems? Whenever you guys lose a political fight, you attack and try to pass the buck when your own vote against your own bills

jimnyc
12-04-2009, 09:42 AM

I honestly can't speak for those in the local government. I haven't spoke to them, nor have I read many quotes from them in the local papers here.

I do know this much though... If they desire to be in office come the next elections, they would have voted no. Even here in Democrat central of NY, most are opposed. These leaders are supposed to, or should, vote based on what their constituents want, and feel, is best for our state.

And you can blame the right all day long and it'll never be true. Dems have the majority all over the place, and this is the 32nd state to do away with the homo agenda. Seems 8 Dems had a handful of the monkey poop too from NY!

red states rule
12-04-2009, 09:43 AM
I honestly can't speak for those in the local government. I haven't spoke to them, nor have I read many quotes from them in the local papers here.

I do know this much though... If they desire to be in office come the next elections, they would have voted no. Even here in Democrat central of NY, most are opposed. These leaders are supposed to, or should, vote based on what their constituents want, and feel, is best for our state.

And you can blame the right all day long and it'll never be true. Dems have the majority all over the place, and this is the 32nd state to do away with the homo agenda. Seems 8 Dems had a handful of the monkey poop too from NY!

I can only think BP is as pissed off as Virgil was when Maine voted against gay marriage :laugh2: